Hey guys,

I've finally decided to get a new amp, got a bit of a dilemma choosing the right one...

I'm looking for a first all valve amp, which would be suited for recording and small gigs. (bars, clubs etc.)

I'm not looking for tons of built in effects; I want to keep it simple, and I want an amp I can run overdrive and effects pedals off - I wouldn't mind built in reverb though. I would want Bass, Mid, Treble EQ, maybe a gain or drive setting...

I'm probably looking at a combo amp, for easy transport/size and convenience I guess... but I'm not completely sure. I'm looking at paying around $1000 - $2000 AUD, which is around $800 - $2000 US, 600 - 1400 pounds. (I think)

My favorite tone is stuff like QOTSA, Smashing Pumpkins, Jimi Hendrix, White Stripes, Them Crooked Vultures, Pixies... I've been looking online and the Fender twin reverb or hot rod deville look pretty amazing (from what I've seen on proguitarshop demos on youtube), but then guys at my local music store say the Egnater rebel series are really good, and then some mates have said the Orange dual terror series would be awesome...

Any advice would be appreciated
The White Stripes definitive amp is the Fender Twin Reverb - so i guess that ticks most of the boxs on there, that kinda OD'y bluesy stuff
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Sorry to do this, but indulge me. I'll give proper advice after I see whether I'm right or not.

Without having read your requirements for an amp, judging from your generic title, you're looking for a mid-sized valve amp combo or stack, around about 50 watts; that is to say, something you can tug along to pubs/clubs/small venues. You're looking for a good clean channel and (a) decent distortion channel(s). You're looking for versatility in this amp, as you play a range of styles from rock to metal, and you also get a lot of your sound from your pedals.

Am I right?

EDIT:

Close enough.

I'm in your situation as well, mate; originally I got a Bugera V55, and although it had great cleans, the OD channel was not that versatile. Plus it crapped out a few times, so I returned it. I'm checking out the Blackstar HT-40 - I've heard good things about its reliability, cleans and distortions. Plus it has built-in reverb. Haven't tried it yet, as I'm going overseas in a few weeks, but it sounds really promising. Whereabouts in Aus are you, mate?

DOUBLE-EDIT:

Check for Blackstar dealers in Perth, I suppose. And not many people like the OD channel of the lower Fender amps (Hot Rod Deluxe, etc). Jack White uses it successfully, but his tone is pretty shrieky, haha. Something I'd love playing garage rock, but maybe not so much for my sound.
Last edited by NakedInTheRain at Jun 8, 2010,
I'm in Perth
Yeah, they sell Blackstars at my local shop, but the ones there were expensive as hell - around $3000 for the head alone, so probably not in my territory. I'd be considering if I had more money....
Overall for price so far the twin reverb is looking the best, but I'm not sure if the low end will be as fat as I like it
Quote by Boss_Funbro
I'm in Perth
Yeah, they sell Blackstars at my local shop, but the ones there were expensive as hell - around $3000 for the head alone, so probably not in my territory. I'd be considering if I had more money....
Overall for price so far the twin reverb is looking the best, but I'm not sure if the low end will be as fat as I like it

Really? The HT-40 retails for about $1300 at my not-so-local music store. I can get it for $999 if I hold them to their website prices.

EDIT: link
Last edited by NakedInTheRain at Jun 8, 2010,
Oh, really
In all fairness, I can't really make judgement on price, there wasn't much variation on the blackstar stuff... I'll check the HT-40

EDIT: looked at the amp on youtube, sounds pretty damn awesome, and has all the settings I would need... thanks for the help
Last edited by Boss_Funbro at Jun 8, 2010,
There's not really a lot of point quoting the exchange rate because amps are twice as much again anyway.
Your best bet is to find something used like a Marshall JCM, just about any of them will cover you needs really. $2K will buy you a new TSL601. It's do but used you'll get more amp than that.
There were quite a few Laney AORs sold too, worth looking for.
You should find a nice used Fender Twin for under $2k used, you could even luck upon a blackface if you're lucky. The closest thing new is the Hot Rod Deluxe which has a nice clean channel you can push. They cost about $1600 new and for that you could get a real Twin.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Boss_Funbro
Oh, really
In all fairness, I can't really make judgement on price, there wasn't much variation on the blackstar stuff... I'll check the HT-40

EDIT: looked at the amp on youtube, sounds pretty damn awesome, and has all the settings I would need... thanks for the help

Hey mate,

I am from Perth looking for a Ht-5 and have done a bit of price searching. Basically, the best bet is to go with musos and get it couried over from eastern states, will save you a few hundred.

http://musoscorner.com.au/site/index.cfm?module=STORETIGERV2&bit=products&product_id=195301&cart_id=CAA39F75-FDCC-7015-73FA1A494DF86CDA&category_code=all
Quote by Effecient
Hey mate,

I am from Perth looking for a Ht-5 and have done a bit of price searching. Basically, the best bet is to go with musos and get it couried over from eastern states, will save you a few hundred.

http://musoscorner.com.au/site/index.cfm?module=STORETIGERV2&bit=products&product_id=195301&cart_id=CAA39F75-FDCC-7015-73FA1A494DF86CDA&category_code=all

Woah, there are some bargains on that site at the minute