Hey, ive been playing guitar for quite some time now and have just started to get into metal music. I really like bands like white chapel, burn the masses, cannibal corpse and such. Can anyone lead me in the direction of like some beginning metal songs to play or some riffs to pick up on?

Thanks!
What a coincidence, because you see I've just stared out in metal aswell. My fav bands are Asking Alexandria, Between The Buried And Me, and other kinda proggy stuff like that. Any recs?
I prefer the heavier varieties of metal like plutonium or uranium, seriously though check out Job For A Cowboy I love those ****ing guys oh and The Faceless they will melt your face too.
Last edited by Johnikker at Jun 8, 2010,
Quote by severed-metal
By melt your face, surely you mean make you vomit.

They were awesome before anyone knew about them, but now they're all pop now.
Emasculate yourself and listen to every Neige project possible
I can take a road that'll see me through.
I recommend Metallica to get started. They have a lot of riffs that range from easy to more difficult. Then you can move on to more thrash like Megadeth and Slayer. After that you can pretty much go anywhere in metal.
CC: Skull full of maggots, Hammer smashed face.
Death: Zombie Ritual, Crystal Mountain.

Early death metal is quite straightforward and simple, check the first releases of these bands. Morbid Angel are cool as **** too.

But really, you can even practise on Necrophagist or Nile. Just take it slow with each riff, practise with a metronome and persevere.
You'll nail 'em down for sure.
\m/
I don't Metal as much as I used to, now. But when I do Metal, it's very metallic.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Here is some good metal for you

Deicide - Serpents Of The Light - Blame It On God - Satan Spawn The Caco Daemon
Dissection - In The Cold Winds Of Nowhere - Shadow Over A Lost Kingdom
Morbid Angel - Blessed Are The Sick - Lions Den - Eyes To See,Ears Too Hear
Nile - Execration Text - Serpent Headed Mask - Multitude Of Foes - Laying Fire Upon Apep
Dark Funeral - Demons Of Five - Stigmata - Aterra Totus Sanctus - An Apprentice Of Satan
Naglfar - Feeding The Moloch - Through The Midnight Spheres - Unleash Hell
Dimmu Borgir - The Sacreligious Scorn - The Serpentine Offering

To the left are the bands names and the following are songs from the band, 2 or 3 from each band, some personal favourites of mine that should get you started on the heavier path
I can't metal anymore since I lead poisoning, now I hip-hop.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Yeah, I used to metal and I then I got rusty, now I just rock.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Quote by icaneatcatfood
Any of Devin Townsend's music is pretty much the way to go.

I got his album Terria recently and I wasn't to impressed by it
Quote by ingames
CC: Skull full of maggots, Hammer smashed face.
Death: Zombie Ritual, Crystal Mountain.

Early death metal is quite straightforward and simple, check the first releases of these bands. Morbid Angel are cool as **** too.

But really, you can even practise on Necrophagist or Nile. Just take it slow with each riff, practise with a metronome and persevere.
You'll nail 'em down for sure.
\m/

haha my 3 fave death metal songs hammer smashed face, zombie ritual and crystal mountain
Eh.
I metal with people all the time, being the rascal that I am.

They would've gotten away, if it weren't for us metalling kids.
Philosophy > Life
Metal is very much focused on the picking hand. Masturbate a lot.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Metallica from the Black album on are fairly simple as are megadeth songs from countdown to extinction on. also Black Sabbath wrote alot of good, yet simple metal songs. and breakin the law by judas priest. thats what I started with at least.
Quote by lights bane
What a coincidence, because you see I've just stared out in metal aswell. My fav bands are Asking Alexandria , Between The Buried And Me, and other kinda proggy stuff like that . Any recs?

Uhhhh what?
love is love // return to dust
Quote by MoogleRancha
I metal with people all the time, being the rascal that I am.

They would've gotten away, if it weren't for us metalling kids.

YES!
Quote by NotFromANUS
"Don't brutal your sister, Timmy!"

last.fm