Hi, I posted here a little while ago about picking between a lefty Fender MIM Strat and a Dean '79 Z. However, unfortunately, nobody here seems to stock either(the local Long And McQuade had a lefty MIA Strat but it was $1500, way out of 15-year-old me's budget and I'm not a big fan of the Strat shape/feel or whammy as it is, and they said they'd call me back in a week about getting a '79 Z in when I went there...a month and a half ago), and after trying several mahogany guitars and deciding the all-mahogany '79 Z maybe wasn't up my alley and the Strat bridge and feel notsomuch either, I've decided I might just get a Warmoth body/neck and get it set up with some DiMarzio D-Activators(which would also allow me to get a Rhoads V-type design, which has always been one of my favorites and is nigh-inaccessible to left-handed me unless I wanna dish out $2500 on a Jackson RR1) and paint it myself, and the cost for the body and neck together was $470 or something similar, and the pickups would be about $150, leaving me with a bill of $650, maybe. Now, I was wondering, are the Warmoth bodies/necks any good for playing old-school metal(Judas Priest, Jag Panzer, Megadeth, Pantera and so on) with, and would it be a better deal to get that or the Dean? I'm playing through a Randall RX75RG2 combo if it helps, and I'm not looking for a very different tone from my Dean MLX, just don't wanna have only one guitar in case my ML gives out onstage.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
i'd go for warmoth in a heartbeat, but i already have gone to warmoth a few times so i'm pretty biased. warmoth will build you EXACTLY what you want in every way, but the dean will have the resale value. i'd say unless you're really very sure about what you want you should go with the dean. if you're pretty sure what you want then warmoth will definitely not disappoint.

EDIT: warmoth will do whatever you want. i have 2 warmoths built mostly for heavier stuff, and a 3rd in the works. they'll definitely do metal if thats what you're after. it's really up to you what each guitar does since literally every single feature and wood type is your decision
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Last edited by LifeIsABullet16 at Jun 8, 2010,
Ah, k. Well, I'd rather a bolt-on over a set-neck, and I like basswood body/maple neck over mahogany/mahogany like the '79 Z has, so I'm pretty sure I'd rather the Warmoth. Plus IMO the Rhoads V looks a million times more attractive IMO, and I'd like a solid white guitar to contrast with my black MLX instead of all-black. Quick question, though:can I put a pickguard on a Warmoth without messing the guitar up?

EDIT:Oh, thanks, BTW!
Quote by SlayingDragons
Last edited by Enix165 at Jun 8, 2010,
Quote by philipk
why do you want to paint it yourself?

A solid white paintjob from Warmoth is $200, and that's what I want. I can spraypaint it myself then put some sort of glossy finish over it for way less. o_o
Quote by SlayingDragons
Quote by Enix165
can I put a pickguard on a Warmoth without messing the guitar up?

do you mean put one on without drilling holes? you can, i've seen people attach pickguards with extra strength double sided tape. it looks a little strange when a pickguard has no screws holding it on, but it can definitely be done. other than that i'm not sure how a pickguard would mess it up. although they don't actually make a pickguard for the V2 (if thats the one you're looking at) so you'd have to make one yourself. a rhodes pickguard off of his jackson models most likely won't fit. the volume and tone would be in different spots on the guitar

and the paint from warmoth is expensive, but it's flawless! at least it has been on the 3 bodies i have from them. something to think about. might be worth saving up for a little bit. plus some of the transparent finishes from them are the same price as a solid finish. a sunburst V2 with a custom black pickguard would be one of the cooler things i think i've ever seen

EDIT: looks awesome! tobacco burst V2 with a black pickguard. maple or ebony neck, both look awesome

Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Last edited by LifeIsABullet16 at Jun 8, 2010,
Quote by LifeIsABullet16
do you mean put one on without drilling holes? you can, i've seen people attach pickguards with extra strength double sided tape. it looks a little strange when a pickguard has no screws holding it on, but it can definitely be done. other than that i'm not sure how a pickguard would mess it up. although they don't actually make a pickguard for the V2 (if thats the one you're looking at) so you'd have to make one yourself. a rhodes pickguard off of his jackson models most likely won't fit. the volume and tone would be in different spots on the guitar

and the paint from warmoth is expensive, but it's flawless! at least it has been on the 3 bodies i have from them. something to think about. might be worth saving up for a little bit. plus some of the transparent finishes from them are the same price as a solid finish. a sunburst V2 with a custom black pickguard would be one of the cooler things i think i've ever seen

EDIT: looks awesome! tobacco burst V2 with a black pickguard. maple or ebony neck, both look awesome

o_o That maple-necked one is amazing. And thanks. I meant if it would mess up the tone of the wood or I might accidentally jab the wiring with a screw by accident, because idiot I am that's the kind of thing I would do, but that tape idea's prolly a lot safer. XD Thanks a lot, man!
Quote by SlayingDragons
Warmoth are great and you can end up with your perfect guitar, so long as you know what it is you want. They have so many options, it is very easy to pick something that actually doesn't suit you. Before you buy Warmoth parts, triple-check everything: fret size, woods, neck contour, fretboard radius, nut material, control layouts, everything. Play as many different guitars from lots of different brands (pay close attention to Jackson and Fender guitars in particular). Note down what nut widths, nut materials, fretwire gauge and everything else suits you best. Do not place an order with Warmoth until you are [i[]completely sure with no doubt in your mind that what you are ordering is going to be exactly right for you. Warmoth can seem cheap at first but they're not cheap when you have to order a second neck because you picked the wrong nut width for the first one.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Warmoth are great and you can end up with your perfect guitar, so long as you know what it is you want. They have so many options, it is very easy to pick something that actually doesn't suit you. Before you buy Warmoth parts, triple-check everything: fret size, woods, neck contour, fretboard radius, nut material, control layouts, everything. Play as many different guitars from lots of different brands (pay close attention to Jackson and Fender guitars in particular). Note down what nut widths, nut materials, fretwire gauge and everything else suits you best. Do not place an order with Warmoth until you are [i[]completely sure with no doubt in your mind that what you are ordering is going to be exactly right for you. Warmoth can seem cheap at first but they're not cheap when you have to order a second neck because you picked the wrong nut width for the first one.
Well, as I said I'm a lefty, and lefty Jacksons are scarce, plus I don't think there IS a Jackson dealer in Newfoundland, Canada where I live(unfortunate, because if I could get my hands on a left-handed Kelly I'd be in paradise). But I checked pretty much every dealer in town(me and Dad spent 5 hours of fun doing it), and by combining what I like about my current guitar(Dean MLX) and the MIA Strat I played I've got a nice little setup made. =P Thanks though!
Quote by SlayingDragons