I've never built a tube, well, anything before and I wanna try to build something relatively simple to start off with. I've been trying to find a simple schematic online for a low watt single ended tube amp but with no luck. Everytime I find a good lead the page doesn't exist or the schematic was deleted awhile back.

So far the only one I can find is the P1 and P1X from AX84 but there's gotta be more schematics online than these. Any recommendations? I'd like for it to have a EQ and/or a gain control if possible
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Glad to see you're interested in building. You may want to consider building something smaller first - like a pedal kit. This will give you a little experience with soldering and parts, plus, if you mess it up, it's not expensive like an amp kit. There are some books available on amp building and you can even purchase kits. They aren't cheap, though. Another thing to consider is being careful around tube amps. If you decide to build one, you really need to be careful. With several hundred volts inside most amps, you need to be careful what you touch.
I've never built a pedal but I've diagnosed and repaired them before. I also had to replace various blown parts from the Kustom 100 watt head I had (I need to take that outta my sig lol) so working with high voltage stuff is not that big of a deal.

I would like to try to build the Tube Cricket from Beavis Audio Research but he doesn't have a schematic for the damn thing on his site
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

I'm not sure about where, but you may want to build a pedal first, and I really like This thread.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA

photobucket compresses everything, but you should be able to read all the values

PM me if anyone needs the better quality one, or there's bound to be a few copies of the schematic floating around google images, too

I think I might build one of these soon, actually
I'm moving out near the end of the year and I'll need something good for playing quiet
Since you've done some repair work and are familiar with high voltage, I'd go for it. Now, you just need to decide whether you want to do a kit, or do everything from scratch. Keep in mind, there are websites that sell everything from the bare chassis, to the parts needed to build your own amp. I've thought about doing it, but it's not cheap.
After taking the Googling advice (I honestly didn't think to Image Search the schematic for the Tube Cricket haha) I came across this schematic and vero layouts. However I've got a few questions about them...

In the Tube Stage vero, what are VR1 and VR2? I can't even find VR1 on the schematic and VR2 is the tone pot, but there are 3 wires coming from the vero that I would assume are going into the tone pot? Also what are the numbered wires coming from the veros? My guess are they're going to the tube pins but I don't know which wire goes to which tube. And lastly I'm assuming the red spots are breaks in the conducting strips? Sry if these questions seem a little dumb haha, I am currently running on 39 hours without sleep

EDIT: I'm guessing the mysterious VR1 and VR2 should've been labeled TR1 and TR2? Also does anyone see any mistakes or errors in the vero layouts?
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Last edited by Flux'D at Jun 9, 2010,
You shouldn't need C6 if C7 and C8 are rated high enough (16v or higher, rather easy to do..)

VR stands for Variable resistor, or trim pot if you want them mounted on the board. The numbered wires go to those pins on the valve (tube) socket.

I don't have time atm to check the vero, but hopefully I'll remember when I get home.
I've got to run off to work right now, but I've seen that layout before..

I'm pretty sure it's all good, except theres one mistake with the vcc on the tube section.. iirc it's just off by a hole. if I'm back before Jared I'll take another look at it and confirm that, though
Yea, I read through the thread where I found those layouts and they mentioned the vcc needed to be moved up a hole. Thanks for the input Jared, I'll keep that in mind if I decide to build this amp. I found a few clips online and it doesn't sound too shoddy for being simple and small. This should be a pretty fun build haha

Out of curiosity, what does vcc and vin stand for? Or are they just random names? I feel they're not random and actually stand for something though

EDIT: Googled it and found out the Vcc stands for the input voltage, the two lowercase letters that follow it are arbitrary? I couldn't find anything on Vin though
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Vin is what they're using as heater voltage. the 12 volts that go across it supply the voltage to give excess electrons off for the cathode.

If you build this use a separate 12vDC PS that can handle more than 300mA, 350-500mA should be sufficient, depending on the current consumption of that chip.
Do you mean use a wall wart that can supply around 350-500mA or redesign the power supply in the amp to handle it? Also where can I find that Veroboard at, that seems like it's pretty handy stuff for building circuits haha. I've found some perforated prototype boards but I dunno if they have the conductive strips or not like Veroboard

EDIT: Would 1/2 watt resistors be alright with this design?
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60