Hi I was wondering about single coils, every guitar I've played with them has always sounded really rattly and buzzy, even on cleans. Is this a characteristic of the single coils or is it just the ones I've played? I'm sure it can't be because of all the times I've heard single coild in songs, like RHCP. If they're not all like this, could somebody recommend me some good ones? Cheers
It's arguably a characteristic of single coils through a crappy or poorly- EQ'd amp...what are you using?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Oh ok, the amp might be the problem it is a naff little 5 watter solid state thing. And it was a Squier strat
Quote by 09phillt
Oh ok, the amp might be the problem it is a naff little 5 watter solid state thing. And it was a Squier strat

ah well theres your cause then! (the amp not the squier)
Mah gear :p

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350DX
BC rich NJ neck thru series warlock
customized epi les paul

Amps:
blackstar ht-5 combo
VOX VT-100

Pedals:
bad dog phaser

"Remember your a WOMBLE!!!"
Quote by Morrie2995
dude you just became my hero. Nice
Quote by 09phillt
how would I go about EQ'ing a decent amp to sound good with single coils?

Uh, I don't think you really can, the easiest solution is to get a new amp, the Squier amps are really cheaply made, so if you can't even get a good clean tone out of it, then you'll most likely not be able to get a decent distorted tone from it no matter how hard you try.

There's no real easy way to EQ, every guitar is different, so you'll just have to keep messing with it.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Uh, I don't think you really can, the easiest solution is to get a new amp, the Squier amps are really cheaply made, so if you can't even get a good clean tone out of it, then you'll most likely not be able to get a decent distorted tone from it no matter how hard you try.

There's no real easy way to EQ, every guitar is different, so you'll just have to keep messing with it.

He's right. You have to work with what you got till it sounds the way you want. Although you probably are gonna want a better amp to sound better. Sure the RHCP sound good but that's because they're playing through high-end gear among other things. So what you're hearing is just the quality of your gear. Just don't expect low end stuff to sound like high end stuff!!

P.S. ethan I live like 10 minutes from cedar park haha.
"Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you." - Aldous Huxley
^ Cheers guys you have rekindled my confidence that not all single coils are bad. Thanks.