How do I figure out what chords can be played with a scale. Like I know that for the major scale its Mj m m MJ MJ m Dim. So how do you get to that and how would it work for minor scales?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalFire
You're plugging an interface into an interface...

Interfaception

Pls tell me what is Interfaception. and how to solve.

It is done by stacking third intervals according to the notes in the scale. The same is done for any key.

Like this:
C Major - CDEFGAB
D Minor - CDEFGAB
E Minor - CDEFGAB

...and so on...
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
^well said. and for any scale thats a mode of the major scale, its the same pattern just not starting on the first note, for example minor scale is min Dim maj min min maj maj
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by hockeyplayer168
It is done by stacking third intervals according to the notes in the scale. The same is done for any key.

Like this:
C Major - CDEFGAB
D Minor - CDEFGAB
E Minor - CDEFGAB

...and so on...

yes. you just take a scale and build along it in thirds. that's all there is to it.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
another thing, for naming the chord - the quality of the third determines if it's major or minor.

Major 1 3 5 (root, major third, perfect fifth) C major = C E G
Minor 1 ♭3 5 (root, minor third, perfect 5th) C minor = C E♭ G

basically if it's 3 half steps between the first two notes then it's a minor third, if it's 4 half steps then it's a major third.

there are also diminished and augmented chords (augmented are not diatonic to the major or natural minor scales)

Diminished 1 ♭3 ♭5 same as minor, but the 5th is flattened. Cdim = C E♭ G♭
Augmented 1 3 ♯5 same as major, but the 5th is sharp. C+ = C E G♯
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Jun 8, 2010,
Quote by Slapp62
How do I figure out what chords can be played with a scale. Like I know that for the major scale its Mj m m MJ MJ m Dim. So how do you get to that and how would it work for minor scales?

You would first want to understand and have every triad memorized, as far as ANY scale is concerned. Then you could look at even exotic scales and deduce what triads are "hidden" or embedded in it. Then you could look beyond those triads and using additional chord knowledge, theorize or deduce what "suggested" chords are embedded, such as sus4s 6ths and so on.

Best,

Sean