Ive been playin the guitar for near enough a year now, at the moment i have a Squire bullet strat, but i want to move up i gear any ideas for an intermediate guitar, which wont cost a bomb, really looking in the region of £200to £400 ?
This is your second try at this, and you still haven't told us what sort of music you want to play? Rock, Metal, Jazz, Country...? Generally, guitars fit only a few genres, so it's pretty hard to recommend.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Well early rock and roll, blues and jazz, i was thinking about going for a Gretsch or a Telecaster
Okay, well you won't get a Gretsch worth owning for less than a few thousand dollars... so forget that. A tele, on the other hand, now that's an option. The Mexican Standard Tele would the trick, and can be had for about $700-$800 I reckon.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Quote by seemeel
A tele, on the other hand, now that's an option. The Mexican Standard Tele would the trick, and can be had for about $700-$800 I reckon.

Or he could go for a Squier Classic Vibe Tele.
Really good guitars, and they cost around £270.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by JamiemacLFC
i was also thinking of a Epiphone SG400 ?

my mates got one of them and unless you've got massive hands to fit around the fat neck i wouldn't bother. go for an ibanez, PRS, or Dean. they've got relatively thin necks and have a great and versatile sound.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
the guitar you linked is shit. seriously,
you say £200-£400 and you pick a £119 guitar.
its not even a step up from your bullet strat.
it looks cheap, the quality will be cheap, hell if your lucky they might ship a free chinese baby with it.

les paul. good for classic rock, hard rock and the right amp, metal.
meaty tone and a wide chunky neck
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/epiphone-les-paul-standard/870

ibanez RG 350. good all rounder having a singlecoil in there gives you the best of both worlds. good for rock, metal, classic rock, jazz whatever you throw at it.
nice thin speedy neck, better suited for lead. but handles rythem well also

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/ibanez-rg-350dx/67208

MIM strat or tele. good cleans, good for more vintage styles unless you get a HSS
once again, chunky neck, the downsire are they only have singlecoils
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/79113
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/79112

ESP LTD m-200fm addition of a floyd rose adds more metal versatility to this one. food for most genres apart from super jangle cleans, medium neck good for both lead and chunky chords
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/80886

there are SOOOO many better guitars in your price range than the pos you linked. please, dont buy that..
Thanks for snapping me out of that crazyness, im a very thrifty person so im allways looking for the lowest price which is a good option when choosing a guitar, thanks for the suggestions also
if you dont mind like, medium sized necks
you could look for a 2nd hand Schecter C-1 Classic/+
the classic is better, but the + is also a great guitar
if you can find one on the bay, they generally are between £300-£400

or some higher end LTD 2nd hand might go in the budget
personally I'd stay away from the guitars with a licenced floyd rose atm, alot more hassle that it's worth
Quote by Led Dirigible
Crickets have too much high end for my tastes. I prefer a nice beetle, lots of warm low end.

tl;dr put a beetle in your amp for superior toanz.

Guitars: Schecter C-1 Classic
Westfeild LP e4500
Amp: Vox AD15VT
Buy my SE,

or at least seriously consider it,

its an awesome deal for a new guitar, its been in its case boxed the entire time i have owned it. which is no more than a month and a bit.

its MIK, well built, great hardware, good pickups and can play most genres very well, its an incredibly good example of the range with no finish flaws or neck problems and the frets are all good,

this is a high end intermediate guitar for high end starter money...

think about it.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Last edited by Tom 1.0 at Jun 8, 2010,
thrift is fine, but you need to make sure it's not a false economy.

jazz would probably benefit from a neck humbucker. the other two genres you mentioned can be played with either single coils or humbuckers, just depends on which you prefer.

what amp do you have at the moment?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
don't buy anything with a trem at your price range, unless you're willing to pay 400~ up. if you're a beginner you're not gonna want a trem either, learn vibratos they're quite useful.

i've play a few of those les paul specials and they're okay. the necks are quite nice on some of them, and the humbuckers are useable, but that's about it. i think it would be a nice contrast to your bullet strat, but it won't be a huge improvement. if you're still learning and just want a diff setup then it might be a smart choice.

What type of amp do you have?

don't buy an ibby rg35 with the trem. too much hassle and not enough performance.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
buy tom's guitar, it looks sexual
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Quote by Tom 1.0
Buy my SE,

or at least seriously consider it,

its an awesome deal for a new guitar, its been in its case boxed the entire time i have owned it. which is no more than a month and a bit.

(Invalid img)

its MIK, well built, great hardware, good pickups and can play most genres very well, its an incredibly good example of the range with no finish flaws or neck problems and the frets are all good,

this is a high end intermediate guitar for high end starter money...

think about it.

Yep, good suggestion.
Probably one of the best brand-new guitars you'll find cheap.

Quote by Carrot
buy tom's guitar, it looks sexual

Agreed.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Rondomusic.com has some nice tele models, u can go look at em, im accually looking at a semi hollow tele atm, thats a good combo of the two
Eh.
Choose a good guitar and find its cheap copy.. For jazz and rock N roll i cant suggest you a bc rich..

Actually B.C richs are in discount in most of the dealers now. check out thomann. You can get a strat shaped bc for very cheap but i think you may not like them much. Im looking for buying an İbanez Rg350M-YE but I found that i can buy a neck thru bc rich beast + coffin case + a set of Seymour Duncan + a CABLEE(!) lol

check for ibanez. SA (not sure) or RGAs or ARTs
just save yourself some hassle and buy mine

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
if he's playing early rock n roll, blues and jazz i'm guessing a bc rich isn't what he wants... even a washburn x50pro (which is a good suggestion) looks a bit modern for that.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I brought my Fender MiM Telecaster for £400, and I abore that guitar. But I must say, I spent about 5 months trying to get hold of a PRS SE Custom 24 similar to the one Tom is selling before that, But they jacked up ther prices right before I brought it. My friend has one and its an absolutey beautiful guitar, but you really need to try before you buy.
Epi 1966 G400 (SG) is very nice for the price.
The neck is thinner than the regular G400.
Get it setup with 10's, plays and sounds great.