So pit, do IQ scores matter? Do they accurately measure intelligence? What is intelligence? Does intelligence matter?

I think that a high IQ can show for something. But not much. I took an IQ test once and got a 159 on it. However, I do absolutely horrible in school. I'll be lucky to get into a half-decent college because of my grades.

So Pit. Opinions. Now.
Today I feel electric grey
I hope tomorrow, neon black
As a psychology graduate I am telling you that IQ scores only matter to people who don't truly understand how IQ scores work and to strange people who actually think they're worth the paper they're wrote on.
You probably have ADD or something.
Quote by Xiaoxi
Yea, you show her common sense. You show her your common sense hard. You shove your common sense down her throat. She's a naughty little thing and you need to beat some common sense all over her face.

^In regards to incest
They don't measure emotional intelligence, which many will say is equally important to reasoning. They're not very accurate, and some people say they're biased in favour of white middle-class people, but I don't think that's true.

Besides, too many people take tests on the internet and try to pass them off as the real thing.
The search bar has an IQ of over 9000, ask it
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
Quote by StewieSwan
Must have been a shitty internet iq test

A psychologist administered it.
Today I feel electric grey
I hope tomorrow, neon black
Internet IQ tests aren't really anything to go by...

Official IQ tests aren't the most accurate thing but most of the people who say 'urrr IQ tests mean nothing mann' are usually people who just scored a shit score on their test.

It does have a reasonably strong link with intelligence, so I wouldn't take too big a pinch of salt
Last edited by vitchb at Jun 8, 2010,
Work ethic is far more important in the grand scheme of things.

Edit: IMO (I may be talking out of my ass) intelligence is how quickly/easily you process information, if you aren't willing to put that intelligence to use though it means nothing. A person of average intelligence but who is willing to put their best work forward in any given situation is going to go far.
Last edited by stephen_rettie at Jun 8, 2010,
i think it just sees how well you recognize patterns.
but i dunno, could be wrong
IQ tests measure ability, not knowledge or wisdom. they are no guarantee of success. quite frankly, you could have an IQ of 160 and not know a damn thing, and you can be considerably smart and have an IQ of 110.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Its arguable that they measure nothing. Its also arguable they are are racist according to some. In the end its hard to gauge the intelligence, knowledge, and skills of a person via a small random question sample.
Especially when you take into account some people are just bad at tests.
No, I have an IQ of 160, while my friend has an IQ of 140. My friend is the KING of logic and reason. He is the former chess CHAMPION of the state of Georgia, which consists of several million people. He can beat the average player in 3 to 4 moves. On the other hand, I have more creativity, which isn't supposed to be factored into IQ because its a logic and reasoning test, but wait...my IQ is 20 points higher than the former chess champion of the state. Also I am poor at managing my emotions, am quite neorotic, which makes me feel extremely stupid sometimes. Basically, I have low Emotional Intelligence.
Last edited by EnemyWolf at Jun 8, 2010,
Ofcourse, Intelligence directly effects the amount of mana you have, more mana is always a bonus.
Main Gear:

ESP Eclipse CTM I
Dean 'Shards' Razorback
Chapman Guitars ML-1
Ibanez AEL40SE Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Small Clone
Quote by EnemyWolf
No, I have an IQ of 160, while my friend has an IQ of 140. My friend is the KING of logic and reason. He is the former chess CHAMPION of the state of Georgia. He can beat the average player in 3 to 4 moves. On the other hand, I have more creativity, which isn't supposed to be factored into IQ because its a logic and reasoning test, but wait...my IQ is 20 points higher than the former chess champion of the state. Also I am poor at managing my emotions, am quite neorotic, which makes me feel extremely stupid sometimes. Basically, I have low Emotional Intelligence.

You know chess masters (not sure that's the correct term) have been shown to remember chess moves by remembering patterns and arrangements of chess pieces of a board according to the rules of chess? In short, it's not that they have great logic or intelligence, it's that they rote learnt patterns and shapes of pieces on a board that followed the rules of the game.
Quote by Matt_Malmsteen
You know chess masters (not sure that's the correct term) have been shown to remember chess moves by remembering patterns and arrangements of chess pieces of a board according to the rules of chess? In short, it's not that they have great logic or intelligence, it's that they rote learnt patterns and shapes of pieces on a board that followed the rules of the game.

This may apply when they are going up against mediocre players. But when you are facing people at a state championship of chess, you have to be extremely intelligent to beat them at their own game.
I've heard quite a few times that Courtney Love has an IQ of 160 or somewhere near that, so if that's true, then we can see how much IQ matters

I personally think common sense is more important.
Quote by Wulphy
Being a Republican should be a handicap.
IQ tests measure your ability to take IQ tests.
Quote by Arthur Curry
It's just The Man trying to bring down us negroes.

Quote by Yakult
Just go out in a silk dressing gown and ask them if they've ever been penetrated
Quote by EnemyWolf
This may apply when they are going up against mediocre players. But when you are facing people at a state championship of chess, you have to be extremely intelligent to beat them at their own game.

No, seriously. There's been piles of research on this. It's rote learning of patterns and shapes. Have a look for some research by DeGroot (1965), and Chase and Simon (1973).

Of course they have somewhat better tactical knowledge than amateurs. But that in no way reflects intelligence. For example, Wayne Rooney may have better football knowledge than Stephen Hawking, but would you say he is more intelligent?

I'm playing Devil's Advocate here anyway, I don't think IQ is useful and I believe intelligence is relative, so...
Quote by leg end
If quiz's are quizicle, what are tests?

Quizzes can't be quizzical, you can be quizzical but an inanimate object cannot.
IQ tests are inaccurate when you go across different cultures. It's in part, a reason why black people were thought to be of lower intelligence in comparison to white people in US history. Black people would on average score about 10 points lower.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by stephen_rettie
Quizzes can't be quizzical, you can be quizzical but an inanimate object cannot.

Yeah alright smart arse! Haha
Quote by captivate
IQ tests are inaccurate when you go across different cultures. It's in part, a reason why black people were thought to be of lower intelligence in comparison to white people in US history. Black people would on average score about 10 points lower.

They weren't allowed to learn how to read, write, go to school, or do anything that their master didn't order them. No shit their IQ is gonna be lower!
Quote by Ganoosh
I think that a high IQ can show for something. But not much. I took an IQ test once and got a 159 on it. However, I do absolutely horrible in school. I'll be lucky to get into a half-decent college because of my grades.

grades =/= intelligence.

however, colleges don't care how intelligent you claim to be.
Quote by asator
YOU'RE A CUNT AND STUFF LESPAUL1216.

It's okay because whatever, forever
IQ scores only matter if you're an idiot.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
I don't think there can really be a universal standard of intelligence. Some people can't read or write but could take apart an old car's engine and fix it up no problem. I get straight A's in school, but I think that is more a reflection of how much effort is put it. Really, I feel like an idiot in most situations.
Quote by lespaul1216
grades =/= intelligence.

however, colleges don't care how intelligent you claim to be.

This. Grades don't show how intelligent you are, they show how disciplined you are.
Quote by RobinTrower12
I don't think there can really be a universal standard of intelligence. Some people can't read or write but could take apart an old car's engine and fix it up no problem. I get straight A's in school, but I think that is more a reflection of how much effort is put it. Really, I feel like an idiot in most situations.

Same here
Impossible is just a word people say to make themselves feel better when they quit.
Vyse the Legend
Quote by i_killed_bill
No. IQ scores only measure knowledge, not wisdom.

IQ tests don't really measure knowledge.

IQ tests are a reasonable measure of intelligence although not perfect. They're a pretty good indicator of academic achievement.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
No, but I only say this because I'm getting the highest grades in my school year (I know these aren't a very good intelligence indicator either, but I'm generally very intelligent) but did awful in my last IQ test.
Last edited by CrimsonBizzare at Jun 9, 2010,
They don't matter unless you're in a IQ test competition. Only then do they start becoming useful.
IQ tests don't measure intelligence, they measure your ability to think logically. Being able to think logically is obviously important for being intelligent but there are plenty of other things to take into account.
you are what you is