I have a yamaha pacifica that i leant on but want something better and different to learn some songs on. don't really play a certain type of music just scales and rifts.

seen a used epiphone les paul standard that i like which is £220 and i also like the squier teles.

price range is prob under about £230. what do think of these guitars or do you recommend others

cheers luke
GEAR

yamaha pacifica 012
Marshall MG15 CDR

WANT (GETTING)
Last edited by lucadude at Jun 8, 2010,
If you've got your eyes on a Tele, look into getting a Squier Classic Vibe Tele. Classy stuff.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Kurapica
If you've got your eyes on a Tele, look into getting a Squier Classic Vibe Tele. Classy stuff.

I'm inclined to agree here - I was in a guitar store last weekend and I saw a sunburst one of those with white binding, looked killer and played really nice.
Might be an idea to buy used... get more for your money.
Jackson and Ibanez are both awesome for the mid-priced stuff, imho
a nice tele by squier is the modified vintage stuff, i have the tele with the custom 72' styling and twin p90's.... ive played a mexican tele and i have to say there wasnt much between them, and the squier can also be had with twin humbuckers, or s previously mentioned the classic vibe is also very good, EVEN FOR A SQUIER.
is the epi good for the price (better value) than the tele?
GEAR

yamaha pacifica 012
Marshall MG15 CDR

WANT (GETTING)
Have you played both? Cause they will be as different as different can get... Personally although i love tele's i'd get the epiphone, cause the build quality to gibson is so similar these days with somewhat similar specs too... If i were getting a tele i'd look at a used mexican standard for that money, the difference will be unbelieveable, nothing wrong in particular with squier, its just getting a really good one is like finding a needle in a haystack, it can happen but its gonna be a waste of time
"I've Been Imitated So Well I've Heard People Copy My Mistakes"- Jimi Hendrix

We're born to lose, so live to win
I know that I've already posted, but I really can't recommend the Classic Vibe Tele's enough. Before you commit yourself to any decision, get down to a shop and play a few of them. They're amazing. I'd take one over a sub 400 quid (non Archtop) Epi anyday of the week.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
I'd say the Squire Tele because I really like the feel of the high end ones, but you've got to play them both really to get the best guitar for you.