I've got a peavey vypyr 75. I use the recto with the tube screamer effect it sounds great but if I were to try to push it a little further and get a heavier and more gainy sound could i use an overdrive pedal? Like a zakk wylde overdrive? Please don't go on to tell me "go get a tube amp that peavey sucks blah blah blah" cuz I love this amp and I don't want a tube amp. I've heard different things about running an overdrive pedal through a distorted SS amp and I'm not sure what to do. I don't know whole lot about this stuff. I know a distortion pedal in front of a distorted amp makes horrible sound. Would od be different? What if I try a noise canceller with it? Dime used ss randalls and the zakk overdrive so maybe I can too? I watched a video of roland cube 60 and demarco had it on a distortion channel and used an external boss distortion and it put it in overkill distortion mode that's kinda what I'm going for. Any suggestions/thoughts?
Epiphone LP Special II Mr. Skull w/ Dimebucker, Jackson DKMG w/ EMG 81/85 black, Halo Satyr 7 in black, Dunlop Original Crybaby wah (yes, the cheap one) in PINK, Line6 Spider III 15, Peavey Vypyr 75 Sanpera 2, Jazz III picks, Yamaha F325 acoustic
The ZW-44 came out right before Dime died. And AFAIK he didn't use any dirt boxes. It would be noisy as hell and I'm not sure why you need more gain.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Yea you could try another od pedal. I would go with the Boss SD-1. However, if you go this route a noise suppressor is a MUST! I would recommend either the Boss NS-2 (some say it chokes off tone but it hasn't done that to me). Also, check out the ISP decimator. Finally, if you chose to boost the amp with an overdrive pedal, I would not use the tube screamer on the amp. I would just go amp model and od pedal, just something to think about.
I saw a video of dime and his pedal board was on the floor with his wah and a zakk overdrive I promise you it was there.

I'm tryin to push the amp a little further into dime-zone :P

hmm I'll give that a try i didn't think about turning off the TS on the amp thanks!
Epiphone LP Special II Mr. Skull w/ Dimebucker, Jackson DKMG w/ EMG 81/85 black, Halo Satyr 7 in black, Dunlop Original Crybaby wah (yes, the cheap one) in PINK, Line6 Spider III 15, Peavey Vypyr 75 Sanpera 2, Jazz III picks, Yamaha F325 acoustic
Well if you crank the level up on the overdrive pedal it will clip the transistors and sound bad. But if you keep the level low and just slightly more gain with the pedal it will sound better but I wouldn't call it great at all.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Welcome, an OD into your fav amp model might do the trick, as long as you have some sort of noise reduction. Basically though, it sounds (I know you don't want to hear this) like you are attempting to create tube like saturation and feel without a tube amp. If i were you, I would buy an OD, NS-2, and use the vyper for a while, and then save some money and check out guitarcenter's used gear section and look at Peavey 5150's. That way, you will have an od and noise suppressor to use with the tube amp in the near future.
well I know 5150's sound killer but I change my tone more than girls change moods. I was about to buy an old randall RG75 but my friend sold me his vypyr that i've been borrowing for months. I love to create lots of new tones and get all sorts of awesome sounds and damnit I need a modeling amp lol. A tube half stack wouldn't let me do that very well. It'd be hard for me to stick to one tone ya know? With the vypyr i can do as i lay dying, metalica, killswitch engage, trivium any tone i can think of except for pantera. Dime sound was the only reason for me going for the randall but I decided I'll live lol. I could buy dime pedal anyways :P But I'll go to guitar center and try out some OD pedals and some noise suppressors thanks for the replies!!