Alright, so intermodulation is when the notes clash (when distortion is on), and it creates a horrible whammy/ delay effect. So I wanna know how to get rid of it. I wanna play Nightrain by GNR, but all the beginning chords have intermodulation interfering with them. It's a physics thing, and i don't understand physics that much. Any ideas are greatly appreciated!!!
Gear
Fender MIM hss strat 1997
Marshall Class 5
Line 6 Floor Pod Plus
OCD drive

I love classic rock.
Turn your gain down...
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
If you are referring to the beats (rapid, repeating silences) created by the intermodulation of two notes, it is impossible to eliminate them. When the two audio signals (waves) combine, every so often, one will be positive as much as the other is negative, therefore they add up to zero, and no sound is produced. I guess maybe a delay/echo could be used to carry over the sound from before the beat into the time when the beat is actually occurring.

This should only be noticeable if you are playing two notes that are very similar though. If you are playing standard chords and this is happening, as the above poster said, turn your gain down.
Last edited by bnull24 at Jun 8, 2010,
The more you play it the better it should get. When you play you will make microtonal adjustments that you barely notice, but it should (over time and a bit of practice) resolve the intermodulation.
Sounds more like your intonation is slightly out, it sometimes gives the same effect as intermodulation.
Quote by littlephil
Sounds more like your intonation is slightly out, it sometimes gives the same effect as intermodulation.

I agree.
I love all 5 (sold a couple) of my Carvin X-100b's.
Ok, I did the 12th fret harmonic thing and my intonation is slightly sharp on some notes. How do I fix It?
Gear
Fender MIM hss strat 1997
Marshall Class 5
Line 6 Floor Pod Plus
OCD drive

I love classic rock.
If your using your strat, tighten the screw holding the saddle, to make the string longer. The. Retune and check inotation.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
When your intonation is all lovely and set then you must learn to "Play in tune". Making little adjustments in pressure and intonating as you play. I used to get all hung up on intonation and certain combination of notes sounding slightly out, but half the battle is playing in tune.

It worked for me
LTD EC-400VF
Ibanez RG321MHRB
2005 Epiphone Vintage SG G400
MXR EVH Phase 90
Digitech Bad Monkey
BOSS DD-7
Korg Pitchblack
Marshall JVM215C
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
So is this the same kind of idea as letting a high note ring out, muting it and the note still playing?

I just noticed that happening to me about 10 minutes ago... I thought it was kind of cool.
Not exactly, that is called sympathetic tones, where the other strings resonate at their overtone frequencies in sympathy with whatever note you were playing before you muted it.

Intermodulation is when two frequencies sorta clash and create extra frequencies. Unfortunately instead of creating a frequency that is harmonious to the to fundamental frequencies it usually creates a mess of a sound!