to give you a feel for where i am at, i have been playing for somewhere around 7-8 years. most of that time it has been metal and the last year have really gotten into blues. as far as technique goes, from all of the country i have listened to (i love country so i have listened to a lot) i have not heard anything that i would not really be incapable of playing, so i really dont want to worry about that. i know pentatonic scales, natural minor scales and dorian mode.

i really like improv and writing riffs and have no interest in learning other peoples songs (until i gig with country, then the usual crowd pleasers. also all i have interest in in this post is country done on an electric, more the bluesy rock country.

so where should i start?

i had a precvious suggestion to lean Mixolydian mode. what do you all think of that? i also looked for some mixolidian riffs and i havent found much to get a feel for the mode.

any comments are welcome.

here is a video of me messing around playing blues, just so you can have a taste of my playing (and i only do first take videos, so there are a few mistakes).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lBAOksO9CM

thanks in advance and
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
24+ hour bump. anything guys?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by TbaLL

i will give that a look. thanks for the response.

more is always welcome
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by SirMajorMusic
try Jerry's Breakdown

could you elaborate? i am unfamiliar.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
to give you a feel for where i am at, i have been playing for somewhere around 7-8 years. most of that time it has been metal and the last year have really gotten into blues. as far as technique goes, from all of the country i have listened to (i love country so i have listened to a lot) i have not heard anything that i would not really be incapable of playing, so i really dont want to worry about that. i know pentatonic scales, natural minor scales and dorian mode.

i really like improv and writing riffs and have no interest in learning other peoples songs (until i gig with country, then the usual crowd pleasers. also all i have interest in in this post is country done on an electric, more the bluesy rock country.

so where should i start?

i had a precvious suggestion to lean Mixolydian mode. what do you all think of that? i also looked for some mixolidian riffs and i havent found much to get a feel for the mode.

any comments are welcome.

here is a video of me messing around playing blues, just so you can have a taste of my playing (and i only do first take videos, so there are a few mistakes).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lBAOksO9CM

thanks in advance and

by learning other people's songs
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
In terms of harmony, country is one of two things: standard diatonic harmony, or harmony where all the chords are dominant 7 chords. So in terms of modal approaches, you will want to know the myxolydian mode for all those dominant 7 chords.

In terms of learning country, you really ought to learn other people's songs. Country has a larger "idiomatic" vocabulary than most types of music, and the only way to learn it is to learn some songs. All those chicken picking and faux pedal steel licks that country players do are things that you won't have been exposed to via metal or even the blues.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Quote by Even Bigger D
In terms of harmony, country is one of two things: standard diatonic harmony, or harmony where all the chords are dominant 7 chords. So in terms of modal approaches, you will want to know the myxolydian mode for all those dominant 7 chords.

In terms of learning country, you really ought to learn other people's songs. Country has a larger "idiomatic" vocabulary than most types of music, and the only way to learn it is to learn some songs. All those chicken picking and faux pedal steel licks that country players do are things that you won't have been exposed to via metal or even the blues.

thank you for the advice. i am working on mixolydian.

i think i came off a little bit wrong. i dont mind leaning other people's riffs, but i dont want to play other people's songs. my interest is strictly in writing.

as far as the chickin' pickin' thats not really what i am into. i am more into like the more rock/bluesy country like Jason Aldean and maybe some of Jake Owen's songs like eight second ride, and Justin Moore. that type of stuff. i have worked on some of the riffs from those songs, but i am going more for the general feel.

are there any sites or pages with a bunch of mixolydian riffs so i can get more of a feel of how the scale is used, to give me a jump start? i looked for quite a while and wasnt able to find anything overly great.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by SirMajorMusic
Jerry's Breakdown - Jerry Reed

It's a song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKLrO0WIzG4

ohhhh. thanks i will look into it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
thank you for the advice. i am working on mixolydian.

i think i came off a little bit wrong. i dont mind leaning other people's riffs, but i dont want to play other people's songs. my interest is strictly in writing.

as far as the chickin' pickin' thats not really what i am into. i am more into like the more rock/bluesy country like Jason Aldean and maybe some of Jake Owen's songs like eight second ride, and Justin Moore. that type of stuff. i have worked on some of the riffs from those songs, but i am going more for the general feel.

are there any sites or pages with a bunch of mixolydian riffs so i can get more of a feel of how the scale is used, to give me a jump start? i looked for quite a while and wasnt able to find anything overly great.

I wasn't very familiar with Jason Aldean, so I pulled up one of his songs on YouTube. It was called "The Truth". I liked it, BTW. Here's what I hear:

The verses and choruses are primarily big open or barre cowboy chords doubled on mildly distorted electric and and acoustic. I'm going to guess you can handle that.

The licks and fills in that song, when they're played by the guitar (as opposed to pedal steel or fiddle) come directly from the "faux pedal steel" school of playing. I didn't hear any B-bender. The thing you have to remember about Nashville is that all the studio players are deeply versed in the Nashville style. Even if they're playing "rock", the solos and fills come out of that idiom. So if you want to play like them, you're going to have to tackle some more conventional country to learn how to play the style.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.