When you are strumming, what are you supposed to do?

Hit all the strings with your pick and mute what you don't want with your left hand fingers.

Or just strum what you need with the pick and don't mute.

Or any other method???

What has everyones guitar teachers said?
The reason I ask is because I don't have a guitar teacher and have no idea what to do.

Example.

-
x

You mute the A string but are you supposed to mute the e and still play it.
Or rest your pick on the e string when you strum towards it so not play it.
Or bring your pick up before you hit the e string...like up and over?
doesn't it seem easier to not pick it at all rather than pick it and have to mute it? no reason to do any unnecessary work.

it seems pointless to play the high E string there, since you'd have to mute it. obviously, however, you'll have to mute the A - it'd be extremely difficult to hit the low E and then the remaining three strings after skipping the A.

general rule:
if you want the note to sound, pick it.
if you don't want the note to sound, don't pick it.
if there is a string that you do not want to sound between two strings that you DO want to sound, mute it.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
It depends on your style, what you're playing, how you want it to sound, etc.

Listen to some funky Froosh-era Chili Peppers. He strums EVERY string, even if he's only playing one of them (perfect example being the main riff from Can't Stop). This gives you a very dirty, chunky percussion sound.

On the other hand, if you play only the strings of the notes you want to hear, it gives you a much clearer sound. Experiment with them, and see what you like. Personally, I use both extremes and some shades of grey between them to get different sounds depending on how I want things to sound.
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
you should be practicing both
one for accuracy and one for noise control
with the example you have there it would be best and easier to mute the e anyway
since if your strumming you might hit the e once or twice
You should be dampening every string you aren't playing, regardless of whether you intend to hit the string or not.

If the dampened string is played in a chord it will add a little percussive quality. If you want that, you dampen and play the string, if you don't, you dampen and don't play the string.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.