So, I've been playing for almost two years now. So I'm not a beginner, but I'm not very experienced either. I started looking into improv solos last year, and I started out with some very slow, "How Blues Can You Get"- style soloing, just to kind of learn a bit. My problem is that I got stuck in the blues rut, but I like to play rock and roll. I understand that blues is tied in very strongly to rock and roll, but no matter how hard I try, I get the Stevie Ray Vaughan-B.B. King style (not that I hate this style, it's just not the kind I want to play) instead of the Slash-Jimmy Page style that I want so badly. I've tried everything I can think of, but in the end it always goes back to the same licks and stuff, and it simply does not sound the way I want it to. Does anybody have any advice for me? I could really use it.
Learn some Guns'n'Roses and Zeppelin songs. Analyze them.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
Start learning different solos, licks and syuff like that that you really like in your style. When you are soloing, start out playing the licks and stuff, exactly how it was written, and then, after you feel comfortable with it, start mixing it up, and putting your own style to it. after a while, you'll start playing more of the style you want.
Quote by leg end

"Roses are red,
Violets are bitchin'
Goddammit woman,
get back in the kitchen"
Quote by hockeyplayer168
Learn some Guns'n'Roses and Zeppelin songs. Analyze them.
You know whats funny is that GNR and Led Zeppelin are my two favorite bands. I know many of their songs already.
Quote by Spencertheman
You know whats funny is that GNR and Led Zeppelin are my two favorite bands. I know many of their songs already.

I had a feeling...

Analyze your favorite songs and find out how they are constructed.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw

Whoops srry i didnt realize that i basically said i liked zep and GNR in my post. Now i feel like a retard. Oh well. Thanks for the advice.
Quote by Spencertheman
Whoops srry i didnt realize that i basically said i liked zep and GNR in my post. Now i feel like a retard. Oh well. Thanks for the advice.

no problem
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw

Quote by Spencertheman
... but no matter how hard I try, I get the Stevie Ray Vaughan-B.B. King style...

Analysing and trying to sound more like other guitarists can help, but you have to remember: this is the blues- it comes from the heart. Maybe you end up sounding more like these guys because that's what you sound like?

Your personal sound will come out alot more playing blues.
"this is the blues- it comes from the heart. Maybe you end up sounding more like these guys because that's what you sound like?"

I appreciate the advice (a lot), but I think that what comes from your heart aught to be what it is you enjoy playing. Rock is my LIFE. I love rock, and it's my dream to play rock. Don't get me wrong here, once again I'll say that I love blues too, but the problem is that I started playing blues and eventually that's all I could get and it's starting to really frustrate me because I like ROCK. (I started playing slow blues first, because it seemed easier than going straight to rock solos, which I apparently should have done to begin with).
If you really really really really really really have a SRV or King style... like for real... you wouldn't bitch n moan...

Not that you were really moaning... but stating summin like that... hmmm

So to mirror chainsaw charlies post in a way... maybe it is your sound.... and if it was genuine... rather not bitch... SRV could get down with the best of them... but I understand the Jimmy Page want... but be happy if you've achieved what you have
Last edited by evolucian at Jun 9, 2010,
Quote by Spencertheman
"this is the blues- it comes from the heart. Maybe you end up sounding more like these guys because that's what you sound like?"

I appreciate the advice (a lot), but I think that what comes from your heart aught to be what it is you enjoy playing. Rock is my LIFE. I love rock, and it's my dream to play rock. Don't get me wrong here, once again I'll say that I love blues too, but the problem is that I started playing blues and eventually that's all I could get and it's starting to really frustrate me because I like ROCK. (I started playing slow blues first, because it seemed easier than going straight to rock solos, which I apparently should have done to begin with).

Just learn something new. "You are what you eat".

You want to sound more like Jimmy Page or Slash?......The solution is to learn/digest some Jimmy Page & Slash guitar parts.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jun 9, 2010,
try and play faster. put some distortion on it, do some bending, and play as upbeat as you can. I play rock, but i kinda blues solo also. its fun to play blues solos sometimes, but for that rock feel, learn some techniques to make your playing faster and more lively.

In same situation, more or less, except I've been playing for only 6 months, and i still suck. XD
I'm a drummer, guitarist, bassist, songwriter, and vocalist. It's good to be balanced.
Mabey instead of trying to switch completly from a Blues sound to a rock sound, you could try a mix of both.

I was stuck in that rut for a long time, until I realized that both Blues and Rock soloing are very similar, and I started putting Blues soloing into more of a rock song. I thought it worked very well, and have been doing Bluesy solos to my rock songs ever since.

Sitkemkev has a good point to, even though you are playing a Blues style, if you bring the beat up and make it more lively, you pretty much got rock, so work on changing the beat more than your style, and your style will just kind of change with it.
Quote by leg end

"Roses are red,
Violets are bitchin'
Goddammit woman,
get back in the kitchen"