The title says it all. I am looking for a new amp, with my dream amplifier being the Soldano SLO 100. My current amp is a Line 6 Spider III, shit of the shit I know. But I was wondering, as the avenger has a low gain and high gain input setting and is supposed to possess the SLO overdrive, is it worth getting that.. Or saving up a hell of a lot longer to get the almighty Soldano SLO 100? Cause the Avenger I've heard/read isn't as reliable as the SLO, and to get a clean out of it you really need a volume pedal.
Any suggestions? Cheers.
"I've Been Imitated So Well I've Heard People Copy My Mistakes"- Jimi Hendrix

We're born to lose, so live to win
um...is this even a question...?
wat..?

SLO fo sho. you'd be the pimp of amp owners everywhere if you had a SLO
Member of The 7 String Legion

Peavey Triple X Head
Mahieu 4x12 Cab (celestion g12t-75)
Gibson Vixen
Schecter C-1 Classic
Various Pedals, and Guitars.
Isn't the Avenger kind of a "budget SLO"? Your question makes no sense.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
The Avenger is nice but don't expect cleans out of it. Some older models came with the same DeYoung trannies as the SLO and sound just like the SLO lead channel, albeit a bit punchier and immediate due to less circuitry. The ones with the MM trannies are just about as good. All Soldanos are built like tanks, anyone who says otherwise is a liar.

I'd say get the Avenger for now as you can get them used for $800-$900 and once you save up more, sell it and buy the SLO used for $2500 or so.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
if you want a soldano at a good price look at jet city amps, the current ones are designed by soldano, and are based on their boutigue amps
Quote by britishsligean
if you want a soldano at a good price look at jet city amps, the current ones are designed by soldano, and are based on their boutigue amps

that's the whole point of saying "designed by".

"designed by" =/= "the same as"

it's just a money ploy. Not to take away from the amp, but I highly doubt a JC20 is as awesome as an SLO
Quote by Tedward

it's just a money ploy. Not to take away from the amp, but I highly doubt a JC20 is as awesome as an SLO

I dunno, man, the JCA 50/100s are pretty awesome for what they cost.

Of course, I wouldn't take one over a SLO, but...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Here's how it works.

The JCA20,50/100 are designed by Mike Soldano. The JCA20 is I think an Astroverb crunch circuit.
The 100w I think is a "SLO" overdrive circuit. In reality it's probably closer to the Avenger's single channel circuit.

The SLO is the shit of the shit. Handwired, made in America, highest quality parts, giant ass custom wound transformers. It's 2 channels, has passable cleans and one of the most brutal overdrives in teh whole world.

The Avenger is the poor man's slow but it's more like the non-boutique SLO. Handwired sure but lower quality parts, generic transformers.

The hot rod is different since it has an effects loop. This required some circuit changes that change the sound of the amp compared to the Avenger.

They all claim to have the SLO overdrive circuit but really only the SLO has the real overdrive circuit.

So it goes - Slo, real deal
Avenger - same circuit with different components
Hot Rod - same circuit with different components plus effects loop

Now, the best non slo Soldano in popular review is the Hot Rod 50/100+Xl which is a hot rod with better transformers, 2 channels, an effects loop, and an adjustable depth mod.

That being said...how many channels do you need? Do you need the SLO 2 channel amp? The used price of a Slo is 3k. You get the best crunch in existence but not much more then that compared to say a diezel herbert or a bogner xtc.

The Avenger and Hot Rod can be modded to get reasonably close to the SLO through about 600 dollars worth of mods. On most amps this price seems silly but in the case of the Avenger vs. the Slo you're still looking at a 1500 dollar difference between the prices.

Personally, I wish Mike would make a true real deal single channel Slo overdrive as I don't want a channel switching amp.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Yeah to be honest it'd be better with 2 channels cause my band plays metal and hard rock but i am a big country fan as well... I dunno really, the Avenger with various mods may be something to consider. I'll have to see how it pans out really
"I've Been Imitated So Well I've Heard People Copy My Mistakes"- Jimi Hendrix

We're born to lose, so live to win
I mean the Soldano isn't really a country amp. The clean channel is just kinda like there. As like a doorprize or a goody bag. More of a hey thanks for coming here's a clean channel enjoy.

Avenger gets you pretty close if you don't need a clean channel for a 1/3 of the price.
5150 gets you pretty close if you don't need a clean channel for 1/3 of the price.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

Quote by AcousticMirror

Personally, I wish Mike would make a true real deal single channel Slo overdrive as I don't want a channel switching amp.

+1

i can't help with the original question as i've only tried the avenger.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by AcousticMirror

Actually i'd like to see many high-gain amps like this. The 5150/6505, Bogner Uberschall and Some Recto's i've tried all sound like the clean channel has just been chucked in there whilst the main focus was on the OD channel. Why bother if its not going to be anything great
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

I agree about 5000% with high gainers being single channels. I am convinced they put shit ones in there to make it sound versatile so they can double the price. I mean basically anyone who is into tone has more than one amp. I'm currently considering buying a VH4 just to use channel 3! I feel ripped off that i need a 4 channel amp to get one sound out of. It's not even the price that annoys me.
Quote by Guitar-KID125
Actually i'd like to see many high-gain amps like this. The 5150/6505, Bogner Uberschall and Some Recto's i've tried all sound like the clean channel has just been chucked in there whilst the main focus was on the OD channel. Why bother if its not going to be anything great

It can still be useful even if it's not a channel which descended from the very heavens themselves..
I would never buy an amp which is a single-channel all-out gain monster. Even a mediocre clean channel increases the value a lot IMO.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Sorry that was useless.. To help the TS i would say you would be more than happy with the Avenger. I have never actually played an SLO but from what i hear the clean channel isnt that great. I dont know about prices where you are but out here i could buy an avenger and a Ulbrick Arena 50 (or just about any boutique clean amp, including many fender replicas) and have epic clean tones aswell. Another option is not to go all out awesomeness straight away and look into some good versatile amps like the mesa mark v (i've only played a mark iv but was still impressed with its versatility) or maybe an Orange rocker if you only need one clean and one overdrive. I mean you do only have a spider now.. you probably won't realise a massive difference between orange and mesa quality and Soldano straight away... then again you might.

Also the avenger is pretty touch responsive and cleans up well with the volume knob.. dont buy a volume pedal, learn to use the volume knob
Quote by nirvallica
Also the avenger is pretty touch responsive and cleans up well with the volume knob.. dont buy a volume pedal, learn to use the volume knob

Volume knob is not a fast and reliable way to switch "channel" mid-song.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Sure it is. Just gotta be quick and have good picking skill, then again I always have atleast two amps so i can get perfect cleans and overdrive quickly, but I still use my volume knob to "clean" up my overdriven amp. Pedal hopping between inputs and a volume pedal isn't that great either. I suppose you could set the volume pedal at a costant and AB the two channels. Each to their own.
Quote by Guitar-KID125

well, i mean i can understand it. if you don't want to lug around two amps (or can't afford two), then a mediocre clean channel is better than no clean channel. But it'd be nice to have the option, if you just want the od channel, you can buy it, kind of thing.

EDIT: yeah the avenger i tried cleaned up really well with the volume knob. With a little practice, it's quicker and easier than stepping on a footswitch. You do need to have a good volume knob and treble bleed (or not if you don't like them), though, and you have to like the tone with the volume rolled off.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 9, 2010,
I mean it's totally possible to have great cleans a great overdrive...
caa pt100, od100se+, rivera ktre.

other companies do this to some degree, i wish more would.

splawn, suhr.
I mean the avenger is a great amp. I just wish I had the option for deyoung transformers from mike.

Last edited by AcousticMirror at Jun 9, 2010,
sure.

it'd be nice to be able to get single channel versions, though- they'd be cheaper, and that way you actually maybe could afford a couple of different amps (it kinda goes hand in hand, cheaper, so you can buy it just to do one thing). I mean a single channel high end amp isn't going to be £300, but it might be £1000 instead of £2000, kind of thing.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?