Hey guys,
im a guitarist in a couple of bands, one i play guitar with another guitarist but the other is a twosome with just guitar and drums. I need a distortion or metal pedal that i can use to have a massive tone but with hopefully not much noise when being used loud. I currently use the Digitech Distortion Pedal but its pretty pathetic and during rehearsal i have to cover my ears because of the screeching. the only one i had in mind was a Mad Professor Mighty Red but was wondering if there were any other ideas. My current line is a Fender Jaguar/Dean z79 into a Marshall (cant remember the name)
Hope you can help
The Boss MT-2 Metal Zone, pedal is a great distortion pedal. Mix it with a stereo chorus(have the pedal activated, but turn all the settings to zero) to get more bottom end and you can get an awesome "big sound"
Quote by charles_ebarb
The Boss MT-2 Metal Zone, pedal is a great distortion pedal. Mix it with a stereo chorus(have the pedal activated, but turn all the settings to zero) to get more bottom end and you can get an awesome "big sound"

DO NOT get the MT-2 unless you plan on Keeley modding it! I used to have an MT-2 and trust me it is not good at all. Look at the Digitech Hardwire TL-2 distortion pedal. The MT-2 sounds very "nasally" and like "bees in a can".
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
Quote by charles_ebarb

The MT-2, imo, left a lot to be desired in terms of a balanced "big" sound.

I would recommend getting a distortion pedal, such as the DS-1, DS-2, any MXR overdrive or distortion work very well for this, too. Put the pedal in your signal chain over an already slightly overdriven clean amp sound and roll back pedal tone, and up tone on the amp higher than your preferred setting. If you need sparkling clean, then roll back volume.
Quote by santa_man99
THANK you. I love you forever.

Quote by DrFuzz
Why are you researching for Christmas? It's only Ma- HOLY CRAP WHERE'S 2009 GONE!?!?!?

Quote by ilikepirates
You're right, that is weird. You win.
The main sound of your distortion should come from your amplifier, and use an overdrive or light distortion to thicken or tighten the sound. It all starts with the amplifier, and most distortion pedals are going to sound weak if you rely on them for your gain, unless you play at low volume. Another options if you're set on using a distortion pedal, is to get a noise suppressor like the Boss NS-2. It should solve the feedback and other noises problem.
Last edited by Dehumanize93 at Jun 8, 2010,
you should look at some fuzz pedals if you're looking to get different sounds.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
i only tried it for a few minutes, but i really liked the MXR fullbore.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i only tried it for a few minutes, but i really liked the MXR fullbore.

Returning mine tomorrow. Thin, fizzy and downrite cheap sounding.
Quote by Wesbanez

i guess i didnt play it enough... lol.

but i still stand that its better than the boss mt2 and any other of the digitechs i have tried.

but YMMV.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by Wesbanez

That's what I've been telling people as well.

I returned mine for a Tube Screamer and haven't looked back since.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by guitarnbassman
My current line is a Fender Jaguar/Dean z79 into a Marshall (cant remember the name)
Hope you can help

Find out what kind of Marshall it is and then post again. If you're running a cheap MG or something then no distortion pedal is really going to fix your problem, only a better amp.

If you're running a good amp it's a totally different story.

On the Mad Professor Mighty Red Distortion.... It's an awesome pedal, and it's definitely among the best distortion pedals I've ever heard. That said, there's absolutely no way I'd ever recommend you buy one. At $380 the price is just too steep. You can get something nearly as good for $200. It *might* be worth it if you were running on a top end boutique amp, but otherwise there's just no point.

You might look into a Catalinbread SCOD though. Pretty massive sounding if you ask me.
Quote by icronic

You might look into a Catalinbread SCOD though. Pretty massive sounding if you ask me.

is scod short for something? i am intreagued and dont see that on thier site.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by icronic
Find out what kind of Marshall it is and then post again. If you're running a cheap MG or something then no distortion pedal is really going to fix your problem, only a better amp.

If you're running a good amp it's a totally different story.

On the Mad Professor Mighty Red Distortion.... It's an awesome pedal, and it's definitely among the best distortion pedals I've ever heard. That said, there's absolutely no way I'd ever recommend you buy one. At $380 the price is just too steep. You can get something nearly as good for $200. It *might* be worth it if you were running on a top end boutique amp, but otherwise there's just no point.

Figure out what your amp is first, its hard to recommend something without knowing what kind of amp...
ESP/LTD: MH-1000FR
Epiphone: Les Paul Ultra II (JB/Jazz)
Squire: Modded HSS Strat
Fractal Audio: Axe Fx II (checking store every 2 minuets)
Atomic: Reactor FR
Line 6: UX1
Roland: TD-3KW
Quote by DroptuneD
DO NOT get the MT-2 unless you plan on Keeley modding it! I used to have an MT-2 and trust me it is not good at all. Look at the Digitech Hardwire TL-2 distortion pedal. The MT-2 sounds very "nasally" and like "bees in a can".

There is a solution to the "bees in a can" sound that the MT-2 makes, and it does not require any modifications. I don't want to sound rude about this, but I am sure your settings, vs. mine are quite different. I have 2 of these pedals, because I have an original, AND a newer version. yes, the newer one does tend to get a little "nasally" but you need to set it up like this and see how it sounds. (I will try to post a vid on my settings to give a better idea about it.) but in the meantime, here are the knob settings I use: place the level at 10 O' clock, the "lows" and "highs" at 2 O'clock, the "Mid Frequencies" at 12 O'Clock and the "mids" at 9 O'clock and Lastly, place the Distortion at 2 O'clock.

What you guys, that are having trouble with this pedal are failing to understand, is the MT-2 has 2...that's right...2 gain circuits in it, and when you try to add the Mid frequency into the mix, from the pedal(and this I will agree on, as well) it will start to sound like "bees in a can" So, how do you offset that? EASY! sweep the mids from the pedal, and add them at the amps's EQ!

I use this thru My Marshall 50 watt 1987x plexi, and it sounds great! Like I said, I will get a vid up, asap. I'm sorry I don't have one yet. I never thought I would need to have one, actually! LOL
UPDATE. I have checked out my pedal, and watched a few vids on the MXR Fullbore distortion medal. The Fullbore, wins. =/ hey at least I am honest! HAHAHA
Quote by icronic

I found out that the amp i have is a Marshall MA50C 50 watt valve combo. Ive also started to split my guitar into a line 6 spider 2 aswell though.
I returned my fullbore for an electroharmonix metal muff. Down right badass sounding, very good active eq. and its only like 80 or 90 bucks. cheaper than alot and way better sounding.
Quote by mmdude22
I returned my fullbore for an electroharmonix metal muff. Down right badass sounding, very good active eq. and its only like 80 or 90 bucks. cheaper than alot and way better sounding.

I will look into that. I also notice that protone pedals is starting to come out with some interesting pedals as well. check them out at protonepedals.com They look pricey, but I will keep watching ebay for any used ones. so far, the local music stores don't have any yet, for me to really get an up-close and hands-on view, but as soon as anyone here does, please post a review. =/