My phone has turned out to be shit and I sold my Ipod so I'm in the market for a new one.

Size isn't a huge issue, I'd like to have at least 16gig though as I don't download music that is under 320kb/s so an album takes up a bit of room. The thing that really matters is sound quality, I'm not going to get another Ipod Touch as the sound wasn't great on my old one, I'd also like something that plays FLAC if there is such a thing.

I'll be using it through a pair of Sure SE310's and possibly a Fiio E5 amp, but I'd like to be able to do away with the amp as the battery has a nasty habbit of running out half way through long trips when I've forgotten the normal M-F wire.

I don't mind spending up to £300 as it's something I use all the time. So, any ideas?
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
Seriously, I'd buy an iPod again. But that's just me, I've had mine for almost three years and it has survived everything so far.

One of those big 160Gb ones, they cost less than £300.
---

"L'esclave parfait est celui qui croit être libre."

---
I have a Creative Zen X-Fi (the one with buttons, the newer one has a touchscreen)
It sounds great, but it's expensive and has a ****load of features I don't use. I'm pretty sure it supports FLAC

The software sucks, but I think that's the case for any player. You can drag and drop songs, but then album art isn't transferred.
Are you sure it's not the headphones that made your Ipod sound like crap? I find most ear bud headphones are like that.

Trade in your shit phone and get an Iphone 4G when available.

Edit: I finished reading your post and it sounds like you have a decent set up
"Swords, nature's hell sticks."- Trip Fisk
Last edited by mtforever at Jun 8, 2010,
I would buy another Ipod if I had to, they are definately reliable, but they don't sound great without an amp, you can't customise the EQ and they don't support FLAC.

I had a Creative years ago and had no end of problems with it, so I'd be reluctant to buy another one, unless they have actually hugely improved in the last couple of years.

Anyone know of any lesser known brands that are putting out good shit? I really don't mind paying for quality.

Quote by mtforever
Are you sure it's not the headphones that made your Ipod sound like crap? I find most ear bud headphones are like that.

Trade in your shit phone and get an Iphone 4G when available.

Edit: I finished reading your post and it sounds like you have a decent set up

Yeh man, my earphones are ok, my phone is definately crap though, I was well fucked off when I got it as I sold my Ipod the day before it arrived, thinking it would sound ok... Bit of a mistake really.

My only gripe about buying an Iphone is that it's still going to sound like an Ipod, I don't mind the phone as a phone, so I'd rather keep that and fork out on an awesome sounding music player.
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Last edited by faultyy at Jun 8, 2010,
iPod Classic. My 30GB Video has been used pretty much everyday for 5 years and has never wiped itself/crashed beyond repair. Had to buy a new battery for a few quid because it was plugged in a lot. The only apple product I feel was worth the money paid.
If you want high quality audio, look no further than a Cowon.

http://www.jetaudio.com/products/cowon/s9/

Not too sure about the actual price, but the Cowon S9 comes in 16GB (for $200USD) and probably larger. It has a really nice AMOLED touch screen. As well, Cowons are designed by proper audio engineers. The built in EQ system is one of the best in the business.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Cheap option - Sansa Clip plus: 8G +8G SD card about £50

Dear option - Cowon S9: £240 32G
- Samsung YP-P3: £120 16G

All of them have the best sound quality you can get from an MP3 player, even the Sansa clip. Don't get an iPod if you want great sound quality. You have great earphones so yeah, don't waste them on an iPod
Last edited by Duffman123 at Jun 8, 2010,
Quote by captivate
If you want high quality audio, look no further than a Cowon.

http://www.jetaudio.com/products/cowon/s9/

Not too sure about the actual price, but the Cowon S9 comes in 16GB (for $200USD) and probably larger. It has a really nice AMOLED touch screen. As well, Cowons are designed by proper audio engineers. The built in EQ system is one of the best in the business.

Cheers man, that looks awesome, so awesome I just ordered one, 16gig and well under budget so I can still pay my phone bill... Or get shitfaced this weekend

Quote by faultyy
Cheers man, that looks awesome, so awesome I just ordered one, 16gig and well under budget so I can still pay my phone bill... Or get shitfaced this weekend

I want one, I want to get shitfaced over the weekend...I'm jealous
iPod have much, much better quality audio if you use a good quality LOD, thats that I was presuming you to be using, go cowan if you want to use the normal 3.5 jack.