So Pit, being the young, eager man I am (yeah, right...) I'm frantically searching for a job. Past few weeks I've been walking everywhere, handing out CVs (resumés for our American cousins) to managers, but getting the same kind of "Yeah, we've nothing at the moment, but I'll keep it on file", or "Yeah, I'll take that, thanks", and nothing in reply.

So Pit, how do you like handing out CVs? I honestly hate it, and I feel it's kinda degrading / soul crushing . Anyone have any tips for handing them out?

PS, searched and searchbarred, and nothing.
❝Don't be afraid of death, but of an inadequate life❞
Bertolt Bretcht

Ahh I hate handing out CVs. I feel like I'm saying "please hire me. I am your lesser being".
Pretty much since the pret a manger manager was a dick to me when I tried to hand in a Cv.... >
You should do what my friend did

He walked into a shoe store and told the manager, "I'll sell those shoes right there"

manager basically said sure why not

dude sold the shoes in like half an hour and got the job
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
I haaaate it. I'm considering arranging my CV so that it vertically spells "CRUNCHYBUTT" or something, just to catch their attention. Not that most of them read it.

But ya gotta keep at it
From my experience, "We'll keep it on file" is generally synonymous with "Oh, you could have printed it on softer paper".

It depends where I'm handing in CVs. For some reason I get edgy if I have to hand it in over a cafe counter or something, I get the feeling everyone in the cafe is watching me and gauging whether I'm fit for the job or not. Handing them in at job centres and suchlike is better, it's a more personal atmosphere, you get the feeling they're actually going to at least read it, and the people there don't see you as possible future competition.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Why don't you just apply online for things? I tried to stick to doing that and finding jobs with an application so I didn't have to hand over a CV, though employers used to look at my apps in disgust when I handed them over. Now i'm doing an apprenticeship though so I don't need to worry about that anymore.
Last edited by aaciseric at Jun 8, 2010,
I got a job by handing in a CV

I also didn't get called hear anything from at least 20 other places though. But I got the job in probably the best paying of all the places I went so I'm not complaining.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Quote by diofan88
You should do what my friend did

He walked into a shoe store and told the manager, "I'll sell those shoes right there"

manager basically said sure why not

dude sold the shoes in like half an hour and got the job

That's a great idea. Much better to show what you can do than write it on paper.

Also, yeah see if you can have success with those online job sites.
Last edited by yoyodunno at Jun 8, 2010,
Throw them at every single place you see.
Call everywhere constantly, asking if they have a job.
Once you've given your CV in, keep calling them to ask about the current status of your application. Incessantly.

Only way to get a job at the moment is to be a persistent little bugger.
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
Quote by entity0009
From my experience, "We'll keep it on file" is generally synonymous with "Oh, you could have printed it on softer paper".

It depends where I'm handing in CVs. For some reason I get edgy if I have to hand it in over a cafe counter or something, I get the feeling everyone in the cafe is watching me and gauging whether I'm fit for the job or not. Handing them in at job centres and suchlike is better, it's a more personal atmosphere, you get the feeling they're actually going to at least read it, and the people there don't see you as possible future competition.

For me, that phrase means "So yeah, you can go **** yourself because there's no job here, I'm just humouring you", so I do hate hearing it
❝Don't be afraid of death, but of an inadequate life❞
Bertolt Bretcht