ok so,

my necks effed up. like the top frets are all buzzy and vibrate.
it sounds messed up, even on the amp.

so do you think i should just try to adjust the truss rod, or should i bring it somewhere to get it looked at?

thankss guys :]

btw if this is the wrong place for this...sorry ;]
Imma ROCK YOUR FACE OFF.
I would try posting this in Electric Guitar instead...

But as far as your problem goes, I wouldn't adjust your truss rod unless you're for sure that the neck needs relief in one way or the other. if the action just needs to be adjusted...you do that at the bridge, not at the truss rod. Does the neck appear to be bowed at all?
Adjust action first. If the problem persists, turn the truss rod about 1/4 of a turn COUNTER clockwise for more relief. Adjust accordingly after that.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
Top frets? Near the neck pickup, or as in near the headstock? Most problems occur in the 3ed to 12th fret range. Near the pickups, the neck should never move. Near the headstock the strings shouldn't buzz cause of the nut, if they do, you either have a bad nut, a horribly warped neck, or too low of an action. If your problem is near the neck pickup, then your action is too low, which would also cause problems on every other fret.
/\ no matter what its an action problem

So, this is a problem with action, and you needa set your guitar up!

First, I'm pretty sure you have a TOM bridge, so you should be able to adjust the height of the thing on either side. Play around near the 12-13 frets up onwards. If you hear buzz, raise the bridge, play again, check for buzz, adjust height etc... Once you have no buzzing 12/13-~~, we can look at the rest of the guitar.

Check out for buzzing anywhere else. If your open strings buzz, you have a problem with the nut. You can shim it yourself or get a tech to do that.

Now, if the opens dont buzz, your bridge is okay, and you're getting buzzing in the middle of the guitar this is the time to use your truss rod adjustment. Don't be afraid to adjust this, but be very aware of what it does. It won't hurt the guitar unless you carelessly loosen or tighten the rod. Come back and let us know if you need an TR adjustment, haha, unless you already know how! But be aware that you can mess your guitar up irreparably by misusing the TR.
"Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you." - Aldous Huxley
Quote by hankley27
ok so,

my necks effed up. like the top frets are all buzzy and vibrate.
it sounds messed up, even on the amp.

so do you think i should just try to adjust the truss rod, or should i bring it somewhere to get it looked at?

thankss guys :]

btw if this is the wrong place for this...sorry ;]

Fret buzz...Normal. The sound being messed up will not be because of your neck, probably pickups or your amp.
Quote by Ubadood
Fret buzz...Normal. The sound being messed up will not be because of your neck, probably pickups or your amp.

wat?

Since when is fret buzz normal? Fret buzz has nothing do to with your amp...and the only way I can think of that it will have to do with your pickups...would be if the action is too low that the string is coming into contact with them
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Jun 8, 2010,
Quote by Zamorak
/\ no matter what its an action problem

So, this is a problem with action, and you needa set your guitar up!

First, I'm pretty sure you have a TOM bridge, so you should be able to adjust the height of the thing on either side. Play around near the 12-13 frets up onwards. If you hear buzz, raise the bridge, play again, check for buzz, adjust height etc... Once you have no buzzing 12/13-~~, we can look at the rest of the guitar.

Check out for buzzing anywhere else. If your open strings buzz, you have a problem with the nut. You can shim it yourself or get a tech to do that.

Now, if the opens dont buzz, your bridge is okay, and you're getting buzzing in the middle of the guitar this is the time to use your truss rod adjustment. Don't be afraid to adjust this, but be very aware of what it does. It won't hurt the guitar unless you carelessly loosen or tighten the rod. Come back and let us know if you need an TR adjustment, haha, unless you already know how! But be aware that you can mess your guitar up irreparably by misusing the TR.

See, I used to think that too, but sometimes it's not an action problem, like on my guitar, I have a high spot on my fret board near the 15th 17th frets on the high strings, and it causes fret buzz, and there is no way to get rid of it unless I raise my action up to like 3mm, which wouldn't fly for me, so I ground down the frets to compensate for the fretboard actually warping. The reason it warped was due to me not properly oiling it, so it warped. But I fixed that problem.

Also, this may sound crazy, but if your intonation is off, it can affect fret buzz as well. Took me a long time to learn this and accept it, but from what I've seen, if your intonation is off, it can sometimes affect how much fret buzz you have.

Also, TS's question was so vague that the problem could prolly just be from him hitting the strings way to hard. I think the best thing to recommend based on TS's OP is to have the guitar taken in to a tech.
Last edited by ethan_hanus at Jun 8, 2010,