Hi UG.

I have a quick question about picking, and especially regarding hybrid picking. With the right hand, how hard should you be looking to attack the strings with the fingers?

I've been thinking, and, in my mind anyway, it makes sense that I should pull the strings with the right hand without using too much force. However, this tends to mean that when I switch to use the plectrum, dynamically the plectrum drowns fingers out. So what I'm wondering with regard to this is, should I lessen the strength that I use the plectrum to compensate for the strength in my fingers? That way, I'd be playing everything quieter, so would turn the amp up. Does this make sense at all?

Tom.
Quote by strat0blaster
HA!

Well played, my friend.

I'm going to edit that awful grammar right now

Yay, I'm sigged!!
And a grammar nazi..
Quote by sTarbuck
Hi UG.

I have a quick question about picking, and especially regarding hybrid picking. With the right hand, how hard should you be looking to attack the strings with the fingers?

I've been thinking, and, in my mind anyway, it makes sense that I should pull the strings with the right hand without using too much force. However, this tends to mean that when I switch to use the plectrum, dynamically the plectrum drowns fingers out. So what I'm wondering with regard to this is, should I lessen the strength that I use the plectrum to compensate for the strength in my fingers? That way, I'd be playing everything quieter, so would turn the amp up. Does this make sense at all?

Tom.

You should be able to exercise just as much control over the fingerpicked notes as you can over the flatpicked notes so while adjusting the pick to match the dynamics of the fingers is one solution you should, in my opinion, also be able to make it work the other way should you require an overall louder sound and stronger attack.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
So what you are saying is that, rather than lessen the strength with the pick, I should apply more pressure with my fingers on the strings?
Quote by strat0blaster
HA!

Well played, my friend.

Yay, I'm sigged!!
And a grammar nazi..
well, for recording, i use metal fingerpicks (im a banjo player, so there are always soem spare), but you should just grow out your nails, and also, focus on how hard your plectrum strikes the strings, soften it. or use a softer pick: i sometimes use one made out of a peice of felt. or, increase the strength of your finger plucks: its all about balance.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Last edited by Banjocal at Jun 8, 2010,
Quote by sTarbuck
So what you are saying is that, rather than lessen the strength with the pick, I should apply more pressure with my fingers on the strings?

Yes and no, if you want that kind of sound then yes but also if you want a softer sound you should be able to bring back the power. The idea is that you develop the control to have the choice of either.

Quote by Banjocal
but you should just grow out your nails

Brett Garsed and Guthrie Govan would both disagree with you on that one.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

meh, every play to thier own: tbh i couldnt care less what an expert musician says about my method, hell, chet atkins could tell me its wrong, but if it aint broken, and it works for me, dont fix it :P: so to speak.

to put it another way, just use whatever you find is comfortable or works for you
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Thanks guys

Zaphod, I understand what you mean about being able to control it dynamically. Is it easier to practice using a "louder" technique and bring it back down, so to speak?
Quote by strat0blaster
HA!

Well played, my friend.

Yay, I'm sigged!!
And a grammar nazi..
Quote by sTarbuck
Thanks guys

Zaphod, I understand what you mean about being able to control it dynamically. Is it easier to practice using a "louder" technique and bring it back down, so to speak?

It might not be "easier" initially but once you can do it it'll be better because then you'll know you have the power and you can work on controlling it.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Brett keeps his nails long, he just makes contact with the string with his flesh first, to soften the attack.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Quote by Prophet of Page
Brett keeps his nails long, he just makes contact with the string with his flesh first, to soften the attack.

Oh... well then just Guthrie, point is growing your nails isn't neccesary at all

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.