So I would like to know what your favorite/most listened to/most played genre of music is and why exactly you like it. If you have a band that doesn't really fit, or if your own band doesn't really fit, try and describe your sound.
I love punk and some new wave, especially all things British and West Coast. I love the vibe and feel of it, the simplicity, the versatility, all that good stuff. Favorite bands include The Clash, Rancid, The Libertines, The Vapors.
So how about y'all?
Quote by Sooopo
You sir, have made my day awesome.

8/7/09

RIP Les Paul, I bet he's forming a kick-ass band up there to play The Great Gig in the Sky. Maybe we'll all have to use a Stairway to Heaven to go see them play. You know I'm funny.
perfect combination of technical skill and good songwriting, songs aren't about blah blah blah im depressed i hate the world my life sucks blah blah blah
I don't have a favorite genre really. I go from ska to metal to pop. I don't know.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
Quote by lzcougarz3
perfect combination of technical skill and good songwriting, songs aren't about blah blah blah im depressed i hate the world my life sucks blah blah blah

This
I listen to metal mostly, but I listen to pretty much everything. I love melodic sections in songs, and either a few catchy riffs or punch you in the jaw heaviness all-in-one, as well as those 13-minute slow epics. Avenged Sevenfold, being my favorite band, satisfies this perfectly for my liking. My next favorite bands are BLS, GN'R, Metallica, and Rob Zombie.

IMO, lyrics aren't near as important as how they're delivered. The lyrics can be the most boring bland lyrics ever, as long as the vocalist makes it soud good and go with the song. Also, I can't stand growling/screaming vocals 9 times out of 10. Few screaming/growling bands I like include Children of Bodom, Amon Amarth, Dethklok, Lamb of God, and very few others.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
I don't have a favorite genre by any means, but there are some common factors with the music I do like (that aren't genre specific). I really dig a big sound, especially one that builds as the song goes on. I also need the lead instrument to be really melodic and/or flow very smoothly. I really dig intricate arrangements.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Quote by guitarsftw
I don't have a favorite genre by any means, but there are some common factors with the music I do like (that aren't genre specific). I really dig a big sound, especially one that builds as the song goes on. I also need the lead instrument to be really melodic and/or flow very smoothly. I really dig intricate arrangements.

You might like British Sea Power
Quote by Sooopo
You sir, have made my day awesome.

8/7/09

RIP Les Paul, I bet he's forming a kick-ass band up there to play The Great Gig in the Sky. Maybe we'll all have to use a Stairway to Heaven to go see them play. You know I'm funny.
I don't know really. Everything that I really, really like has just "clicked" for me. I can't really explain it.
i like a lot of really pretty sounding technicality. Fall of Troy, This Town Needs Guns, As Tall as Lions, Circa Survive, that sort of thing.
i also have a thing for emo music.
so hate me
with jam there is just such a elevated level of freedom. it feels fantastic to just take a song structure and blow it up.
Quote by ripjoestrummer
You might like British Sea Power

I actually really do not like that style of music. I was thinking more along the lines of Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, James Brown, Meat Loaf, that sort of thing.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
I like how the emotions are delivered through the instruments and they leave an impact on me
Quote by jibran
I go to the pit only to just look at your creepy perverted username.

My Tumblr
Good melodies, use of structure and tension to create climaxes, emotional power, complexity and interestingness, atmosphere (preferably dark), creative use of tone colour.

I like anything that does most of those.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
I have a serious problem with any musician living in a mansion.

That being said, I like all kinds of music. I gravitate towards the heavier side of things, like Drawn and Quartered, Arvinger, even The Witchfinder General (pretty heavy for the 60s!)
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Hip hop music is probably my most listened to genre. It has the best lyrics of all genres (that and blues and jazz). I identify a lot with the hip hop culture. Also, there's nothing nicer to listen to than a well made beat. Seriously.
The most fascinating part of my favorite music is the rich and diverse polyphonic texture that Bach created. In some ways, Bach was very limited in the musical resources that were available to him. Newer music has so many parameters at disposal, such as instrumentation and dynamics. Bach was often relegated to the harpsichord, a very static instrument. So he had rely on purely the notes and voices and how they interacted with each each other to generate interesting music. And with these limited parameters, he created marvelous fugues, in which every voice had such independent integrity, yet worked together so well to create rich harmonies that are still being stolen and borrowed by all kinds of music today. People have been able to break down his methods into a science, yet very few can reverse engineer the musicality that he was able to achieve in these technical compositions.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Sharp hooks and riffs with big balls.

Also, I guess they're harmonies.. something. I like that too.
I like/try to play spacey ambient progressive post rock/metal with stoner/doom/drone influences.

I also enjoy listening to or playing all of the above genres.

and some hard rock/metal..