Ive heard things about when playing a bass through a guitar amp it can blow the speakers which makes sense, but what if I played my bass through the guitar amp but bypassed the speakers and used headphones?

I have a Peavey Vypyr 75 which I want to play my bass through so I can record using the USB port, and I cant use the speaker when using that anyway. so I can't blow the speaker if Im not using it, right?
Spin round carousel
When your horse isn't screwed in

I II III VI:1 VI:2
You can't blow the speaker if you're not using it, no.
I would imagine it would be fine if you're using good headphones.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by FuzzLove
You can't blow the speaker if you're not using it, no.
I would imagine it would be fine if you're using good headphones.

Ah cool, I have access to good headphones

So just to clarify; this is perfectly safe and will work apart from not getting very good bass tones?
Spin round carousel

If you're not using the amp's speaker and no sound is coming out of it, then you can't blow it or damage it, that'll be fine.

You can play bass through your amp using headphones, it'll be fine, but don't expect it to sound very good. It'll be cool just for practice though.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
I'll actually be using it for recording because I have no good ways of recording from my bass amp, but I can live with that

Thanks
Spin round carousel

How are you going to record it?
I wouldn't reccomend recording a bass played through a guitar amp into headphones, it'll sound bad.

So you have a bass amp?

You don't have access to microphones and stuff?
Sure you can. Hendrix plugged into Jack Bruce's bass amp and jammed with Clapton......Worked for him . Blew Clapton away with Killing Floor and so it was the two became friends
Gibson Les Paul Traditional - 11
Fender Stratocaster MIM - 04
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
Last edited by teamhex at Jun 8, 2010,