Basically, I'm going to teach a friend of mine bass, so she can play for my band, and we can get rid of our current bassist, at which point I will cry from joy (he is an insult to the term "bassist" but let's not go there).

She doesn't have much as far as experience. She said that a friend taught her some on bass, but she doesn't have her own equipment. I plan to let her have my bass and amp until she can get her own (she's getting a job soon, and will be saving for her own equipment). She plays guitar, but not much; I doubt there will be much that she'll transfer over. However, I know she has the drive and the will to learn, and I'm willing to teach.

So, here's the point of this thread; what do I teach?

I've been playing since 08, but I've never had lessons, other than stuff I've found online for free (the people here at UG were a large portion of that).

I plan on teaching her to use a pick; I'm not going to completely ignore finger-style, but using a pick is going to be more important in context.

I know that I should make sure she has solid fretting technique, and I plan to teach her the major and minor scales right away, if she doesn't already know them, but what else do I teach?
rythm would be very important make sure she can keep a beat
but what would she be playing
Last edited by supersac at Jun 8, 2010,
Quote by supersac
rythm would be very important make sure she can keep a beat
but what would she be playing
Well, we're an Alternative band; we take elements from Smashing Pumpkins, The Silversun Pickups, and Placebo, among others. I write all the basslines, so I'll know not to make things too complicated. I mean, I like to throw in powerchords and stuff, but it's nothing overly difficult. If you want, I could tab out a couple examples of the kind of thing we'd need from her.
Last edited by herby190 at Jun 8, 2010,
Hal Leonard - Bass Method, Complete Edition.

Good start to learning bass.
Quote by herby190
Well, we're an Alternative band; we take elements from Smashing Pumpkins, The Silversun Pickups, and Placebo, among others. I write all the basslines, so I'll know not to make things too complicated. I mean, I like to throw in powerchord and stuff, but it's nothing overly difficult. If you want, I could tab out a couple examples of the kind of thing we'd need from her.

Teach her a few cover songs in the genre(s) you are planning on playing. This will help her get used to the bass and also playing those styles of music, what those bassists do and what she'll need to do to play like that...
How hard would this be for a beginner to learn? Is that too difficult? Because I know she really likes the song, and it might be something good to get her started, but I'm not really the best judge of difficulty; I learned at a rather unusual pace.
Quote by herby190
How hard would this be for a beginner to learn? Is that too difficult? Because I know she really likes the song, and it might be something good to get her started, but I'm not really the best judge of difficulty; I learned at a rather unusual pace.

too difficult imo, once you teach her the major and minor scales/keys, i would just focus on jamming to pick up ideas about how to write, etc and correct her technique along the way
Write out a seriesa of lessons, make sure she knows how the bass work and its main role. Then go from basics, focus on technique and that she can find her own style with in the technique to provide her with best motion.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
that song you posted would challenge me hahaha i'd start with something way easier.

This song by social d is where I started my absolute newbie friend at.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/s/social_distortion/bad_luck_btab.htm

also just check out everything by offspring, blink 182, green day, social d etc. if shes really new. their bassist use stanard root note chugging with picks mostly.

otherwise if she can handle stuff like that with ease look at some Rage or RHCP their bassists use intermediate playing on most stuff.