I'm kinda new to bass still, where is a good webpage that has lists of scales? What do I gain from them too? Is it technique?
Quote by Trent Armitage
I'm kinda new to bass still, where is a good webpage that has lists of scales? What do I gain from them too? Is it technique?

http://www.studybass.com/

its basic music theory, are you trying to learn an instrument? yes? then learn to be a musician.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Scales are the building block of music. If you are going to write well, then you learn the correct grammar and spelling for the language at hand. If you want to play music and understand what you are playing--learn your scales and the related theory.

Scales train your ears to hear intervals and assist in your understanding of chord theory as well. Learning and hearing scales promote your ability to play by ear and learn to write and play your own bass lines.

Scales build strength and muscle memory in your hands. Want to learn your way around a fret board? Scales in two octaves will build this skill quickly.
I had meant to post in this thread when you first made it, but got distracted by an IM.

Anyways, I was basically going to say the same thing as Anarkee; it's something you should learn to recognize, because, more often than not, you will be (or at least, SHOULD be) writing in a scale. I wish I'd focused on scales when I started; it really would have helped me.

That being said....

Anarkee, I've never though about doing a scale in two octaves; at which points do you switch strings?
There are several ways to Sunday to play in two octaves. If I have time, I'll try to tab something out and post it up in this thread or PM you.

G|----------------|--------111314--|
D|----------------|--111214--------|
A|--------7-9-1112|14--------------|
E|5-7-9-10--------|----------------|

Tis what happened when I attempted it.
Quote by herby190

G|----------------|--------111314--|
D|----------------|--111214--------|
A|--------7-9-1112|14--------------|
E|5-7-9-10--------|----------------|

Tis what happened when I attempted it.

thats correct, although it isn't the easiest way to finger it.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.

[font="Courier New"]
G:------------:------------:------------:-11-13-14---:
D:------------:------------:--9-11-12-14:------------:
A:------------:--7--9-11-12:------------:------------:
E:--5--7--9-10:------------:------------:------------:

or

D:------------:-----4--6--7:----11-12-14:------------:
A:--------4--5:--7---------:-14---------:------------:
E:--5--7------:------------:------------:------------:

or

D:------------:-----4--6---:----11-12-14:------------:
A:--------4--5:--7-------12:-14---------:------------:
E:--5--7------:------------:------------:------------:

or

G:------------:--------1--2:-----------9:-11-13-14---:
D:------------:--2--4------:--9-11-12---:------------:
A:-----2--4--5:------------:------------:------------:
E:--5---------:------------:------------:------------:
[/FONT]

A couple more patterns of several (A major), point being if your fingers can't reach the next note or you are heading to another scale you can line up your fingers. All you are doing in counting out intervals.

I recommend practicing scales by doing all of them in succession by following the Circle of Fifths (C,G,D,A,E,B,Gb,Db,Ab,Eb,Bb,F) and the Circle of Fourths (C,F,Bb,Eb,Ab,Db,Gb,B,E,A,D,G) to define the order played.

After a while you can start picking out chords/arpeggios by ear which will greatly enhance your ability to play or create bass lines. Scales are the fundamentals of music, unfortunately very few teachers explain more than just telling the student "to learn them".

Once you start messing with the scales (not just the majors and minors) and practicing them as Etudes rather than just linear, you will be amazed at how many songs just "appear out of nowhere" during practice.
Last edited by Quintex at Jun 9, 2010,
I do 2 Octave scales like this (although I'm sure there are other ways):
In A major:

G-------------------------------6--7--9--11--13--14
D------------------4--6--7--9-------------------------
A--------4--5--7---------------------------------------
E--5--7-------------------------------------------------

And in D Major:

G------------------4--6--7--9--11--12--14--16--18--19
D--------4--5--7--------------------------------------------
A--5--7------------------------------------------------------
E--------------------------------------------------------------