basically it's a chord which is not played simultaneously, but rather in succession. an arpeggio is a kind of broken chord.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
It means that you play the notes of the chord separately, be it sequentially or otherwise.
Last edited by MapOfYourHead at Jun 8, 2010,
I've never heard the term myself, and I've been playing for 5 years now.

according to google it's like playing an arpeggio - playing the notes of the chord in succession instead of at the same time. it seems to be a piano term. I've never heard it though so I assume it's not a common term.
Quote by The4thHorsemen
I've never heard the term myself, and I've been playing for 5 years now.

according to google it's like playing an arpeggio - playing the notes of the chord in succession instead of at the same time. it seems to be a piano term. I've never heard it though so I assume it's not a common term.

i don't blame you. it's not extremely common, but i wouldn't say it's rare. and yes, it generally has more of a connotation with the piano than any other instrument.
oh strange, I've heard that it is like playing a power chord ''wrong'' for exampel, in Trivium's song Ignition, the chorus goes like

9 x 9
8 x 9
7 x 7
Quote by pjuckazz
oh strange, I've heard that it is like playing a power chord ''wrong'' for exampel, in Trivium's song Ignition, the chorus goes like

9 x 9
8 x 9
7 x 7

...no, that's just an E(b5) - E5. nothing to do with broken chords.