Ok so this summer I'm out with my dad and we thought to build a guitar. Were not expecting much, we just want to have some fun and what not.

I was planning on having it a telecaster body shape, with a single pup at the neck with no pick guard (I'm mostly a bassist and when I play guitar I fingerpick). I was planning on haveing a tone and volume knob only (no switches to keep things really simple)

We have enough maple for the body (if it's thick enough) and have all tools + wireing experience.

We just have a few questions:

How thick does the body have to be? (or should be)

How far does the bridge have to be from the neck slot?

Would useing a pup like the one found HERE be ok? (tone isn't a problem we just want something that works, willing to pay more, but we have a budget)

What kind of wires are best? (guessing braded but what thickness)

What cap do I use for the tone pot?

If I do the build I'll be sure to post picks with my progress for ya'll.
Random off brand P Bass (Fretless)
SR 485 Sound gear 5 string bass
60's Crown violin bass
Rogue RA-100D Acoustic Guitar
-
Peavey TNT 115 Bass Amp
Bass Big Muff pi
Dunlop Crybaby Bass Wah
Vintage Tele's are generally 1-3/4" thick.
As for the pickup, I may be reading it wrong, but a buy it now price of $1.00?
I'm confuzed there. You should get a GFS pickup instead, I wouldn't really trust a POS from Hong Kong.

Question:
How do you plan on making the hole groing from the neck pup, to the control cavity, or output(Whatever your doing)?
..I was watching my death.
Quote by timbit2006
Vintage Tele's are generally 1-3/4" thick.
As for the pickup, I may be reading it wrong, but a buy it now price of $1.00?
I'm confuzed there. You should get a GFS pickup instead, I wouldn't really trust a POS from Hong Kong.

Question:
How do you plan on making the hole groing from the neck pup, to the control cavity, or output(Whatever your doing)?

Ya it says $1 that's why I'm wondering if they would be ok.

I'll look into the GFS thing.

We have a tool to make the cavities (Idk what that tool is called) and we'll probably find a way to use a drill to go from pup to the control cavity.

Quote by DisasterMatt
Yeah I'd go with a GFS pickup @ http://guitarfetish.com . They have special pickups made specifically for teles.

You can also get a lot of parts from there.

Checked it out and would I be able to use a Humbucker pup by the neck if I wanted?

Also I was thinking, and the cheapest way for me to get a neck (that I can think of, I'm not going to build one) would be to buy a old beat up guitar. So I'm planning on getting this beat up bass wood starter bass from a garage sale or something and scrap pups from that. Would the pups from that be ok? Again, I'm not verry woried about tone so cheap pups don't bother me as long as they work.
Random off brand P Bass (Fretless)
SR 485 Sound gear 5 string bass
60's Crown violin bass
Rogue RA-100D Acoustic Guitar
-
Peavey TNT 115 Bass Amp
Bass Big Muff pi
Dunlop Crybaby Bass Wah