Sorry for the cryptic title but I'll explain.

I'm heading permanently back home in three weeks time and I've been looking for a local band to play in.

My problem (and the reason for the title) is that there are virtually NO bassist vacancies that I would stand a chance of getting into and would enjoy playing genre-wise (it seems that it's all grunge and 'garage' bands).

Now through Facebook a friend of a friend has contacted me asking if I would want to join their band? Sounds great.....except he wants me to play keyboard. Now, I can play keyboard and I love the music these guys play, but I'm not entirely happy with playing what is essentially my fourth-best instrument. '

But on the flip side, I'm virtually guaranteed to get into this band simply because, despite the fact I've been playing only 10months or so, they're desperate to find ANYONE who can play SOMETHING worth a damn (seems keyboardists my age who aren't pretentious asshats are in short supply).

So, it's essentially a toss-up between sticking to my best instrument and playing a genre I hate or at least dón't care for, or playing in a small, friendly band who are playing my favorite genre (rock) but not on my main instrument. ]

What to do?
Better to play in a band that you like, playing an instrument you're apparently not hugely bothered about (can't be that bad? if you've bothered learning keys then you've got to at least have some liking for them), instead of playing in a band you don't like.

Seems simple enough.

Maybe playing in the band that needs the keyboards will further your enthusiasm for playing keys, so I say go for it.
Last edited by pete-c at Jun 8, 2010,
Well, personally I think that playing music is more important than a particular instrument... if it was me, I'd play keyboards in the rock band.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Play keyboard in the band and slowly poison the bassist so you can take his place.
My songs are all located here .
Feel free to drop by and crit a song.
Leave a link and I'll return a crit

Colossus
Quote by pete-c
Better to play in a band that you like, playing an instrument you're apparently not hugely bothered about (can't be that bad? if you've bothered learning keys then you've got to at least have some liking for them), instead of playing in a band you don't like.

Seems simple enough.

Maybe playing in the band that needs the keyboards will further your enthusiasm for playing keys, so I say go for it :]

Well the reason I chose to learn keyboard was composing for my worship music.

You may be right. Plus, it'll be motivation to actually practice properly.
Quote by frankibo
Play keyboard in the band and slowly poison the bassist so you can take her place.

Fixed.....and I happen to find her kinda hot so that's not a good idea.
Could you do both? Then you play the music you love and the instrument you love, and maybe you can steer both bands in a direction you would like to go in. Besides, any genre of music can be good, it's up to the band to make it good.
Quote by jfreyvogel
Could you do both? Then you play the music you love and the instrument you love, and maybe you can steer both bands in a direction you would like to go in. Besides, any genre of music can be good, it's up to the band to make it good.

I would rather get into a band who's playing the genre I want in the first place. It's a lot less hassle on my part.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Fixed.....and I happen to find her kinda hot so that's not a good idea.

Ah she's a girl, fair enough.
Erm then I say, get married to have, have kids and while she's home with the kids you be the band's bassist. It's a long term plan but it's pretty much fool proof.

On a more serious note, i would just be the keyboardist in the band you like. You'll have more fun that way.
My songs are all located here .
Feel free to drop by and crit a song.
Leave a link and I'll return a crit

Colossus
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
I would rather get into a band who's playing the genre I want in the first place. It's a lot less hassle on my part.

well there you go, you just answered your question. Go with playing keys in the other band, I'm sure it'll be fun, and it's not like you can't play bass anymore either.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Well the reason I chose to learn keyboard was composing for my worship music.

You may be right. Plus, it'll be motivation to actually practice properly.

I know that's what happened when I ended up on bass for my "band" (we practiced 4 times in 5 months before breaking up). Playing a different instrument won't dampen your enthusiasm for the bass plus it will let you get better at another instrument.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Can you not find a band looking for a drummer either?
My name is Danny. Call me that.
Quote by asator
Can you not find a band looking for a drummer either?

Again, not for what I want to play (if I was going to drum, I'd want to be in a prog band).
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Again, not for what I want to play (if I was going to drum, I'd want to be in a prog band).

There's a surprise
My name is Danny. Call me that.
Keyboards man. In Rock it's not usually the most challenging of score's but depending on th eban dyous till get to rock out. Also this is a great way of leveling it up from fourth to maybe third or even second best instrument.

And since you're playing it for composing, the understanding of the keyboard will come in very handy. There really is more to it then the notes ofc

So what kind of keyboarda are we talkign here anyway? If you want I could give you a few pointers on what you could do in the band. (I'm a keyboardist myself)
Quote by pandora_grunt
Keyboards man. In Rock it's not usually the most challenging of score's but depending on th eban dyous till get to rock out. Also this is a great way of leveling it up from fourth to maybe third or even second best instrument.

And since you're playing it for composing, the understanding of the keyboard will come in very handy. There really is more to it then the notes ofc

So what kind of keyboarda are we talkign here anyway? If you want I could give you a few pointers on what you could do in the band. (I'm a keyboardist myself)

Yaaay!

Í'm not playing any really fancy keyboard, just a Yamaha PRS E-313. And luckily for me there's no fancy MIDI set-ups or pedals.
Quote by frankibo
Play keyboard in the band and slowly poison the bassist so you can take his place.

LOL this. but seriously I wouldn`t play keyboard in a band , if I play mostly bass. I would look for another band
Breakin` the Law!
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Yaaay!

Í'm not playing any really fancy keyboard, just a Yamaha PRS E-313. And luckily for me there's no fancy MIDI set-ups or pedals.

I see. Well here's the deal. Thats enough for you to try and see if it really is your "thing". The basic sounds are quite allright but also quite limited. If you find out you want to do more than just piano and strings I strongly suggest looking into other keyboards.

However, do take your time, it's not a cheap investment going for a more versatile keyboard. You don't want to have an expensive synthesizer or even stage piano to find out it isn't something you'll be doing for years.

So for now I would stick to pian and strings and maybe a retro synth lead here and there. I'm sure that those keyboards can handle it.
Quote by pandora_grunt
I see. Well here's the deal. Thats enough for you to try and see if it really is your "thing". The basic sounds are quite allright but also quite limited. If you find out you want to do more than just piano and strings I strongly suggest looking into other keyboards.

However, do take your time, it's not a cheap investment going for a more versatile keyboard. You don't want to have an expensive synthesizer or even stage piano to find out it isn't something you'll be doing for years.

So for now I would stick to pian and strings and maybe a retro synth lead here and there. I'm sure that those keyboards can handle it.

At the moment I'm merely trying to learn their back catalogue of material. I'm trying to keep it simple as possible.

I'll probably take the plunge and get something better gear-wise at the end of the year if it looks like I'll be staying. Because then I will have a lot more money and also I'll have learnt the material by then and I'll know if I want to stick with it.

But yeah, you are right, it's an expensive instrument to play. In an ideal situation I'd love a Yamaha digital piano, but I'm looking at $2000 minumum.
Last edited by Fassa Albrecht at Jun 8, 2010,
I suppose the keys gig is better for you and the bass gig better for your career (sort of).

If you really nail it on the bass thing other groups'll probably take interest on you.

Then again you'll have a laugh in the keys gig and it'll likely make you better on them and make you more diverse.

So there you go?
Quote by Eddy~
I suppose the keys gig is better for you and the bass gig better for your career (sort of).

If you really nail it on the bass thing other groups'll probably take interest on you.

Then again you'll have a laugh in the keys gig and it'll likely make you better on them and make you more diverse.

So there you go?

It'll also give me an edge in that I can market myself as someone with experience in both fields.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
It'll also give me an edge in that I can market myself as someone with experience in both fields.

This is very true. I have had many options to join bands either on bass or keyboards. (We are quite alike only Keyboards is my main haha)

Anyway about keyboards. The 2000 dollar price range is a bit over the top. I'd suggest you use that money to get a more diverse range of instruments rather then just a digital piano. In my experience rock bands dig the more synthpop sounds these days. Mixed with strings and piano's ofcourse.

Though it IS a matter of taste in the end, It is a more versatile approach to things. Ofcourse you will have to sacrifice a bit of the expression some digital piano's can give you.

Edit: maybe we could continue this conversation in private messages so we don't clutter the forum.
Firstly to limit yourself to a genre is silly and pointless, it also indicates that you have a closed mind when encountering new music.

Secondly, consider the ramifications of the statement that every band plays "grunge and garage music". Grunge music primarily consists of three band - Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden - and these bands sound nothing like eachother. Garage bands just refer to guys who practice in their garage. So you have a wide variety of bands advertising, I guess you're looking for someone advertising a specific type of metal or that - bit silly not to consider something that can extend your skills - your favorite guitarist can probably play country.

So that leaves you with "join an existing band or don't". But, you should consider making your own band. That way it can be under the specific type of music you want and you'll be happy.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Firstly to limit yourself to a genre is silly and pointless, it also indicates that you have a closed mind when encountering new music.

Secondly, consider the ramifications of the statement that every band plays "grunge and garage music". Grunge music primarily consists of three band - Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden - and these bands sound nothing like eachother. Garage bands just refer to guys who practice in their garage. So you have a wide variety of bands advertising, I guess you're looking for someone advertising a specific type of metal or that - bit silly not to consider something that can extend your skills - your favorite guitarist can probably play country.

So that leaves you with "join an existing band or don't". But, you should consider making your own band. That way it can be under the specific type of music you want and you'll be happy.

It's not that I can't or won't play different genres, but the fact is that I want to be able to listen to what I'm playing and enjoy it. If this band ever gets round to recording, I want to be able to go home, put on our demo CD onto my mp3 player and actually enjoy it, thinking 'I did that, I'm the one playing that'.

I listen to all sorts of music, from big band jazz to some of the more obscure electronica and I can appreciate the talent that it takes to make any song or album. But the fact is that I realistically can't play everything. I know my limits.

Also, on the note about garage bands, I'm talking here about guys who although they want to play music, they have no intention or discipline to gig. That's not what I want to do, I want to gig.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
It's not that I can't or won't play different genres, but the fact is that I want to be able to listen to what I'm playing and enjoy it. If this band ever gets round to recording, I want to be able to go home, put on our demo CD onto my mp3 player and actually enjoy it, thinking 'I did that, I'm the one playing that'.

I listen to all sorts of music, from big band jazz to some of the more obscure electronica and I can appreciate the talent that it takes to make any song or album. But the fact is that I realistically can't play everything. I know my limits.

Also, on the note about garage bands, I'm talking here about guys who although they want to play music, they have no intention or discipline to gig. That's not what I want to do, I want to gig.

Then if you are open to different genres, you should be willing to join more bands outside your "favourite genre". Easy.

And I don't know how you've decided these "garage bands" don't have the discipline to gig unless you've already met and jammed with them, or in their add they've said "don't want to gig".
Soundcloud
Alan why are you badgering him about this? If he wants to play a certain genre let him its his choice, you expressed your opinion to him, you dont need to keep pushing.
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"
Quote by RabbidWolf
Alan why are you badgering him about this? If he wants to play a certain genre let him its his choice, you expressed your opinion to him, you dont need to keep pushing.

Beggars can't be choosers. The only way to really ensure that the band is exactly what you want to play is to form a band yourself, and write all the music. Otherwise you'll have to make certain concessions.
Soundcloud
Quote by RabbidWolf

You might find I'm female.

Quote by AlanHB
Then if you are open to different genres, you should be willing to join more bands outside your "favourite genre". Easy.

And I don't know how you've decided these "garage bands" don't have the discipline to gig unless you've already met and jammed with them, or in their add they've said "don't want to gig".

it was among the first questions I asked and most of them were pretty straight that they didn't have ANY intention to gig.

Also, as I said in my previous posts, I want to be able to go home after a gig, put on my band's CD and actually enjoy what I'm listening to.

If it were the case I was a session player then it wouldn't be a deal to take every gig going, because I'd then just be the hired hand and it wouldn't matter because it'd be a one-off. But when I'm committing time and a lot of my own money to something, I want to be sure it's what I want to do and that I'm going to get some reward.
Quote by AlanHB
Beggars can't be choosers. The only way to really ensure that the band is exactly what you want to play is to form a band yourself, and write all the music. Otherwise you'll have to make certain concessions.

'

Sorry for the double post.

Firstly, it's hell of a risk going to the effort of forming a brand-new band, especially given that in my case I've only ever played anything in worship bands, and also that any new band is going to have an uphill struggle to get any gigs worth a damn, especially if (like this band who wants me on keys) they're also a recording band. It's a hell of a lot of money and time to do, especially in a place like where I will be living and playing where gigs are in short supply.

Plus, I don't want to be bandleader or lyricist. I'm actually a drummer and the last thing I want to do is play at being Buddy Rich (bandleader and drummer) or Neil Peart (lyricist-drummer).