I have been playing Guitar for about 7 months now and up until a few weeks ago I felt like I was pretty good for how long I have been playing. So far most of my playing has been blues based lead guitar stuff. When I hear someone like Eric Clapton playing it doesn't really seem that over my head. A lot of his playing comes straight from a pentatonic or blues scale and is fairly easy for me to figure out. Of course I don't come anywhere close to his playing, but I can play similar style lead guitar over a backing track or with others. Then I hear The Beatles, U2 or Coldplay and I have no idea how to play like that. I'm not looking for tabs or something like that but more in that style of play. So basically I'm asking what scales, modes, chord progressions etc. give a sound more of a pop/lighter rock sound.

Thanks
it has more to do with your tone but try the countryscale. this is the same shape as the bluesladder except you just go 3 frets lower. so lets say you're playing in G major then the scale you use is E major. this doesn't work with everything but with most songs you can try it
Quote by JohnnySolo
it has more to do with your tone but try the countryscale. this is the same shape as the bluesladder except you just go 3 frets lower. so lets say you're playing in G major then the scale you use is E major. this doesn't work with everything but with most songs you can try it

countryscale and bluesladder? keep it simple if the guy is a beginner

he means the major pentatonic (obv the major equivalent of the minor pentatonic you have used in your blues playing)

you can use the same shapes but you have to change the root notes to compliment the key change
Major scale.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.