Hey guys, played this bass today and I really dig the Gibson Thunderbird but not gonna pay the hefty price. I played the deep sixx and thought it was fair for the price sounded good through the few decent amps I played it through.Nikki Sixx is awesome any way. I know it doesn't sound as good as my 5 string Warlock, really just wondering what other peoples opinions are on the overall sound and feel?
I dont know about the Nikki Sixx basses, but the Thunderbird Pros have some major fret issues. Very soft fret wire that splites to pieces after a few months of solid use. I'd be wary of any newer Epiphone basses.
Quote by lucifeuge
DAMN! Thanks for the warning man..definitely keep a look out for that.....

the sixx bass isnt a thunderbird pro though.

tbh i've never ever heard of fret wire being that poor so i call bullsh*t on that.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Apparently you arent familiar with Epiphone's recent QC issues out of China. They have been putting softer fret wire on all of their Chinese guitars. They have been seeming to wear down alot faster than the older Korean models.

The T-Bird Pro issues could have been an isolated incident on a limited number of basses, like how a run of the 5-stringers got sent out with with 4-string P/UPs. But I'm just giving a word of caution.
Ive never had my frets split on an epiphone. Not even my pro and ive played it daily since i got it. Id recomend the epiphone thunderbird or the blackbird(one you played) both nice basses IMO.
It does say Nashville Tennessee on the plate that connects the Fret board to the body. Is that true or just BS.
I have never wanted an Epiphone until I ran across this particular. It wouldn't surprise me at all if it was made in Korea or somewhere else.Everything "seemed " satisfactory w/ it as far as the neck was good, no fretting out,It looked straight, playability was comfortable up and down the board. This purchase is not finalized so I will take a deeper look. I would like to hear it on a better amp aswell.
Thanks..
Last edited by lucifeuge at Jun 8, 2010,
The bass was made in either China or Korea, depending on the model year. Epiphone is based in Nashville, so they stamp it on the neck plates. The serial number is usually the indicator of the country of origin.

Thunderbird660 - Thats good to hear. Like I said, it could have been just a particular run. They are VERY nice basses. Not trying to dog Epiphone or the T-Birds. I own seven Epis.
Quote by RobinTH
Apparently you arent familiar with Epiphone's recent QC issues out of China. They have been putting softer fret wire on all of their Chinese guitars. They have been seeming to wear down alot faster than the older Korean models.

The T-Bird Pro issues could have been an isolated incident on a limited number of basses, like how a run of the 5-stringers got sent out with with 4-string P/UPs. But I'm just giving a word of caution.

you didn't say that at first. you said the fretwire had been splitting? if it was made out of a soft material, it wouldn't be brittle. it would need to be brittle to split.

but ok, fair enough.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
Quote by shinhoman
you didn't say that at first. you said the fretwire had been splitting? if it was made out of a soft material, it wouldn't be brittle. it would need to be brittle to split.

but ok, fair enough.

x

Well, its a little of both, really. As the fret wire quickly wears, you can see the seams in it. After awhile, the wire starts to split at the seams. I have an older Korean EBM that is doing this to a lesser degree. I guess that I didnt really explain it well, previously.

This is my EBM after 15 years of playtime.

This is the T-Bird Pro after several months.
Last edited by RobinTH at Jun 9, 2010,
thats aweful. ok TS, dont bother, get a tokai.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
*Makes drying teeth noise*

Oh dear, you might find it's your fretboard that's the problem there.
Get it oiled,(lemon, linseed, poppy, lavender and linseed mix, something like that ), let it sit for a couple of days, oil it again and then buff it up. If it still looks like that, get it looked at by a pro - you 'll have do something before it gets worse.

Look at how you are storing your bases too - is it too close to a radiator? Maybe you should keep it in a case?
Quote by Gunpowder
Sekhmet: Known for ritually sacrificing the innards of small woodland creatures.

Also, being a girly-girl.

Quote by Creepingjesus73
As for you, Mistress of Mayhem; just remember who it is who can lick * *** + *****'* **** *****out of the ****** of the ***!

Last edited by Sekhmet at Jun 10, 2010,
That T-Bird Pro isnt mine. It belongs to a member of another forum that came in with questions and complaints about the frets.

The bass was only several months old at the time. It seems odd that the fretboard would dry out that bad in such a short period of time, though. I've had lots of guitars that went through the ringer, stored poorly and such. I have even aquired one that sat in someone's trunk for long periods of time, and I've never seen any of them dry out like that.
That's not a manufacturing fault, that's been kept in the wrong conditions.
It looks like it's been sitting in direct sun or right against a hot radiator.

*edit*
Having looked at the pics again, that bass is a lot older than 'a few months old', those strings are pretty worn. Look at the windings they've went all dull.
Quote by Gunpowder
Sekhmet: Known for ritually sacrificing the innards of small woodland creatures.

Quote by Creepingjesus73
As for you, Mistress of Mayhem; just remember who it is who can lick * *** + *****'* **** *****out of the ****** of the ***!

Last edited by Sekhmet at Jun 10, 2010,
This person posted with this bass within six months of the Pros release. It has been heavily played. My thoughts kind of drift to the idea that a Gibson would be better suited for a bass that gets that much use.

But I tend to agree that it seems to have been kept in poor conditions. Possibly spent a few months on the road in a hot trailer or spent a lot of time near the ocean perhaps.
I still cant imagine poor conditions causing the frets to do that. I havent exactly taken stellar care of my EBM, and it doesnt look like that at all.

I cant really tell if the string windings are dull. They look ok to me for as blurry as they are. I dont see any flat spots. And regardless of age, the frets should not look like that.
Maybe he has really sweaty hands and doesn't wipe the fretboard down after playing.

True about the frets, but it's been abused, badly.
Quote by Gunpowder

Quote by Creepingjesus73

It really does look like its spent WAY too much time in a hot van or car. Clearly the former owner needs some lessons in musical instrument care and feeding...