So I'm heading off to college next year, and unfortunately I can't bring my 4x12 Mesa, and Peavey into my box sized dormroom, so I'm looking for a set up that will let me play through my macbook pro. I wasn't sure whether to post this in the recording section or not, but I want some suggestions on how to get a set up to let me play through my computer monitors, record, and be able to get some good metal, glassy clean, and alternative tones.

I've heard a lot of people use the Line 6 PODS, but my friend has one and I've messed around with it and cant seem to get any of the tones I'm looking for. My other friend uses a firepod and uses his boss multieffect pedal to get the metal tones, but the tone just isnt there. i have only used these for less than an hour so im probably missing a lot.

Im also looking for some software either for guitar tones, or just as recording. I currently have cubase le, which my friend gave to me, but havent used it since i have nothing to record with. I have heard good things about Logic but know nothing about it.

So thats what im looking for, any suggestions will help, thanks in advance
Gibson Les Paul Standard Double Cut
Peavey 6505+
Mesa Boogie Oversized Cab
-
Morley Little Alligator Volume
Line 6 FM 4
Line 6 DL 4
Boss DD-6
Ibanez Tube Screamer Turbo
Boss TU-2

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
If your a metal man, try the POD Studio's, they're epic. And for all your high gain needs, get the metal shop pack, its great man. Look it up
I just got a UX1 and its quality for playing into headphones. And the tones are great.
If you don't like the POD Farm software, you could still use the UX1 but with a different plug-in, eg. peavey revalver or guitar rig (maybe?)
Gear:
Epiphone SG-400 (w/Hot Slags)/Chapman Guitars ML1 > Digitech Bad Monkey > Blackstar HT-5 > Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ > ETI Chorus Flanger
Snark Headstock tuner!
Depending on your budget, you should look into the Fractal Audio Axe FX. It's causing all sorts of hubbub in the guitar world. It's simply the better amp modeler out there, and would work perfectly for low-volume bedroom musicians, or even professionals. It's about 1500 for the regular and 2000 for the expanded "ultra" version, but it's worth every penny.
POD XT Live -> Audio Interface (M-Audio FastTrack, TonePort, etc.) -> Laptop/speakers/recording program (Ableton, ProTools, etc.).

It's what I use.

If you've already got the laptop, all that will clip you at under $1,000.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Last edited by strat0blaster at Jun 8, 2010,
Snag a Pod X3, I use one, and when I went in to test it out (I was already dead set on buying it) I was not to impressed with it. When I got it home and hooked it up to my computer played around for about an hour or so and was able to dial in 4 or 5 really nice tones. You could also look into ME units from Boss, Digitech, and Zoom.
Yeah you're gonna want an audio interface or else you're gonna have latency which will probably stop you from doing anything. I'd look into Logic Pro too... you can record into it and it has pretty good amp models, a ton of effects... The only problem is I don't have an audio interface.
"Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you." - Aldous Huxley
so the recording interface does basically nothing towards getting a tone, unless i use the POD? could i basically get any recording interface, and get say the peavey revalver and id be set? im not really looking to spend more than 500 dollars because this is basically going to be for freshman year only until i can move my amp into an apartment. but i want a decent recording interface so when i do get my amp up there ill be able to mic it up and record.

another question, if i do get a firepod or another recording interface will podfarm work with it or is it only compatible with a pod?
Gibson Les Paul Standard Double Cut
Peavey 6505+
Mesa Boogie Oversized Cab
-
Morley Little Alligator Volume
Line 6 FM 4
Line 6 DL 4
Boss DD-6
Ibanez Tube Screamer Turbo
Boss TU-2

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.