I have been thinking about this for a while, and I have finally saved up around $400 for an amp to replace my Frontman. I had been set on finding a laney vc15 or a classic 30 for a while now, but then I got to thinking.
I'm (presumably) leaving for college in 2010, and because I am planning on using my amp only for practicing/jamming/small gigs? in the near future, I realized that 30w, even 15w, may be too loud for a dorm. Plans change, however, and I want to be prepared. So what should I do? I was thinking that I would get something like an AC4TV, Class 5, or silverface Champ, but I am afraid that they won't be loud enough--but the Peavey may end up being too loud for everyday use.
I play mostly classic rock, but cleans are important too b/c I do a little jazz too. Built-in effects arent necessary b/c I am beginning to assemble my own pedals, but an effects loop would be nice. (Pretty unrealistic, though, in a five-watter). Also, $400 is my absolute limit because my rig is pretty lackluster at the moment.
i dont know man.... i'm a huge fan of my classic 30. great cleans. not quite fender great, but still great. good drive too for classic rock.
volume's never been a problem for me in my bedroom, but i can see how you might want something a little smaller.
Blackstar HT-5 has an FX loop, not the greatest cleans and almost no clean headroom but definitely solid. Very nice OD channel, does classic rock and low gain stuff well with the gain rolled off and the volume up a bit.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Quote by bobdigga
headphones are your friend.

How many decent tube amps have a headphone out?
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Go with the 30w. When you're playing with people, you're always glad you have some extra power
Quote by bubb_tubbs
How many decent tube amps have a headphone out?

If you like it, Blackstar HT-5. If you don't mind modellers (and there ARE good ones), almost all of those. The Marshall Studio 15 would be a good one on the higher end. There are plenty more, I just dunno every amp =P
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Classic
Randall RM100 Combo w/ Plexi, JTM, Ultra, Recto, and Brown Modules
5W is ok for practicing by yourself but next to useless for jamming unless you mike it up. You can always turn a 30 down when you need to but you can't turn a 5 up as loud as a drummer.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Phantom123
If you like it, Blackstar HT-5. If you don't mind modellers (and there ARE good ones), almost all of those. The Marshall Studio 15 would be a good one on the higher end. There are plenty more, I just dunno every amp =P

I'll ask again - what decent tube amp has a headphone out?
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
The solution imo would be the Classic 30 (although I'd rather the Laney) AND some sort of Pod. Use the pod with headphones when you need to be quiet plus you could use it as an FX unit in front of your Classic 30 when jamming with your buddies.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If you aren’t going to play metal just get a 30 watt Valvetronix amp. You’ll get great tones for jazz and rock, a headphone out, save yourself from having to keep a couple cables and pedals in your dorm room, and it’s light enough to haul around to jams and gigs. If you really must have a tube amp you could always get the classic 30 and a pocket pod for playing in the dorm.
might be a little budget crunch, but look into the egnater tweaker. 15 watts and amazing cleans as well as amazing dirt.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/