Hey guys,

Just as it sounds. Got a gig coming up this Friday, my throat has been getting progressively sorer since yesterday - probably early symptoms of a cold.

Any advice as to how to lessen the soreness before/during the gig? I'm not completely sure about some medications, as they can act to dry or gunk up the throat which isn't handy for singing.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Lemon/honey tea, avoid straining your voice or even talking unless absolutely necessary.
Maybe U2 wouldn't suck so hard if they stopped preaching and started rocking instead. Of course, that's difficult to do with Pantera holding a near monopoly on all things that rock.
-Maddox.
All I can say is gargle salt water, always helps me. Since it's only tuesday I'd go a little crazy with it. Hope you can still kick ass though.
Lemon/Honey Tea. Hot of course.
Gear

Guitars: '02 Ibanez Jem 7vwh
ESP LTD Alexi 600 Yellow
Ibanez RG560CA w/ SD Invader
Carvin DC747 Vintage Yellow
Ibanez RGA 8 QM w/ Dimarzio D-Active and PAF 8
Washburn KC-70v
Bass: 1980 Aria Pro II SB Elite II
Amps: Vox VT20+
Looks like tea is the go.

I've also heard in the last week that eating fried chicken wings before a performance can help - the grease coats your throat. Also that a few shots of bourbon, or ginger wine can "heat up" the throat. Both of those are immediate, short term fixes, but interesting theories. Anyone else heard some good ones?
Soundcloud
i'm not a singer, but i've read that it's best not to eat for an hour before a performance. also, some death metal vocalists recommend wearing a scarf before performing during the colder months...might work for singers too.

you wouldn't happen to be playing at the basements new ownership gig? i'm planning on going
Quote by B4Dkarma
When you look at a guy and immediately go, "wow, what a douchebag"

that is what girls find attractive.
Quote by pistols
i'm not a singer, but i've read that it's best not to eat for an hour before a performance. also, some death metal vocalists recommend wearing a scarf before performing during the colder months...might work for singers too.

you wouldn't happen to be playing at the basements new ownership gig? i'm planning on going

Interesting. I also asked about the length that a vocal warm up lasts for. Most people say that it's good for about an hour. Handy because you can warm up in the car on the way to the gig, then do sound check and start up without having to pop out to the bathroom to do it again, and get weird looks from people doing it. It's also not recommended to practice too much immediately before a performance, you can get tired and wear out your voice by the time the gig rolls around.

Not the basement's gig - I'm supporting a band this Friday at the Pot Belly. Good to see another Canberra person around.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Looks like tea is the go.

I've also heard in the last week that eating fried chicken wings before a performance can help - the grease coats your throat. Also that a few shots of bourbon, or ginger wine can "heat up" the throat. Both of those are immediate, short term fixes, but interesting theories. Anyone else heard some good ones?

The latter suggestions are insane. Tea's pretty okay, except for the caffeine which will dry out your folds. Alcohol is a horrible idea. It will make you less nervous if that's an issue for you, but the ethanol is dehydrating. Stuff that will coat your throat will likely be phlegmy, and will also coat your folds. Ideally, just tons of room temperature water is the best remedy. If you really feel you need something besides that, the tea is least damaging.
You want an awesome remedy? Take Apple Cider Vinegar (If the gig is that important go pick some up now, it's not expensive) and starting tonight, and tommorow night alternating gargling as far back as possible, then swallowing.

1. Fill regular/half-sized cup (Not those like 10" tall cups, the like 5-6" ones), then add a spoonful or two of honey, mix.

2. Gargle, then spit. Then swallow the next mouthful.

Thats it, til the cup is empty. Doesn't even taste too bad. It will dry out your throat (So don't do it friday), but it literally destroys the bacteria. You'll feel immeasurably better.
Quote by Venice King
Beethoven ****ed Jimi Hendrix and I was born. I make my own music.
Quote by Chaingarden
The latter suggestions are insane. Tea's pretty okay, except for the caffeine which will dry out your folds. Alcohol is a horrible idea. It will make you less nervous if that's an issue for you, but the ethanol is dehydrating. Stuff that will coat your throat will likely be phlegmy, and will also coat your folds. Ideally, just tons of room temperature water is the best remedy. If you really feel you need something besides that, the tea is least damaging.

The idea is to alleviate the pain of the sore throat, I'm not sure how old you are, but those specific alcohols are picked due to the "warmth" it creates in the throat. That comes from different professionals, and all insist one/two shots, no more. Unfortunately although water is great, that alone will not alleviate the pain of the throat.
Soundcloud
What might be hurting is the way you are singing. Even if not the case, I'm gonna lecture anyways. =P

You never, EVER, want to engage your throat when singing, that just ends up hurting. So you probably need better breath support to open your throat more. You should really just think about letting the air flow without any interference from your throat. A good way to open the throat would be saying 'kuh' and 'kah' with big breaths inbetween.
Quote by AlanHB
The idea is to alleviate the pain of the sore throat, I'm not sure how old you are, but those specific alcohols are picked due to the "warmth" it creates in the throat. That comes from different professionals, and all insist one/two shots, no more. Unfortunately although water is great, that alone will not alleviate the pain of the throat.

I'm 22. That is a false warmth sensation that has to do with blood vessel dilation. In fact, this dilation in the folds will cause inflammation and your folds will literally react as though they are sick. Also, regardless of what kind of liquor you are drinking, the ethanol contained in the spirit will dehydrate you.

I'm not against drinking at all. In fact, I'll drink beer while singing sometimes, but to assert that drinking alcohol will help your cords when you're sick is misinformation.

Unless these professionals are well-learned in anatomy, I'd take what they have to say with a grain of salt. It may work for them, but it's anecdotal at best.
Quote by Ebucra
What might be hurting is the way you are singing. Even if not the case, I'm gonna lecture anyways. =P

It's not the way I'm singing - it's early developing symptoms of a cold. I have a professional teacher, weekly lessons - it's not caused by strain of my vocal chords. Good advice though.

Quote by Chaingarden
It may work for them, but it's anecdotal at best.

True that. Around the net there's also similar sorts of suggestions with provisos;

"When it comes to the gig -- and you didn't hear this from me -- well timed shots of Jack or some other form of liquid dynamite can open a window for you to sing a little looser. You will definitely pay for it later -- so you have to make your own choices there." http://www.voicelesson.com/html/faq/faq_04.htm

So considering I've heard this similar advice from different independent sources, there is a grain of truth to it. But it's temporary and can set your voice further back if you push it too hard. I'm not drinking - I'm in the middle of quitting smoking (nearly two weeks now) and alcohol would just make me irritated and want to smoke :P
Soundcloud