Is it thrown around too much these days? A lot of times the word 'classic' is tagged onto a release simply because its older, regardless of the quality. Is there any real reason for this besides a selling point? What classifies a 'classic' album?
I would think it'd have to be something that people know. Doesn't matter if they KNOW what it is, just know a tune or riff or whatever. I mean, as much as most of us hate to say it, EVERYONE knows Back in Black. Classic. Rock and Roll by Zeppelin is another.
Quote by Sooopo
You sir, have made my day awesome.

8/7/09

RIP Les Paul, I bet he's forming a kick-ass band up there to play The Great Gig in the Sky. Maybe we'll all have to use a Stairway to Heaven to go see them play. You know I'm funny.
Yeah man, my dad loves Nocturnus' The Key, and my mom spins my copy of None so vile everyday.

popularity =/= classic.

The only reason the two are related is because of the aforementioned qualities classic albums have - these attract more people to listen to them, and more people become fans of it. But a classic album is still "classic" regardless of how many people have heard of it (in my mind).
Last edited by technicolour at Jun 8, 2010,
Yeah man, I just wrote an album that is a bonefide classic. Only I have heard it, but it's definitely a classic.

:p
It's a small combination of both I reckon. Morbid Angel's first three releases immediately come to mind as classics. Not too obscure and still defines the DM sound perfectly
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Epicus Doomicus Metallicus - classic.
Black Sabbath - classic.
Pure Holocaust - classic.
Forest of Equilibrium - classic.
Scream Bloody Gore - classic.
To Mega Therion - classic.

You get the picture...
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Well, it has to be wide ranging enough to influence people. Preferably a large number of people. And I didn't say you had to like it, just that you had to know it.
Quote by Sooopo

8/7/09

RIP Les Paul, I bet he's forming a kick-ass band up there to play The Great Gig in the Sky. Maybe we'll all have to use a Stairway to Heaven to go see them play. You know I'm funny.
I don't think the amount of people who know it matters all that much. Hvis is a classic BM record, but it's safe to say people who don't listen to BM have never heard of it in their entire life.
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Well classic applies to different things. Classic in terms of music in general, classic in terms of genres, classic in terms of individual bands, groups, and artists. I'm sure all/most BM fans have listened to or are aware of Hvis.
Quote by Sooopo

8/7/09

Interesting thread. In objective terms I suppose you could say that a 'classic' is an album that countless bands have cited as influence, say like 'Effigy of The Forgotten' or 'Black Metal'...you know, albums where you can clearly hear traces of in tons of other albums. But in that sense, there are plenty of 'classics' I wouldn't listen to.

A classic in my terms, at least, is an album that I can listen to over and over again and still be moved by it, or still discover new things every time I hear it. However, some of these overlap with the definition I gave above, in that they are influential to me personally and also to plenty of bands, i.e.

Suffocation - Human Waste
Saint Vitus - Born Too Late
Autopsy - Severed Survival
Sodom - Obsessed By Cruelty

etc.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
INRI as well, Strangle. Was listening to that earlier today, and every riff still feels so kick ass and fresh...
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Oh yeah sure, that was just a small few of them! Id love to have been around at the time that some of these albums were released, just to witness the impact theyd have made on metal. Born Too Late indeed, haha.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
I'd say it hinges on influence and, partly, how well-known it is. Severed Survival, Hvis, Blessed are the Sick etc etc would get it without a doubt, as they're still getting namedropped as fantastic albums however many years later. I don't think there's really any need for pioneering or groundbreaking as such, even though it's obviously a plus - there was nothing new about Winds of Creation, but it's just a fantastic album that a lot of people will namedrop, both in terms of how cool it is and how it's influenced so much.

The flipside is that brilliant albums that come out and get overlooked wouldn't be called classics. In twenty years' time, I'd suspect Worlds Beyond the Veil will be completely forgotten, as Mithras haven't been lucky at promoting themselves since they've existed and I don't see Macey etc. giving up the day jobs to constantly tour anytime soon. As such I don't know whether, in ten years' time, I could call it a classic. It's a class album, but if it hasn't had much in the way of influence and most people have no idea what it is, then it wouldn't be classic.

I think.
Like Stranglehold said that album should make you want to listen to it even after say 10-15 years have gone by..because it still appeals to you and feels as fresh as when it came out.
I don't think popularity has anything to do with being a "classic". All that is truly required is for it to be a high-quality, enduring piece. I would call Dream Theater's Images and Words a classic album before I would ... And Justice for All, for example.

"Classic," by its very nature, is subjective. We have our own perceptions of quality, so what I think is "classic" will not necessarily be what the next person thinks is. Society's standards of "classic" will be the majority rule of this, inevitably causing the illusion of "popularity = classic," which is probably the furthest from the truth. Having said that, classics usually are the ones that draw people in to a particular style, because they are the higher-quality and more-enduring releases of those genres. They are popular because they're classics, but they are not classics just because they are popular.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Wikipedia sums it up quite nicely
"The word classic means something that is a perfect example of a particular style, something of lasting worth or with a timeless quality."
if you're talking about metal, classic means that "Black Sabbath" or "Iron Maiden" should be on the album cover.
Quote by AnnihiSlateR
Wikipedia sums it up quite nicely
"The word classic means something that is a perfect example of a particular style, something of lasting worth or with a timeless quality."

I'd say that was right on the money.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Great thread!!!

Metal is a generational thing, and as I was into thrash (being that I was ten or so when it was the new, innovative thing) I saw that as "metal," and kind of accepted the fact that bands like Maiden or Judas Priest or Black Sabbath were the fore-runners.

Whether I liked them or not was not the point. The point was I had to respect their existence and influence on the genre. That's a classic. It's a piece of work that regardless of someone's opinion stands for something. It represents that genre at that time and does it very, very well.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Last edited by Bubonic Chronic at Jun 8, 2010,
Yeah, I think the word classic is generally applicable to those bands which have withstood the test of time. So whatever's out today may become classic 20 years down the road, if people are still talking about it, influenced by it, etc.
An album that is still remembered and still respected as a great album a long time after its release. For example Black Sabbath's Paranoid, or Judas Priest's Breakin' the law would be considered classic albums. a band really can't be classic because it is the music that is made classic not the people.