I have always been interested in making guitars. I am planning on attending a luthier school in about 3 years, but mean while, are there any good sites or resources online (or books) on building acoustic guitars?I just want to attempt in making a small size classical guitar with cheap woods for the fun of it.
Quote by FinisherX
I have always been interested in making guitars. I am planning on attending a luthier school in about 3 years, but mean while, are there any good sites or resources online (or books) on building acoustic guitars?I just want to attempt in making a small size classical guitar with cheap woods for the fun of it.

This Book is the Acoustic and Classical Bible. Accept no substitutes.

This Bloke on Youtube. It will take you hours to watch them all. Every single stage is done in detail and I think he is following the procedures in the book above.

Don't use too cheap wood. You can get spruce and back and side sets pretty cheap. Practice bending on cheap stuff, but use half decent wood for the actual build, or there is little point. After all, it is a great deal of effort.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
go to www.lmii.com and www.stew-mac.com

read everything on the sites. stew mac has videos, too. and order their catalogs. you won't believe how much you can learn about the tooling and materials from those catalogs.

http://www.esomogyi.com/books.html
this man is considered not only to be one of the master luthiers around, but also many name luthiers go to his workshops and say that it changes everything for them. he has two very expensive books and a dvd of his lecture at healdsberg, and there is a sample chapter from each book.

my husband and i are starting to make our own guitars, and we bought the dvd first, then recently bought the books. they're quite amazing, really - worth the money, but it is a lot of money even so.

the book Skeet UK recommends is one probably every luthier has read, but while it's helpful and informative, i wasn't thrilled with it. the guitar he shows how to make is very heavy, the bracing included. also they use very little in the way of tooling that was around even when the book was first written, and as a result things are done the hard way, but not necessarily the better way. still a good read.

i just asked my husband, and he recommends this book
http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Repair-Guitars-Instruments-Strummer/dp/093322415X/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276046697&sr=1-10
he says it's very detailed, although old school. if you want to also read more modern stuff, look for any of dan erlewine's books on repair. even if you don't plan to repair, just to build, there's a lot of useful info there.

he has another suggestion - go to luthiers' websites. a lot of them show pics of their builds, talk about how to make stuff, there's tons there. and last, go to the build threads on agf - look for tim mcknight customers'
threads showing what he does. LOTS of good info there, well illustrated.
Last edited by patticake at Jun 8, 2010,
Clearly, neither of you have seen the video(s) I linked to above
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
the video you posted is steve dickie. i believe he's a hobby luthier, as of 2005 he had made 8 guitars. he apparently learned a lot of what he knows from the cumpiano book, which gets you started but misses all the fine points of making a guitar that sounds great. i got much more out of reading the catelogs and from ervin somogyi and the other luthier sites than the cumpiano book, although it's a good reference. if you go to youtube, you can find some good vids on tap tuning and bending guitar sides.

btw, i believe this is mr. dickie's entire video series in a blog format here
http://guitars101.wordpress.com/2008/05/12/making-an-acoustic-guitar-video-series/

Quote by Skeet UK
Clearly, neither of you have seen the video(s) I linked to above
Quote by patticake
the video you posted is steve dickie. i believe he's a hobby luthier, as of 2005 he had made 8 guitars. he apparently learned a lot of what he knows from the cumpiano book, which gets you started but misses all the fine points of making a guitar that sounds great. i got much more out of reading the catelogs and from ervin somogyi and the other luthier sites than the cumpiano book, although it's a good reference. if you go to youtube, you can find some good vids on tap tuning and bending guitar sides.

btw, i believe this is mr. dickie's entire video series in a blog format here
http://guitars101.wordpress.com/2008/05/12/making-an-acoustic-guitar-video-series/

Granted, but...the term used was "best on-line walk through" and as such, beats the Hoffman one, hands down

But, variety is the spice of life and you can never have too much good information to choose from, so all sources are valid, methinks.
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
Last edited by Skeet UK at Jun 10, 2010,