Page 1 of 2
Ok,

For my next amp i've basically decided it's between the Vox AC15C1 and the Orange Tiny Terror Combo.

Which of these would be better at getting either a somewhat OK Jimmy Page-esque tone (yes, I know he used a Les Paul), or a passable Brian May tone?

I play with a Brian May Guitar (hence the desire for a Brian May tone ) and live in New Zealand so everything is basically about 5x the price it should be.

Thanks
Jimmy Page: Marshall SLP-1959 100-watt amp, modded with KT-88 tubes... perfect.

Brian May: 9x VOX AC30 with Alnico Blue speakers (AC30TBX from memory)... perfect.

Of those two amp choices however, I would say that neither would be better than the other.

Also, you Kiwis suck at cricket. :P
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Brian May played Vox and Jimmy Page plays an Orange now. Youtube them, there's plenty of demos for both of these amps then you'll have a better idea of what to expect from each.
HEY I know we suck at cricket. But hey, i'm half english so I have options as to who to support. Although when they're both losing it's kinda depressing.

I know Brian May used Vox and JP an Orange, so to ask a more specific question - will the AC15 give an accurate Brian May tone at all? I've spent literally weeks on YouTube looking at demos for both but i'm completely stuck as to which I prefer. I even played them and that didn't clear it up at all.

Basically I need a nudge in either direction...
Quote by adambauman31
Jimmy Page plays an Orange now.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what sort of person would want to emulate the sound of Page, not from 1973 but NOW? Sorry dude but if you want Page's proper, classic sound, you need the two 1959s - a '59 Les Paul and a SLP-1959... (and many, many tens of thousands of dollars!) Sure, you can get close with other gear, but in the end there is no substitute for the real thing. Although, Page used to use Orange cabs in some songs back in the LZ days.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Alas, I don't have tens of thousands of dollars, so I shall have to substitute something far cheaper. Unless I wanted to save up for a couple of decades of course
I vote neither...save your money and get a better amp.

-Jimmy Page may use an Orange now...but that's not what tone he is most known for (as mentioned in post #5).

-The Tiny Terror is a muddy mess. I wouldn't recommend it to anybody looking to get a JP sound.

-The VOX AC15 is a nice amp...better cleans than the TT...and a decent, very responsive to boosting, overdrive sound. However...it's a much different sound than the AC30s that Brian May uses.

If it must be one of these amps...my vote goes towards the VOX. But bear in mind...it's not going to sound like an AC30.
Quote by steven1
HEY I know we suck at cricket. But hey, i'm half english so I have options as to who to support.

Mate, you need to get across the ditch and support a real cricket team!

You have spent in excess of 336 hours (2 week exactly) on Youtube listening to amps? If you have literally spent weeks in this pursuit, then I both envy and pity you... Somehow however I doubt this.

The AC15 will give no more accurate a Brian May tone than many other amps... So much of his tone was from his guitar technique, his recording/producing techniques, his overdubbing/guitar layers... It's so hard to isolate a particular set of equipment for someone else to recreate a tone perfectly.

get the ac15 and then look at getting something like the earthquakers devices monach for the jimmy page tone
Australian cricket is a joke. And trust me, I get enough ribbing from my aussie mates about it when they beat either NZ or England.... Which is far too often.

Maybe not 2 weeks ... but a long time!

Hmm... I really really really want an AC30 but I can't really justify it, as I only occasionally play with other people and having it basically just for bedroom playing seems like a waste. But anything is an upgrade from the Spider III i'm jamming at the moment.
How about getting a Ceriatone - http://www.ceriatone.com/
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
I can't really get one from overseas because with the exchange rate/import tax etc. it makes it way more expensive than it would be to buy one locally
if i was you i would buy the AC15 which will get you close enough to Brian May and buy something like a Fulltone OCD for a jimmy page type sound. you said yourself you cant justify an AC30 and i think an AC15 would be a good buy
another amp to check out would be a peavey classic 30
Fender American Deluxe Strat, Epiphone Firebird Studio Worn Cherry, Adam Black S5ce

Dunlop Crybaby, Korg Pitchblack, Keeley BD-2, Proco Vintage Rat, MXR Script Phase 90, Danelectro Chorus, Marshall Echohead

Peavey Classic 30
Quote by seemeel
Correct me if I'm wrong, but what sort of person would want to emulate the sound of Page, not from 1973 but NOW? Sorry dude but if you want Page's proper, classic sound, you need the two 1959s - a '59 Les Paul and a SLP-1959... (and many, many tens of thousands of dollars!) Sure, you can get close with other gear, but in the end there is no substitute for the real thing. Although, Page used to use Orange cabs in some songs back in the LZ days.

Actually, you'd need a Marshall Major, Telecaster, and Les Paul.

Besides, the "classic" Page tones everyone wants come from the first and second albums, and lord knows what he used then.

TS: For Brain May, the AC15 should work fine. Anything British will do for Page, really, but the Vox should suffice. I don't see why it wouldn't.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by ECistheBest
a supro?

and a tele.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Make sure you get the newer Vox AC30/15C1. It sounds far better than the previous models and has great cleans and crunch tones.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by gregs1020
and a tele.

Or a Rickenbacker halfstack. Or any of the 800000000 amps Jimmy used in the studio
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
i do have to say a TON of brian mays tone is from his tri-sonic pickups which are FAR different sounding that pretty much any other pickup, and his custom guitar, which is 100% unique with some crazy switching options (not to mention is unique playing and pretty sure he uses a treble booster, etc).

buy a 1959 les paul will not magically turn you into jimmy page....in fact you will probably sound just the same as playing a new les paul today. yeah diffierent guitars have slight tonal differences but they do not transform a player.

an amp will have a much more noticable effect that a guitar change will
Just get a Fender Super Champ XD. It will cover those tones better than it's likely your fingers will reproduce their style.
Quote by stratman_13
Or a Rickenbacker halfstack. Or any of the 800000000 amps Jimmy used in the studio

but he used the tele a lot early on in the studio. but wouldn't it be nice?

honestly TS i would say the AC15 of the two you list. dare i say an eq pedal as well?
Marshall Class 5 + EQ Pedal + Rothwell Hellbender.

It's an obscure set up but it's one i'd personally choose for a tone like that

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by ikey_
i do have to say a TON of brian mays tone is from his tri-sonic pickups which are FAR different sounding that pretty much any other pickup, and his custom guitar, which is 100% unique with some crazy switching options

I do have one of the Brian May guitars, i know it's not exactly the same but it's still got the switching and Tri-Sonics, so should sound OK
I'd get something with a little more iron...
It might be hard to get brian may's range of tones in the bedroom though....
that man's signature vox is an ac30 with only a volume control.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
A vintage supro will be the absolute closest you will get to Page's tone as those the the amps he is most famous for using. I've been seeing a few of them on my local craigslist for around $1200
^ That's only on a couple of their albums and, IMO, pales in comparison to their huge 1972/73 live sound.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
I would try a Telecaster into a Fender Champ. Keep in mind that Jimmy used extremely unorthodox recording techniques so this greatly affected his tone. If you want to get both tones in one box just pick up a JTM45. I would say that's as close as you will get. If I remember correctly, the JTM45 was actually Page's favorite amp. But honestly a cranked old Champ will get you his tone if you can play well.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

TS, out of the two amps you listed the Vox is the one I'd buy. I've got the AC15cc1 (the previous model) and I can get a fairly close Page tone. Unfortunately, both Page and May have very unique tones that are hard to emulate, but the Vox is what I would buy.

You might find that picking up the right pedal(s) will help you get even closer.
Tele - EP Booster - DLS - Big Muff - Ekko 616 - Rocker 30/AC15
Brilliant. Thanks for all the advice - it was a lot more than I was expecting. I think i'm gonna go for the AC15C1 and then shop around for an OD pedal. Thanks!
I played a Mesa Transatlantic today that worked pretty well for those tones. Might be worth a look.

Plus it lights up blue
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Yeah I agree I loved both of the new AC amps.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

Quote by PerpetualBurn
I would try a Telecaster into a Fender Champ. Keep in mind that Jimmy used extremely unorthodox recording techniques so this greatly affected his tone. If you want to get both tones in one box just pick up a JTM45. I would say that's as close as you will get. If I remember correctly, the JTM45 was actually Page's favorite amp. But honestly a cranked old Champ will get you his tone if you can play well.

aha. i see a disclaimer there.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by bubb_tubbs
^ That's only on a couple of their albums and, IMO, pales in comparison to their huge 1972/73 live sound.

like the first four. and i have to agree the live early 70's live tones were better, less "haunting" (?) but more commonly sought after by far.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jun 9, 2010,
here is how you get JP and brian may tone on the cheap:

1) get a zvex box of rock pedal....its the cranked marshall tone in a box. play it through any tube amp set up real clean...bam led zeppelin tone

2) get an xotic effects AC booster pedal...its an AC30 in a box...bam queen brian may tone

3) get a tube amp that has some headroom..not a TT (even though its an amazing amp) the TT has a voice of its own

the AC15 has the same problem...no headroom and a voice of its own

i would get something like a fender deville....a decent clean canvas for drives and effects and easy on the wallet
Quote by Deacon Blues
here is how you get JP and brian may tone on the cheap:

1) get a zvex box of rock pedal....its the cranked marshall tone in a box. play it through any tube amp set up real clean...bam led zeppelin tone

The Box of Rock isn't the first pedal I'd pick $200 is quite a bit to drop on a pedal.

Quote by Deacon Blues
2) get an xotic effects AC booster pedal...its an AC30 in a box...bam queen brian may tone

No. The Xotic AC Booster is a low gain overdrive. "AC" stands for "Almost Clean." Besides there is no AC30 in a box pedal that sounds like an AC30.

Quote by Deacon Blues
3) get a tube amp that has some headroom..not a TT (even though its an amazing amp) the TT has a voice of its own

the AC15 has the same problem...no headroom and a voice of its own

i would get something like a fender deville....a decent clean canvas for drives and effects and easy on the wallet

The AC15 has a good amount of headroom for a 15 watt amp. Also the Fender Deville has a voice of its own. Specifically a Fender voicing, which isn't the sound needed for Brian May and Jimmy Page.

Edit: Fender Deville: $899, ZVex Box of Rock: $199, Xotic AC Booster: $168. How is $1200 easy on the wallet?
Tele - EP Booster - DLS - Big Muff - Ekko 616 - Rocker 30/AC15
Last edited by Hesh_09 at Jun 9, 2010,
Page 1 of 2