I'm not talking about a gritty SRV sound, like a watered down version of that. I was looking at a few pedals: Blues Driver, TS9, Ts808, and the TS808 keeley modded. Does anyone know what pedal would really give me a nice, warm, wet type sound? I play through a rivera clubster 45
Quote by ethowitz
I'm not talking about a gritty SRV sound, like a watered down version of that. I was looking at a few pedals: Blues Driver, TS9, Ts808, and the TS808 keeley modded. Does anyone know what pedal would really give me a nice, warm, wet type sound? I play through a rivera clubster 45

But ya, Hermida Zendrive is my first thought
Quote by genghisgandhi
Your mom had a botched abortion, and you were the result.

Need a laugh?
Quote by MetaIronForce

._______________
||
|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|
|__LOLOMETER__|

That deserved a lolmeter

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03

But ya, Hermida Zendrive is my first thought

I know it was risky to type that

But will I need a pedal to boost that at all? Tubescreamer? I know he uses one.
Call up Mr. Dumble and get your crystal lattice fixed up.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
I get that tone through my Peavey XXX with my Ameristrat on the single coil neck pickup - roll back the volume to about 6, the tone to about 7, and accentuate the mids on the amp a little more than the highs or bass.

If you're trying to mimic his tone, though, I'd say just look up the gear he uses and get as close to it as you can.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
If you're trying to mimic his tone, though, I'd say just look up the gear he uses and get as close to it as you can.

Have you ever seen his rig If not, I'm happy to post some pics
Quote by WtrPlyr
Have you ever seen his rig If not, I'm happy to post some pics

Nope; can't say I have.

I'm assuming, going by your reply, that it's pretty complex.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
^Well shit.
Good luck getting close to that on a budget of any type.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
It'd actually be pretty easy to replicate that rig at a lower price point. Fuchs ODS mods go for around $1000 used, say $500 for a used Two Rock cab, $150 for a Keeley TS9, $150 for an Aqua Puss RI, and $160 for a used AM CompROSSor. So just under $2k plus the cost of a good Strat so add on another $800-$1000 to make a bit under $3k. And you'd be able to safely say that you can replicate most of his tones no problem.

TS, if you want his more Dumble-ish tones, go for a Hermida Mosferatu. It's a bit darker and has more gain on tap than the Zen that makes for a great combination with single coils. If you want his more SRV tribute tones, go for a Tubescreamer or clone.

EDIT: And you may want to try getting a Two Rock replacement speaker, they really contribute to that smooth sound. There's really no making those sound hairy or rough at all.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at Jun 8, 2010,
Quote by mmolteratx
It'd actually be pretty easy to replicate that rig at a lower price point. Fuchs ODS mods go for around $1000 used, say $500 for a used Two Rock cab, $150 for a Keeley TS9, $150 for an Aqua Puss RI, and $160 for a used AM CompROSSor. So just under $2k plus the cost of a good Strat so add on another $800-$1000 to make a bit under $3k. And you'd be able to safely say that you can replicate most of his tones no problem.

TS, if you want his more Dumble-ish tones, go for a Hermida Mosferatu. It's a bit darker and has more gain on tap than the Zen that makes for a great combination with single coils. If you want his more SRV tribute tones, go for a Tubescreamer or clone.

EDIT: And you may want to try getting a Two Rock replacement speaker, they really contribute to that smooth sound. There's really no making those sound hairy or rough at all.

And what alternate universe do you live in where nonchalantly shelling out $3,000.00 is like pissing in the wind? Must be nice to have that kinda cash to just blow.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
And what alternate universe do you live in where nonchalantly shelling out $3,000.00 is like pissing in the wind? Must be nice to have that kinda cash to just blow.

Compare that 3k to the cost of his actual rig and you'll see why that makes sense.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by josephde
the Ethos Overdrive pedal.

the end.

Holy shit. I just listened the the demo clip. Good god. If that’s legit at $395 it’s a steal.
Quote by tubetime86
Compare that 3k to the cost of his actual rig and you'll see why that makes sense.

That's great that you can emulate a 10G rig with 3G worth of cash, but I've never once in my life been in a position where my only problem was how to casually blow three thousand dollars. So while I see the 'emulate with less money' aspect, it doesn't ever 'make sense' to me to treat 3,000 bucks like it's nothing

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
That's great that you can emulate a 10G rig with 3G worth of cash, but I've never once in my life been in a position where my only problem was how to casually blow three thousand dollars. So while I see the 'emulate with less money' aspect, it doesn't ever 'make sense' to me to treat 3,000 bucks like it's nothing

dude, in terms of a pro sounding rig, 3K is chump change.

a normal touring players rig easily racks into 5 digit figures. if you think the rig in that picture was only 10G's, you're crazy. you couldn't buy that dumble head alone for 30G's.
Quote by strat0blaster

First off as Joe said above, 10k is a HUGE underestimate. I'd be willing to bet Mayer has and uses over $100,000 worth of gear. Second we're not saying to do it, or even that anyone should... Just that if you want to get as close to that sound as possible for as little money as possible that's the best you're gonna do to even get into the ballpark. Besides a lot of people spend 3k on a guitar and don't blink. The world isn't fair, get over it.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by josephde
dude, in terms of a pro sounding rig, 3K is chump change.

a normal touring players rig easily racks into 5 digit figures. if you think the rig in that picture was only 10G's, you're crazy. you couldn't buy that dumble head alone for 30G's.

I didn't say that that rig was 10g, I just said 10g as an example, and you're missing the point. I'm not saying that 3g compared to (insert exponential amount) isn't a better deal. What I'm saying is that it's ridiculous to just say "Oh hey, just go grab this gear - after all, it's ONLY $3,000.00.

And the price of a rig doesn't make it 'pro' sounding. Give Jeff Beck a Hondo and an old OD pedal wired through some TV speakers and guess what he's gonna sound like? Jeff Beck. Pro is a skill, not something you buy. If buying a 'pro sounding rig' was all it took, you wouldn't have to practice for four hours a day to sound good.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by tubetime86
First off as Joe said above, 10k is a HUGE underestimate. I'd be willing to bet Mayer has and uses over $100,000 worth of gear. Second we're not saying to do it, or even that anyone should... Just that if you want to get as close to that sound as possible for as little money as possible that's the best you're gonna do to even get into the ballpark. Besides a lot of people spend 3k on a guitar and don't blink. The world isn't fair, get over it.

And it's not about being fair, either. I'm not complaining.

I'm either arguing with kids who have no grasp of money, or people who've never had to worry about it. Either way, it's pointless, and I'm not gonna get this guy's thread closed.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
I didn't say that that rig was 10g, I just said 10g as an example, and you're missing the point. I'm not saying that 3g compared to (insert exponential amount) isn't a better deal. What I'm saying is that it's ridiculous to just say "Oh hey, just go grab this gear - after all, it's ONLY $3,000.00.

And the price of a rig doesn't make it 'pro' sounding. Give Jeff Beck a Hondo and an old OD pedal wired through some TV speakers and guess what he's gonna sound like? Jeff Beck. Pro is a skill, not something you buy. If buying a 'pro sounding rig' was all it took, you wouldn't have to practice for four hours a day to sound good.

if you're trying to play with the big boys, and 3K towards your gear is that big of a deal to you, maybe you picked the wrong instrument/hobby. get a kazoo.

nobodys saying you dont have to have skill as well, but to get those sounds, youre gonna have to fork over some cash. the TS has an amp over $1K that was chosen in good taste - we're not talking to a dinky 12 year old with a 10 dollar allowance. 3K is very reasonable for a complete rig
Quote by mmolteratx

Get an Eminence Red White and Blues instead. It's the same thing. Just cheaper.
Quote by strat0blaster
Give Jeff Beck a Hondo and an old OD pedal wired through some TV speakers and guess what he's gonna sound like? Jeff Beck.

He's gonna sound like shit. But he's gonna play like Jeff Beck. Tone =/= playing.
Fender MIA Stratocaster (with SD Twang Banger)
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Johnson Acoustic
Palmer FAB5
You said "Good luck getting close to that on a budget of any type", severely overestimating the complexity of his tone. I provided an example that would nail those tones on a moderate budget. $3k isn't shit for a professional grade touring rig that that set up is. Dan and Joseph pretty much summed up my argument.

Fact is, I'm not a spoiled rich kid nor someone who hasn't had to worry about money. I barely scrape my car payment together some months and I saved about a year each for the Gibsons I bought and then traded for my current Strat. I'm just saying, it's not as hard to nail those tones as you implied.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
The ethos overdrive will get you almost 70-80 percent of the way there if you have a decent amp...really anything around the 1000 mark. 70-80 percent of the way there is sufficient for bedroom playing or small gigs. If you want to rock panties you'll want to be 100 percent of the way there. 3k will get you like 95 percent of the way there.

Marginal returns are marginal. Really all you need is a Bludotone and a strat.

Quote by strat0blaster

Extra extra read all about it. Gear costs money. News at 6.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer