Hi all, firstly did a search. The issue at hand: An older guitar cable of mine, when it is moved when everything is connected and on, will make small crackling sounds through the amp. As in, casually moving it will produce a crackle, but it's alright when not being moved. I compared it to another cable (both were plugged in, with a Boss DS-2 inbetween) which is much newer, and higher quality, which when moved, makes no sound out of the ordinary.

So, with this problematic cable, do you guys think/know, from experiences yourselves, if it means that the cable is breaking on the inside, and shouldn't be used anymore, of if it's just something that happens with lesser quality cables, but not a sign it's going to cut out majorly soon?
Yeah it's just the cable, the wires fray and it's really annoying....you just need a new cable.
Anyone able to confirm if some brands of cable last longer than others?
I found Planet Waves to be good, and if they do break, Planet Waves will replace them for free. Just bring them back to your music store where you bought them.
Ah awesome, I just checked the website of a nearby store, and yes, they do have a lifetime warranty. Shame about this current cable though, guess I can keep using it about home for now.
With my cable, i think it frayed from the way i practice sitting down and the jack comes out from the side of the body. So it was always bent an 90+ degrees....hence the frayed wires. Now i use the 90 degreed jack going into my guitar.
PLanet Waves =)
'Always outnumbed, never outgunned'
PSN + XBL: Jimsworthy

Charvel So-Cal ProMod Black
Ibanez RG350Dx W/ Duncans
Blackstar HT Stage 100
ASshdown 4x12
Morley George Lynch Dragon Wah II
Quote by Rokeman
Anyone able to confirm if some brands of cable last longer than others?

higher quality, more expensive cables not made out of shit quality parts certainly don't last longer, sound better, etc.

oh wait.

EDIT: planet waves aren't that great, if you ask me. depends on what other options you have available, of course.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've found planet waves cables to be great in terms of how long they last. I've only ever had 1 but I've had it 7 years and never had any trouble with it. I like the tone I get from my Klotz LaGrange cables better than the planet waves but the Klotz cables seem to break much quicker. It is pretty easy to fix a broken cable though.
oh yeah i can't break mine the problem is they don't sound that great

and if they do break don't they have moulded plugs? maybe they have a lifetime warranty, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I only use cables with lifetime warranties, so I use Planet Waves and Livewire. You may wanna check out Peavey too, dunno about their current cables, but I've got one that's older than me and it still works great with no problems (minus the length). No lifetime warranty though.
I have the same problem with some of my cables, you should just get a new one
Quote by salones de
You must take care of strings alignment.
It is the big deal.. Mostly we do not take care of string alignment digitally.
Digitally means with the help of computer..

Regards

I have absolutely no clue wtf you're talking about....

Anyways, I've never had problems with Mogami or Planet Waves.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Quote by Dave_Mc
oh yeah i can't break mine the problem is they don't sound that great

I agree. Not the best sounding cables which is why I've only got 1. Could do a lot worse too.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Jun 8, 2010,
^ yeah.

Quote by salones de
You must take care of strings alignment.
It is the big deal.. Mostly we do not take care of string alignment digitally.
Digitally means with the help of computer..

Regards

*reported*
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for the replies guys. If only it were possible to fix the cable to those few that have said to! The problem isn't the ends that can be easily re-soldered, the problem is the wires itself inside the cable fraying.

I guess I need a cable that can withstand being wound and unwound and chucked about a bit. Not that I go out of my way to abuse it though.