Hey UG
Just wondering what you think of the neck of the Epiphone G400 SG in comparison to other guitars. Is it a fatter neck? Or is it quite thin? Or in the middle?
Just wanted to know because i have small hands, and the neck just seems a little big for when im playing on the bottom strings.
Thanks all
Gear:
Epiphone SG-400 (w/Hot Slags)/Chapman Guitars ML1 > Digitech Bad Monkey > Blackstar HT-5 > Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ > ETI Chorus Flanger
Snark Headstock tuner!
I found it pretty thin, honestly, which I usually like, but I really didn't like the painted-neck idea, felt like my fretting hand was resting on glue.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Quote by Enix165
I felt like my fretting hand was resting on glue.

Yeah man, i feel like that too. Anyone got any tips on how to smooth it up a bit?
Gear:
Epiphone SG-400 (w/Hot Slags)/Chapman Guitars ML1 > Digitech Bad Monkey > Blackstar HT-5 > Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ > ETI Chorus Flanger
Snark Headstock tuner!
Quote by richyt93
Yeah man, i feel like that too. Anyone got any tips on how to smooth it up a bit?

I'm not sure, I'm thinking maybe you could sand it, because the Strats and Deans I've played with non-glossy necks have been great for fast playing, but then, I don't really know anything about guitar necks so that'd probably mess it up.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
The Epi neck is average thickness (front to back of the neck) throughout with a very standard D profile. The nut width is also average, however by the 14th fret the Epi neck does get a little bit wider than average. Almost all Epiphone guitars have this same neck profile, although the Prophecy series have thinner necks and some Signature models and Limited Edition Custom Shop models may use different neck profiles too.

A truly average neck is the 'modern C' neck found on most Fender guitars. If you want to see how your hands compare to a completely average neck, that is the one to try.

If you want to take the sheen off of a thick gloss finish, get some fine steel wool and very lightly pass it over the finish. Keep lightly rubbing until the finish visible dulls. Do not try to dig in witht he wool and scrape it along in an attempt to get it done faster. All you'll do is cut irregular grooves into the back of the finish which won't feel any better than when the neck was fully glossy. Take your time and go lightly, over and over. Remember, you can always do another light pass to take a little bit more off, but you can't put any back and undo a mistake if you rush it.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Jun 8, 2010,