Hey, guys. I just got a new guitar. Its an Ibanez RG320 QS (quilted sappele) with seymore duncan pups, and it sounds and feels great. Problem is I cant seem to keep it in tune, even when Im not using the Trem. Ill start to tune down to drop d (yea, I know its only one string), but then all my strings start to come out of tune, and when I tune those strings the other is out of tune. The theory I have is that when I down tune one string, it releases tension on the bridge, making it retract into the body, consequently raising the pitch of the other strings and vise-versa. Now I know You're not supposed to change tuning without resetting the trem, but I dont really see how tuning one string down a should hurt that much. Also, I was jamming with a drummer using the same guitar. We were in the middle of a song and it started coming out of tune. This is really frustrating me, and I would really appreciate a reliable solution, as opposed to "dood U jus got scrooed, man", or "Just buy a diffrent guitar"

The guitar currently has two springs in the back. Would adding another spring help?
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Think about how often youre going to use the trem, and how often youre going to change tuning and compare. i change tunings much more than i use a trem, so i blocked my edge III. it makes life so much easier.
GEAR:
Ibanez Xiphos XPT750
ESP Ltd Viper 400
Egnater Rebel 30 112
Boss GE-7
Line 6 Uber Metal
Boss DD-7
Blocking? Please explain.
when you take a piece of wood, or some other solid object and wedge it in the tremelo cavity (in the back of the guitar) to keep the tremelo block from moving. it pretty much makes it a hardtail bridge.
GEAR:
Ibanez Xiphos XPT750
ESP Ltd Viper 400
Egnater Rebel 30 112
Boss GE-7
Line 6 Uber Metal
Boss DD-7
Thanks a lot, man.
Or you could just learn WTF your doing, lol.

Ok, smartass response aside, one string makes a BIG difference. Esp. The low E. Here's how to tune your guitar to drop D.

1. Keep the bridge level with the body using something (I place a peice of wood between the bridge and body if the guitar)

2. Open your locking locking on the low E string

2. Tune to D

3. Unscrew the screws in the back evenly until the peice you used to hold the bridge level can be easily slide out, or BARELY falls out

4. Lock the nut and use the fine tuners for minor adjustments.

5. Rock it
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Thanks, but I just blocked it. I dont use the trem enough to justify setting it every time I want to tune to D ( Which I do very frequently).
Btw, I envy your Alexi's.
The best way to tune a floating bridge is to build up tension by just going through each string and tuning it to pitch, then keep doing it over and over again until you build the proper tension, don't worry about the string going out of tune while you tune. So tune the E, then A, then D etc, and repeat until it stays in tune, then it should be in tune. If you can get good at it you can drop tune in about 5 minutes.
Haha, thanks i'll be adding an interceptor pro 7 string on Thursday aswell
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Quote by ethan_hanus
The best way to tune a floating bridge is to build up tension by just going through each string and tuning it to pitch, then keep doing it over and over again until you build the proper tension, don't worry about the string going out of tune while you tune. So tune the E, then A, then D etc, and repeat until it stays in tune, then it should be in tune. If you can get good at it you can drop tune in about 5 minutes.

Ethan, that works great for a wilkinson strat style bridge, but if you try that with a full floating Floyd rose, it's going to take a LONG time. Also, your bridge will reced into the body, ruining your action, and inotation.

You can't change tunings with a Floyd without adjusting the springs in the back.
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Quote by Gundamnitpete
Haha, thanks i'll be adding an interceptor pro 7 string on Thursday aswell

Huh, thats weird. Once I read your post, my pants just seemed to get a bit tighter. Oh wait...

Edit:
Quote by ethan_hanus

Thats how I was doing it, but to me it just seemed a heck of a lot better to block it.
Even though you blocked it, I suggest you tune it correctly atleast once, just to become fimilar with the FR. Then block it if you choose.

When my interceptor comes on Thursday, so will I
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Quote by Gundamnitpete
Ethan, that works great for a wilkinson strat style bridge, but if you try that with a full floating Floyd rose, it's going to take a LONG time. Also, your bridge will reced into the body, ruining your action, and inotation.

You can't change tunings with a Floyd without adjusting the springs in the back.

Yeah, I have a strat style bridge, never dealt with a FR, never want too.