so Ive only ever owned a combo amp. ( a crate) Suffice to say I'm tired of its sound and ive begun looking into getting a head and cab instead of the combo, a better brand too, because im really looking for a huge upgrade in tone.

Ive head you can change a combo into a cab, (with some hardware skills), which I considered doing to my crate. but if I do that, will just buying a new head unit still sound good even through a converted cab?

Also, my combo is 200 watts, so I would need a 200 watt head if I did that right?
Or should I just trade it in for some chump change and not bother?

Ive been looking at Orange amps. For some reason I wanna try one real bad. Any suggestions?
Orange are amazing. You won't be disappointed. And when it says it's 200 W, that means it can handle UPTO 200 W. So you could use a 15W head through it if you like.

Up to you, try looking around for some heads etc. See what your idols play.
Carvin V3 - Matamp 4x12 - VHT Valvulator - Maxon OD808 - Visual Volume Pedal

EH Cathedral - Ibanez DE7
It's possible to turn a combo into a cab yeah, I wouldn't reccomend doing it though, especially not with a crate combo, it's more than likely got pretty bad speakers in it.

If you're going to buy a new amp/head then you need to get yourself a good cab too, otherwise you won't get the full sound potential out of your new amp.

Sell the Crate and just put the money towards your new rig.

Orange amps are good, depends what type of music you play and what budget you have?
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Dude, just buy a head and cab. It will be way better, trust me.

But judging by your post, you have lack of funds, which means you probably shouldn't go for orange. Try out amps from the used section of GC if you want em cheap, or hit up ebay. But I wouldn't really suggest going used if you want it to last. I myself am a tube amp user. They sound thicker and warmer to my ear. they are also more expensive to buy and maintain, and they are heavier. I would say just go to guitar stores and try a bunch of amps!
Quote by bassdrum
Dude, just buy a head and cab. It will be way better, trust me.

Definatly not always the case, combos are awsome too.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
thanks for the advice!

What kind of head and cab could I get for like 1200? Oranges seem to be really expensive lol. Id have to save for a little while to afford them.

edit: 1200 usd that is.
Quote by FuzzLove
Definatly not always the case, combos are awsome too.

I know, and I agree. I was saying it would be better if he were to buy a head to just buy a cab as well, instead of turning his crate combo into a cab..

Quote by Nason
thanks for the advice!

What kind of head and cab could I get for like 1200? Oranges seem to be really expensive lol. Id have to save for a little while to afford them.

edit: 1200 usd that is.

Dude, like I said only you can decide what you want. Go to guitar center or anywhere aorund you that sells amps, and try every single one you can. I wouldn't suggest buying the first time you go to test amps out, go a couple times to really be sure what you want.
Last edited by bassdrum at Jun 8, 2010,
You could get all different kinds of heads and cabs for $1200, what type of music do you play? Do you play with a band or plan to play with a band? Do you have access to music stores and things so that you can try out different amps? Would you be willing to buy used?

The more information you give us, the more we will be able to help you.

Oranges are very expensive yes, they're good, but they're abit over priced in my opinion. Apparently even more so in the US so I hear.
no i dont play in a band. I think ill just try a bunch out for a while. I rly dont want another combo tho, lol
Yeah, the more info the better the only thing about converting your combo to a cab is the speaker efficiency because thats truly what makes or breaks the sound..
If you don't play in a band then you don't need anything thats really loud, the Blackstar HT5 seems to be a very popular bedroom level tube amp that is apparently very versatile, you could afford that easily.

You still havn't said what type of music you play or what kind of tone you're going for and I've asked you twice.

There's nothing wrong with combos, why don't you want one? They're in no way inferior to head+cab rigs in any way sound wise.

Their only downfall is that larger combos are very heavy and hard to move around if you're gigging and rehersing a lot, but you're not , so that's not an issue.