Hi, I am looking at buying a new amp rather soon and am wondering what would be the best amp, for under $1500, that would get me a similar tone to Them Crooked Vultures and the Black Keys?

Really what I am looking for is sort of that dirty bluesy sound. Would a blues junior and some pedals be able to pull this off?

Also, I can get a decent deal on a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe? How would that go?

Thankyou for your time and contribution.
I've got a HRD, and you can pick them up used for like $615, new for $700. When I saw the Black Keys a few years ago, I remember him using a Fender of some kind, with a Marshall half stack. He split his signal using an AB/Y box. If you really want to nail Dan's sound here's a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Auerbach#Amplifiers . You might want to try a Big Muff or on of its cousin's to get that sound. Here's what Josh Homme uses: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_Homme#Musical_equipment . It only talks about QOTSA equipment, but I imagine it's similar.
My Gear:

MIM Fat Strat
Ibanez V70CE
Epiphone S-210
Danelectro '59 Factory Spec Reissue
Godin 5th Ave Kingpin

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (x2)
Crybaby 535Q Wah
Marshall Regenerator
EHX Little Big Muff
BBE "Supa-Charger" Power Supply
Ooooh, I am also looking at a Hot Rod... I reckon they're awesome, but I can't really justify buying one other than I want one! Another option would be the Fender Super-Sonic 212. Peavey Classic 30 or 50? Or, their Delta Blues amps are pretty sick too. Hughes and Kettner Statesman Dual-EL84?

Try to get the sound you want from an amp, rather than having to fiddle with pedals. Or at least, that's what I prefer to do.

Also, 1500 of which dollars? USD?
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Oh yeah and 1500 USD I guess. But yeah I just want that dirty bluesy tube sound. Isn't the orange a bit too harsh sounding? Bit more towards metal?
^ nope, depends how you EQ it.

Do you want something you can use at home or something for gigging?
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Josh Homme was known to use a AC100CPH?
it says so on the vox website anyway...
mojostompboxes.com
Well with a $1500 budget I'd be looking used to find a nice vintage Fender or something along those lines. Something that stays clean as you push it and look into Fuzz pedals.

Black Keys kinda sound I think is a Tone Bender
QUOSTA & TCV is Octavia / Muffish sound.

I'd recommend:
MJM Britbender MKII/III Which is your preference.
EHX Micro POG.
Blackout Effectors Musket Fuzz.

That'd be quite a versatile setup and wouldn't limit you to just the bands you're looking at here.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band

Thanks Ben and everyone else, has been a great help. Also Ben, would a Hot Rod Deluxe classify as "something that stays clean as you push it"? Cheers mate.
Quote by porter_668
Oh yeah and 1500 USD I guess. But yeah I just want that dirty bluesy tube sound. Isn't the orange a bit too harsh sounding? Bit more towards metal?

i just bought one, and there's nothing harsh about it, really, it sounds vintage-ey and the saturation is soft enough =) no harsh sound at all
i've never played a HRD, but i can vouch that the BJ will break up pretty early unless you EQ it good and are aware of your guitar's volume. That being said, it's still pretty darn loud at 3, so if you keep it to a lower setting you're less likely to push the tubes.

EDIT:
Andy demos the 2knob Brit Bender with some QOTSA http://proguitarshop.com/store/effects-fuzz-pedals-c-7/mjm-brit-bender-fuzz-pedal-p-445 sounds pretty close to the real deal.
Pedal Board(s)

GAS list:
- Fender Jazzmaster
- Supa Trem
- 2x12 cab
- Mesa Lone Star
- ondes martenot
Last edited by theGlitch at Jun 8, 2010,
SimplyBen is right on the mark with that, those are good suggestions, and IMO that setup is better than an amp that'll get close to those tones, but not quite there. Fender HRD wouldn't be too bad for it, the clean channel is pretty nice, try it out, see what you think. A blackface or tweed fender would probably be better though.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Quote by SimplyBen
Something that stays clean as you push it and look into Fuzz pedals.

For played garge rock!
It's the opposite, you want something that breaks up early, in my opinion at least.
^That's good for most stuff, but QOTSA and Black Keys is fuzz pedals more than it is poweramp breakup. I would agree that a little breakup is probably good, fuzz sounds better over a lightly overdriven amp IMO.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Quote by EdgedInBlue
I've got a HRD, and you can pick them up used for like $615, new for $700. When I saw the Black Keys a few years ago, I remember him using a Fender of some kind, with a Marshall half stack. He split his signal using an AB/Y box. If you really want to nail Dan's sound here's a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Auerbach#Amplifiers . You might want to try a Big Muff or on of its cousin's to get that sound. Here's what Josh Homme uses: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_Homme#Musical_equipment . It only talks about QOTSA equipment, but I imagine it's similar.

$615 for a used HRD is an absolute rip off. I see them go for $400 all day long.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
there are no consistent aspects to either of their rigs.

get a tube screamer, a fuzz, and a box of rock and blend them...you can craft any distortion sound imaginable with those 3
Ohk, so from what I can gather I just need a decent amp and some good effects. What kind of an amp would be good to cover all of this stuff then? So far it's between a Blues Junior and a Hot Rod Deluxe. Are there any others that would be worth considering? Amps tend to cost a lot more over here in Aus too, that is why the Orange AD30 is out of my price range, cheapest I could fine was $2300AU...guh.
it's a good pedal, but not really for what you're looking for as a sound.

IMO the mjm 2knob brit bender is the fuzz for the sound you're looking for
Pedal Board(s)

GAS list:
- Fender Jazzmaster
- Supa Trem
- 2x12 cab
- Mesa Lone Star
- ondes martenot
Quote by porter_668
Amps tend to cost a lot more over here in Aus too, that is why the Orange AD30 is out of my price range, cheapest I could fine was $2300AU...guh.

Really? im in oz and ive seen AD30's go much cheaper than that, my local even has a 1x12 combo for $1700 right now. Even tho, i still agree that its expensive for what it is..
A HRD is probably pretty good, the drive channel is kinda poor but the cleans are mean to be pretty decent. Best idea is to try one out and hit it with a fuzz.

How much is a HRD going to set you back?
I'm sure you could get a Blues Deluxe or a Peacey Delta Blues for cheaper, Delta Blues is definitely an amp worth checking out, has my fave clean tone and is cheaper than most of the Fenders.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band

HRD is going to set me back $1200, which is the cheapest I could find it, that's also the tweed one if it makes any difference. Decided to go cheaper so I could buy a couple of pedals. I think I could get a Blues Deluxe for about $1500, how much better would that be? It would take up just about all of my budget. The peavey I can get for the same price as the HRD but it has 10 less Watts. Another thing I like about the HRD is that it is a popular amp and has well documented mods I could do to it in time to tweak it.
get the HRD, proguitarshop just restocked the mjm fuzz, and you definitely need a fuzz for the tone you want.
Pedal Board(s)

GAS list:
- Fender Jazzmaster
- Supa Trem
- 2x12 cab
- Mesa Lone Star
- ondes martenot
I've never ever seen Josh Homme using a Vox.. Also the gear that he used in the QOTSA days is very different from the TCV days, live wise anyways. Always a very good tones none the less.

Album wise, there's probably like 20 different amps recorded.

Josh always uses Ampeg bass cabs, I've seen him using a plexiglass 4x12 with Celestion vintage 30s once, only once though.

If you want the Kyuss, early QOTSA sound, Ampeg is the way to go.

Later QOTSA varies a lot.

For most of the TCV tour he used a Supro Sportsman head.

He always uses pedals though, so it's not just the amp's tone really.

With the right pedals and a HRD you could get some passable Homme tones, don't pay $600 for a used one though.

EDIT: $1200??!?!?!??!?!? WHAT? Where are you living? US dollars? That's insance, you should be paying half of that... Also, the tweed one is a Blues Deluxe, the black tolex one is a Hot Rod Deluxe, they're pretty much the same amp.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Last edited by FuzzLove at Jun 10, 2010,