So I'm looking at potentially buying this amp off someone. He says that the tubes have been replaced with JJ Teslas - the power tubes, a rectifier tube, and a reverb return tube.

He claims that this makes the tone less harsh.

Basically given that I know nothing about tubes are these good, and good replacements for a Fender Deluxe Reverb? Also will they make the tone less harsh - I've read online that JJ Teslas are 'mellow' but I really have no clue.

Cheers,
Duv
Last edited by Duv at Jun 8, 2010,
yeah, the few jjs i've tried were a bit dark. nice tone, but verging on too dark in certain amps.

depends on what you want and the tone of the amp.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
they are dark but i dont know about mellow
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Ok. Cheers Dave. Well I will be trying out the amp before I buy so I'll be able to judge for myself.

In addition to the tonal change I also wondered whether these are good in terms of quality / reliability etc. Also would they represent an upgrade on the stock tubes. Fender website says the stock tubes are:

"Features include a pair of 6V6 Groove Tube™ output tubes, one 5AR4 rectifier tube, four 12AX7 preamp tubes, two 12AT7 tubes"

These letters and numbers mean nothing to me; I really should learn about tubes...
not sure, i haven't tried groove tubes. they're noticeably better than things like sovteks, i know that.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?