So this week I was looking into buying an overdrive pedal, perhaps an ibanez TS, and i watched all of these demo videos on youtube. All of these people were turning back the gain, pumping the volume, and then adjusting the TONE knob too, and it sounded freaking awesome.

So I tried futzing with those lovely knobs on the pedals I actually own and, wow, what a ****ing difference.

I'm a changed man.

I've a Big Muff Pi and an MI audio crunch box that sound so much better now. Previously I had the tone cranked all of the way treble but didn't realize why at high volumes the pedals sounded terrible. Since I mostly play soft (due to NYC neighbors) I never knew, but I've recently started playing in a practice studio (where we can crank it) and the pedals were unusable.

Anyway, that was my epiphany for the week. Now, I'm thinking of getting a Fulltone Full Drive 2 Mosfet instead of that tubescreamer, but I'm not sure. Any opinions?
I dunno the ocd from full tone sounds great.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Sounds to me like what you really want is a nice EQ pedal.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
lol.

I'd probably be using it to gain dirt on top of my peavey classic 30. But also standalone. You know, a bit of both perhaps.

I hadn't thought of an EQ though. hmm.