I have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard for stuff like AC/DC, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Guns N' Roses, Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin, etc., etc., etc. But it doesn't sound right with some of my other stuff like Metallica and metal-ish music.

Any recommendations on an Ibanez ($300 limit)?
Why are you limited to Ibanez?

Not that its a bad thing or anything

Are you willing to go used?

wjhat amp are you currently using?
Guitars:

1998 Squier Affinity Stratocaster

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

Money is just paper, but it affects people like poetry.
For $300, you're going to want to be looking for an old used RG or S, (but probably RG).

By old and used I mean old and made in japan, as this will get you a really high quality guitar for about $300-$400. The guitar im playing now is a used RG and the stock pups it had are now found on some prestige ($1000+) models.

Things to look for: past-1996 Serial # goes FXYYYYYY. The F stands for fujigen which means it was made in japan, you want that. the X is the last digit of that year. The Y # is the number guitar it was)

If the RG youre looking at is 1997- it will read: FXXYYYYYY. The two X's are now the last 2 year digits. so F99349483 is a guitar built in japan in 1999.

Make sure you check the serial #'s on the guitars you look at!

Look for RG's in 500 and above. I.E. Rg550, RG650, RG770. etc... RG400~'s are ok, but they have a different neck and different pups and different trems depending on the year. Ideally, go for a RG500+. If it looks in bad shape well you can always fix it up!!! That's what I did.

Often times the shops have no clue what they have so they might mislabel it. This is where checking the old ibanez catalogs comes in handy.http://www.ibanez.com/catalogs As is common with old guitars, some changes in neck, pup, etc may have been changed.

Check craigslist and ebay and local shops, and you can decide there or maybe come back here and ask. Sweet!

Again quick recap:
Want an RG made in japan, serial # will begin with an F if it's MiJ.
Check for model #, I.E. RG550 RG470etc. Check what you see against a catalog if you want to be sure.
Make sure trem is in good shape and that it's not horridly worn down
Avoid MiI, and MiK if you can. MiJ > MiK > MiI
"Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you." - Aldous Huxley
Last edited by Zamorak at Jun 8, 2010,
Quote by Zamorak
For $300, you're going to want to be looking for an old used RG or S, (but probably RG).

By old and used I mean old and made in japan, as this will get you a really high quality guitar for about $300-$400. The guitar im playing now is a used RG and the stock pups it had are now found on some prestige ($1000+) models.

Things to look for: past-1996 Serial # goes FXYYYYYY. The F stands for fujigen which means it was made in japan, you want that. the X is the last digit of that year. The Y # is the number guitar it was)

If the RG youre looking at is 1997- it will read: FXXYYYYYY. The two X's are now the last 2 year digits. so F99349483 is a guitar built in japan in 1999.

Make sure you check the serial #'s on the guitars you look at!

Look for RG's in 500 and above. I.E. Rg550, RG650, RG770. etc... RG400~'s are ok, but they have a different neck and different pups and different trems depending on the year. Ideally, go for a RG500+. If it looks in bad shape well you can always fix it up!!! That's what I did.

Check craigslist and ebay and local shops, and you can decide there or maybe come back here and ask. Sweet!

+1

RGA's also make nice guitars if you don't want a trem, pickup the guitar in my sig. It is made in Indonesia but it's a solid metal guitar.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
What he says is true. If you do go for a MiI or MiK guitar, please play it and check it out and make sure that everything is in working order... lemons are a lot more common with MiI guitars, and quality can be great, but it can be really bad too.
"Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you." - Aldous Huxley
Quote by van01010100
A used RG, preferably MIJ.

Listen to him,somehow this guy manages to get the best deals I've ever heard..whats you secret?
Quote by archenemyfan
Listen to him,somehow this guy manages to get the best deals I've ever heard..whats you secret?

he eats baby seals for breakfast.

and lives by refreshing his criagslist screen every 3 seconds...
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
RG2EX1 can be bought brand new for $299 now. And a pretty decent guitar, I owned one for a couple years and still kind of wish I had it.