Well ive been playing for quite a while now but im only self taught. I have basic middle school band knowledge of music but am in college now so its sort of faded. I find myself extremely bored b/c my arsenal has not expanded for soloing or riffing in so long.

I have a dumb dumb question but it needs answering really bad.

I only solo over the 1. That is, if im jammin, i only solo in one scale up and down an E for instance and go figure- its the pentatonic... How do I solo over more than just the 1? and I mean I dont know what other scales would work over what chords...how do i use the whole neck instead of just one position.

Please save my guitar experience! Thanks for all help- much appreciated!
Learn your theory.

Learn how the major scale works and learn how to harmonise it to create chords. Harmonising a scale gives you the chords of that key - because the chords all contain notes from that scale you can happily use that scale over those chords.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Let me see if I know what you mean. I assume you're talking about the box position that so many beginner guitarists use over and over again. Correct?
If that's what you're talking about, I'm right here with you dude. I've tried to do some research on scales, etc. and it's done very little for me. Google is no substitute for a real music teacher.
Guys, please answer this guys question. It would extremely help me, too. Who knows? It could help lots of people!
Quote by Unit 731
Let me see if I know what you mean. I assume you're talking about the box position that so many beginner guitarists use over and over again. Correct?
If that's what you're talking about, I'm right here with you dude. I've tried to do some research on scales, etc. and it's done very little for me. Google is no substitute for a real music teacher.
Guys, please answer this guys question. It would extremely help me, too. Who knows? It could help lots of people!

dispelling the horrors associated with it, your username is kickass.

but this question has already been answered:

Quote by steven seagull
Learn your theory.

Learn how the major scale works and learn how to harmonise it to create chords. Harmonising a scale gives you the chords of that key - because the chords all contain notes from that scale you can happily use that scale over those chords.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by AeolianWolf
dispelling the horrors associated with it, your username is kickass.:

aaw but i picked it specifically for its horrors!
i freak ppl out to get attention. i'm starved of it

Quote by AeolianWolf
but this question has already been answered:

He posted the answer as I was writing.
Quote by Unit 731
aaw but i picked it specifically for its horrors!
i freak ppl out to get attention. i'm starved of it

well, you caught mine -- i'm a freak for anything even remotely involving WWII.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by angus_says
and I mean I dont know what other scales would work over what chords...
Most of the time, the same scale works over the whole progression. Try it with a simple progression, like a I IV V, and just mess around with the parent scale. Your ear will tell you if what you're playing is right.

Quote by angus_says
how do i use the whole neck instead of just one position.
Well... you move to different positions. That's it. A scale is a set of notes which repeat endlessly after hitting an octave. If you learn the notes of your fretboard, you will start to see how you can start to move (within a scale) outside of the original position.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by AeolianWolf
well, you caught mine -- i'm a freak for anything even remotely involving WWII.

I love WWII stuff. I'm especially interested in the concentration camps and the experiments within. I've tried writing music about it, but every idea I have has already been done by Slayer lol.