Greetings peabugs.

I have a Peavey Vypyr 15W...just so I actually have something to play my electric through, or any I work on...but this is obviously not idea, for an Acoustic (but could use it I guess, on a clean amp/channel?)

So, can you tell me, what one looks for in an acoustic amp, at bottom and mid range prices?

Models?

Can most of them have a Mic input for singing along? How does that work?

Cheers!
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Last edited by Skeet UK at Jun 8, 2010,
Not sure about the input for a microphone as well.

In any case, what you really want from an acoustic amp is clarity, just like bass guitar amplifiers. In fact, if you don't like the acoustic guitar amp offerings in the marketplace, buy a bass amp.

My personal suggestion is the CUB AG-100 made by American Acoustic Development (AAD) by Phil Jones. He designs a lot of bass amps and multimillion dollar live performance stage equipment. In the audiophile world, he is regarded as one of the best.

Here's a link: http://www.philjonespuresound.com/products/?id=13

It goes for $300 at Samash. There are also quite a few reviews in that link above by some reputable magazines.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
sounds like you may want to try some keyboard amps. a lot of them do have mic inputs plus a transparent tone. i've found them to be good for acoustic guitars and for drums, as well as for singing. strangely i've never used one for keyboard
Thanks guys.

Apparently (from reading a review of the amp Captivate suggested), many acoustic amps have an XLR MIC input.

One reason for asking, is that my neighbour, who while very talented it seems, is pretty clueless about guitars, amps and so on.

www.myspace.com/christiankalambaie Kinda, Christian Gospel...really nice playing, nice voice...actual lyrics may not be to everyone's taste, mine included...but...easy enough to listen to!

So he wants to be able to play acoustic through an amp, but also be able to mic it up for singing along. I also see that some can have a CD etc input for a backing track and so on.

But as I say, I know jack..so..hence my asking you fine people.

Patticake On another note. Would you say, that a 3/4 or perhaps a Travel Guitar (like the Taylor Baby) would be better for a child (7-11) than a regular kiddie guitar? I want steel strings, rather than classical.
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Last edited by Skeet UK at Jun 8, 2010,
absolutely! baby taylors are 3/4 guitars, btw - and they're also mini dreads. mini dreads are physically pretty small, but tend to sound better than travel/backpack guitars. i've got a yamaha jr1 and a laguna ld1, and they both toast the childrens guitars out there. i'm selling my ld1, but it's not because it's a bad guitar - i think it sounds pretty nice, actually. it's just that it and the baby taylor have a bulged back, and it's hard for me to reach around. a small child might also have that problem, but the yamaha jr1 and little martin don't have that bulge, so they're easier for those of us who are reach challenged.

my least favorite 3/4 guitars are the squier and the baby taylor. you may feel differently, but to me the baby taylor has a hollow empty sound.

if the child finds the strings are hard to push, either go with extra lights or silk and steels. i have s&s on both of my mini dreads, and they not only made them easier to play but warmed up the sound very nicely.

while i think the washburn rover is very well made, easy to play and what tone it has is pretty nice, i would think a child would want more tone. btw, i've seen kids try parlors at mccabe's, but for little kids it looks like a stretch for them.

Quote by Skeet UK
Patticake On another note. Would you say, that a 3/4 or perhaps a Travel Guitar (like the Taylor Baby) would be better for a child (7-11) than a regular kiddie guitar? I want steel strings, rather than classical.
Quote by patticake
absolutely! baby taylors are 3/4 guitars, btw - and they're also mini dreads. mini dreads are physically pretty small, but tend to sound better than travel/backpack guitars. i've got a yamaha jr1 and a laguna ld1, and they both toast the childrens guitars out there. i'm selling my ld1, but it's not because it's a bad guitar - i think it sounds pretty nice, actually. it's just that it and the baby taylor have a bulged back, and it's hard for me to reach around. a small child might also have that problem, but the yamaha jr1 and little martin don't have that bulge, so they're easier for those of us who are reach challenged.

my least favorite 3/4 guitars are the squier and the baby taylor. you may feel differently, but to me the baby taylor has a hollow empty sound.

if the child finds the strings are hard to push, either go with extra lights or silk and steels. i have s&s on both of my mini dreads, and they not only made them easier to play but warmed up the sound very nicely.

while i think the washburn rover is very well made, easy to play and what tone it has is pretty nice, i would think a child would want more tone. btw, i've seen kids try parlors at mccabe's, but for little kids it looks like a stretch for them.

Awesome.

Not actually seen the Taylor Baby in the "wood", so I will take your word for it.

I was mainly, trying to establish if the 3/4 were less child like and more, smaller...

I considered a Parlour, but as you say, they seem to be small bodies but still have the length, to an extent.

Cheers!
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani