Ok...Starting September after the summer and everything thats happening, I'm going to save solidly for a really nice (in my opinion) amp.

I will probobly sacrifice my birthday and christmas money and presents to afford this and would probobly raise around £400 from september to december due to these events. But I know I will have to continue saving for a while longer to get what I want.

This amp HAS to:

Be gig worthy
Have nice cleans
Have a natural sounding overdrive
Be good for classic rock, rock, clean/overdriven type stuff
Full tube amp (obviously )

I will be using a fender strat and a few pedals with this.

I was thinking along the lines of perhaps a Marshall JCM 800 head and cab or combo.

I would like a head and cab this time round...possibly a 2x12 as I own a combo now and want something a bit different.

If I could get some pros and cons of using a cab?

Any suggestions? If the JCM 800 is the way forward, how much should I be looking at for a used one in good nic?

Thanks folks

Luke
You are better off asking in 'Guitar Gear and & Accessories'

Reported for move.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Absent Mind
You are better off asking in 'Guitar Gear and & Accessories'

Reported for move.

Thats exactly where I am.

Thanks for trying to correct me...now correct yourself.

You tried to look clever there...turns out you look a bit silly now.
Last edited by moominman2 at Jun 8, 2010,
yeah, that was confusing….

jcm800's sound great in their OD channel when biased CORRECTLY, but i can't seem to get the cleans to really "sparkle" like other marshalls or other amps - i'll try and get back with other ideas for you
Lawl.

Have you considered the VC30, or Lionheart LH20H (Though im not sure on it headroom wise), since you're allready a laney user.

I cant give you an opinion on the Jcm 800.

Maybe an Orange AD30 on ebayzz.

Peavey C30 head (though i think the VC sounds nicer, but it doesnt come in a head)

Vox Night Train

Egnater Tweaker/Rebel

Vox AC50/AC30H

Pros of a cab/head -> Easier to move than a combo, providing it isnt a mahoosive head/cab. Something like a 15kg head + 2x12 is easier to move than a 2x12 combo.
Interchangable, you can swap the head if you ever want a change.
Looks sexier.

Cons -> Tends to cost more.
Great stuff there.

I have been tempted by the VC30 but it doesn't seem to stand out to me for some reason.

A head and cab, as you said looks sexy haha. And being a JCM just makes it all that much better.

I can imagine loving the JCM due to its size and it would feel great to have it behind me at a gig

I'll check out those other amps you suggested too.

The lionheart does look great too...but 20watts does put me off a bit. Is that gig worthy?

cheers!
Deffinately gig worthy, 20 watts is alot of volume, especially through a 2x12, i just dont know clean it would stay at gigging volumes, youd have to ask someone who owns one or has tried it.

Or better yet try it yourself.

And for the record its gunna be hard getting a 2x12 + JCM800 for £400 (assuming thats your budget for everything,) a combo would probably be doable though.
All of beckyjc's suggestions are good ones.

20 watts is definitely gig worthy, especially if you mic it. That said, it probably won't remain completely clean either.
Thanks guys.

Yeah £300 would get me a used marshall JCM 800 on the bay which seems pretty sweet!

But I think it could be worth paying that little extra to get the cab version but we'll see.

still haven't decided...got some months to go yet still
Quote by moominman2
Thats exactly where I am.

Thanks for trying to correct me...now correct yourself.

You tried to look clever there...turns out you look a bit silly now.

actually, the thread was moved by a mod. which was exactly what he intended.

who looks silly now
Quote by jof1029

who looks silly now

Pwnt.

But seriously, the JCM 800 is probably a good amp for you. Head and cab is good because it's (generally) easy to transport it as two lighter loads with a similar number of speakers, and you can try different combinations of heads and cabs in the future with more ease.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
As an owner of a JCM800 it is a perfect amp for classic hard rock etc.

BUT.

T'is VERY loud, and even though I own one, i'd recommend looking at the Orange AD30 as Becky said and also the Thunder 30.

I bought my 50w 2x12 combo for £251 so you can get them cheap as chips!

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
i will recommend what i have been recommending a ton lately. an egnater tweaker, or rebel. great amps qualitywise and have amazing tone.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by jof1029

who looks silly now

But I don't go to any other place but here...apart from the occasional time I want to check out the pit.

Explain how you know it was moved please...

As for the other suggestions, all look pretty good. I can't believe how cheap the JCM 800 combos go for so cheap

I'll check out these suggestions

thanks

EDIT: OOOOoooooohhhhhhhhhhhh...

The thunder 30 looks sick! Its not too expensive either. Just requires a little more saving.

What cab should I be looking at for it?
Last edited by moominman2 at Jun 9, 2010,
Quote by moominman2
Thanks guys.

Yeah £300 would get me a used marshall JCM 800 on the bay which seems pretty sweet!

But I think it could be worth paying that little extra to get the cab version but we'll see.

still haven't decided...got some months to go yet still

really:|
there usually £600-800
jcm900's have a bit more gain and go for abit cheaper

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MARSHALL-JCM-800-LEAD-SERIES-50-WATT-1987-/160441137310?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item255b09789e

thats pretty cheap for one
Last edited by josh_salty at Jun 9, 2010,
Quote by moominman2
I was talking bout the combos man

still that one on ebay was 299 and still had 7 hours to go
its atleast going up to £450 can't really judge the price until the last 5 minutes
I'v got a few in my ebay watching history with them going for around £300...

Check out how much Chrisiphone got for his. I have been researching these for a while now...

EDIT: And the one on ebay going for £290 is in mint condition. That also boosts the bids on ebay.
Last edited by moominman2 at Jun 9, 2010,
Quote by moominman2
But I don't go to any other place but here...apart from the occasional time I want to check out the pit.

first, because i can see things you cant. one of my little tools tells me that it was moved.
second, because there was a re-direct left in GB&C. its on the second page atm.

also, looks like most jcm 800s go for minimum of 400 GBP on ebay, depending on the conditions. checking completed listings is better than looking at current sales if you want to know what they are going for.
what i like about the head/cab form, is that while it is sort of an investment and is expensive right now, when you'll want an upgrade, if you have a good cab, all you'll need to get is a head alone

and a head alone is always cheaper than its combo form =)

otherwise, there's the cool factor and the fact that it's lighter to transport (2x a lighter charge feels better) but it takes more space and it doesn't necessarily sounds better (a 2x12 cab sounds exactly like a 2x12 combo, assuming it's the same amp)

it's customisable though :-) if you want a mesa 2x12 and an orange head, what's wrong? nothing stopped me there hehehe
Quote by moominman2
I'v got a few in my ebay watching history with them going for around £300...

Check out how much Chrisiphone got for his. I have been researching these for a while now...

EDIT: And the one on ebay going for £290 is in mint condition. That also boosts the bids on ebay.

if thats true i stand corrected
but i wouldnt assume your gunna get them it seems like they occasionally come across
but al the buy it now's are all above £500 for the head and you mentioned you were interested in head and cab
the JCM800 has great distortion for classic rock but the cleans aren't that good.

get a peavey classic 30. has great cleans and overdrive.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by moominman2

As for the other suggestions, all look pretty good. I can't believe how cheap the JCM 800 combos go for so cheap

I'll check out these suggestions

thanks

EDIT: OOOOoooooohhhhhhhhhhhh...

The thunder 30 looks sick! Its not too expensive either. Just requires a little more saving.

What cab should I be looking at for it?

Im getting the thunder myself actually. I wouldve reccomended it, but most of oranges stuff tends to me more gain orientated rather than cleans. Though the cleans sound nice from clips. But i cant really tell too well from youtube. Well find out when they stop fannying about and bloody release it. That and the fact theyre pretty darkly voiced and the thunder has more gain than you need.

On the plus side it is switchable down to 7.5 watts. So itll be bedroom friendly-ish and suitable for gigging.

I got an Orange PPC112 for it personally.
Quote by beckyjc
Im getting the thunder myself actually. I wouldve reccomended it, but most of oranges stuff tends to me more gain orientated rather than cleans. Though the cleans sound nice from clips. But i cant really tell too well from youtube. Well find out when they stop fannying about and bloody release it. That and the fact theyre pretty darkly voiced and the thunder has more gain than you need.

On the plus side it is switchable down to 7.5 watts. So itll be bedroom friendly-ish and suitable for gigging.

I got an Orange PPC112 for it personally.

+1

Thunder 30 sounds great, I just have to realise which is more important, a year in Australia or another amp! If it's the amp i'll run it in parallel with my 800'

As for cab recommendations i'd go with Becky's suggestion again, a 1x12 would be great to have in your room but also small enough to lug around in the back of a car to gigs.

If anything bigger was of your desire, then one of the open back Orange PPC212's should be great!

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Last edited by Chrisiphone at Jun 9, 2010,
Quote by jof1029
first, because i can see things you cant. one of my little tools tells me that it was moved.
second, because there was a re-direct left in GB&C. its on the second page atm.

also, looks like most jcm 800s go for minimum of 400 GBP on ebay, depending on the conditions. checking completed listings is better than looking at current sales if you want to know what they are going for.

Ok I was just asking a question.

And yes they are as you say "completed" listings. I am an ebay fanatic and spend A LOT of time trying to find good deals. And no they don't go for a minimum of £400 atall. It all depends on the condition/ how the seller words the description/ any problems etc. Not just because its a JCM 800 will it sell for a minimum of £400.

Punch in this number and go check it out on ebay

220612564618 - This is a JCM 800 50watts 4010 WITH an extention cab. This went for £350

I have no more examples in my history as I cleared it but I'm glad you now know that JCM 800s don't go for a minimum of £400.

The one I showed you was in great condition with that added extra.

Also, cheers for the suggestions and thoughts folks...i'v been given a lot to think about