Hey folks,

So my birthday is this week and I'll get a nice chunka money. Since I have a ton of real estate on my pedalboard, I figured I'd see what else I need in terms of pedals. I like my Mesa Tremoverb's distortion, but I was wondering if there are any heavy metal-style distortion pedals that would work well with it. Nothing digital please...analog and true bypass only. There seem to be a ton of these but everytime I find a demo of one on youtube it sounds terrible.

Any suggestions?
Custom guitars, vintage amps, boutique pedals. Blah, blah, blah.
MXR fullbore distorion, MXR distorion+, E-HX metal muff w/ top boost.
Our lord David Cameron in heaven

papa oom mow mow

Quote by captaincrunk
I love sex toys. I don't really care what the shape is. It can be a rabbit, a fat man, Jesus, whatever

1960 Gibson les paul - Klon centaur - 60s marshall plexi/mesa boogie dual rec
Have you considered getting a clean boost pedal or overdrive instead? I would think that the distortion offered by the Mesa would be much preferred over that created by a pedal?

Washburn X50PRO FE (GuitarHeads active bridge pickup)
Dean Vendetta XM
Jet City JCA20H head, w Eminence Texas Heat 12"
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
Ibanez TS7
DigiTech RP-255
Behringer VD1 (Big Muff PI clone)
Dude, you don't NEED every pedal to be true bypass. In fact, that's an awful idea. You should always have at least ONE buffer (generally a tuner), but having more can be helpful. Having too many true bypass pedals will kill your tone.

As to what pedals? Mesa makes a cool distortion pedal, as does Seymour Duncan, both of which are able to get pretty high gain sounds. If I were you though, I'd get an overdrive or a boost to push your amp's drive channel.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Quote by tronester
Have you considered getting a clean boost pedal or overdrive instead? I would think that the distortion offered by the Mesa would be much preferred over that created by a pedal?

I've got that covered. Xotic Effects Custom Shop BB Preamp MB . It definitely works well as a boost for the Mesa's heavier tones, but I was considering trying out a really high gain distortion pedal to see how I liked it.

Anyone heard anything about the Suhr effects pedals, namely the Suhr Riot? I just checked out a youtube demo of it and it sounds GREAT.
jesus:| are you saying your tremoverb doesn't have enough gain
seriously boost pedal and an EQ no distortion pedal is gunna sound anywhere near as good as your amp will thats why good amps are £1000-2000 and pedals are £50-200
if your not happy with it for high gain sounds may i suggest selling it and getting something else with gain more suited to what your looki ng for
maybe that you amp doesnt have the right voicing for the sound you want
^ I think he just wants a little variety.

As mentioned before, don't limit yourself to true bypass. Having a buffer can be a good thing as long as it's a decent buffer. There are a lot of pedals out there with crappy buffers.

There are a lot of good distortion pedals out there that aren't true bypass and if you really insist on true bypass, you can buy or make a little true bypass box for it.

Check out the MI Audio Crunchbox. Cheap and a great pedal.
Dude, you don't NEED every pedal to be true bypass. In fact, that's an awful idea. You should always have at least ONE buffer (generally a tuner), but having more can be helpful. Having too many true bypass pedals will kill your tone.

QFT. Take it from a guy who's pedal board is %100 true bypass. I have to run a booster at all times at the end of my chain just to keep the life in my sound. and even then it doesn't sound as good as if I were to plug straight in. Tragically all the pedals I like best are true bypass.

Quote by CustomAxe
Anyone heard anything about the Suhr effects pedals, namely the Suhr Riot? I just checked out a youtube demo of it and it sounds GREAT.

The Riot is a fantastic pedal.

Something to consider though, your Mesa has an epic megaton of gain, so as people are saying you really don't need a high gain pedal. Instead, you could try looking at low gain overdrives, and run them with the gain down and the volume up to use as colour for your tone. You'll have far more options tonally if you take this approach.
Yeah, the main thing that's goin on here, and I probably shouldve mentioned this, the Mesa def. has MORE than enough gain on tap. Playing shows and in the studio with my band i'm very happy with it. But at home, to get the kinda gain that I want at low volume levels means sacrificing clarity, because Mesa amps really aren't meant to be played in an apartment.

So, I was thinking whether a really nice heavy distortion pedal could help me in the bedroom metal tone department.

Here's my current pedalboard setup by the way, this'll probably help:

In the effects loop: MXR Carbon Copy, Fish N Chips EQ

In front of the amp (from my guitar to my amp) - tc electronics polytune , Crybaby 535Q wah, Xotic Custom Shop BB Preamp MB, MXR Classic Distortion, ISP Decimator.
Last edited by CustomAxe at Jun 8, 2010,
I have actually, but I wasn't sure which one to get and if it would be worth it cost wise (I've seen attenuators that cost upwards of $400).
Symphony X would just about hit the nail on the head for me. I know I know, Michael Romeo uses an Engl Fireball.
dude, there is NO distortion pedal that's going to sound better than a mesa. But if your really finicky about your BROOTAL gain, just throw an tube screamer or some other kind of overdrive in front of it.
Quote by tacaco1000
yes, babies tend to become a blue gooey liquid when kept inside a plastic bottle in the dark for a year.
Quote by CustomAxe
I have actually, but I wasn't sure which one to get and if it would be worth it cost wise (I've seen attenuators that cost upwards of $400).

Ho's Ultimate Attenuator is probably the best bang for your buck (Just make sure it's Ho's and not "The Ultimate Attenuator")

The Dr Z Airbrake is a good alternative as well, and it's probably a lot easier to find.

They will degrade the tone a bit, but honestly I think you'll get better results with an attenuator than you would with just a pedal.

Either way, I totally get what you're saying. I had them same problem with my Lonestar and my Roadster back when I used Mesa amps. I tried the OD/Dist pedals for home use, and they never really cut it. To solve my problem I ended up with an attenuator. I also sat the amp on a piece of foam, stuck a plexiglass shield in front of it, and a very thick wall hanging behind it. That got me a lot closer to the "live" tone that I had, and the volumes were reasonably neighbor friendly.

If you do go the attenuator route, I strongly suggest getting it from a place with a good return polity just to be safe.
Thanks for the advice dude, I'll definitely give it a look.
what is your budget? What sounds are you going for?

I know this dude whose pedalboard is 100 percent od/boost/distort I bet he can help you out.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Budget is probably about $250-$300 for this pedal. Really going for a nice progressive metal chunk ala Symphony X. I can get that Dream Theater kinda tone perfectly with My Mesa but I want a little more of teh brootalz, as they're called.
Like i said, the issue is getting the brootalz at bedroom volumes...
The problem with brootal at bedroom levels is that its not the amount of gain. It's the amount of bass that your chugs are causing. You can turn up the gain on your head all the way and it'll be more then enough. You could use a pedal and what not but if you can't turn it up a bit and get some bass thumping it won't sound brutal.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by kumamilesbear

As to what pedals? Mesa makes a cool distortion pedal, as does Seymour Duncan, both of which are able to get pretty high gain sounds. If I were you though, I'd get an overdrive or a boost to push your amp's drive channel.

As long as Myles is talking about metal distortion pedals, I feel like I should mention this - UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD YOU EVER GET THE BOSS METAL ZONE. EVER.

I also second the motion for the Seymour Duncan pedal but I've also heard very good things about some of Blackstar's offerings. Given that you're using a mesa, metal distortion shouldn't be an issue. My advice would be to stick a tube screamer with the drive down and the level up in front of your distortion channel and see what happens. This is also a very good time to take advantage of Guitar Center's 30 day return policy.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Quote by denied
Check out the barber dirty bomb and the blackstar ht-distx

I second these, plus the Suhr riot and the Wampler Triple Wreck.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by FrustratedRocka
As long as Myles is talking about metal distortion pedals, I feel like I should mention this - UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD YOU EVER GET THE BOSS METAL ZONE. EVER.

I also second the motion for the Seymour Duncan pedal but I've also heard very good things about some of Blackstar's offerings. Given that you're using a mesa, metal distortion shouldn't be an issue. My advice would be to stick a tube screamer with the drive down and the level up in front of your distortion channel and see what happens. This is also a very good time to take advantage of Guitar Center's 30 day return policy.

I would never get a Boss pedal period lol. Not a fan. And yeah, definitely time to buy a buncha stuff and sample it for a few days and return what I don't like. The problem is GC doesn't carry a lot of the boutique stuff I like/want.
Quote by FrustratedRocka

So damned true bro
That reminds me, Erik officially removed his Metalzone from his rig. Replaced it with a Muff. Still don't see why, I like the Orange's dirty channel a lot, but meh :/
He's getting better
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Hmm, so I guess I'll drop by GC this weekend and see what they have to offer.
I wouldn't really recommend an attenuator. You can't really use one to drop your amp all the way down to bedroom/apartment volumes and expect it to sound great. You can, however, use it to take the edge off the volume...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??