Hey all,

I'm working on my friend's guitar; a 1986 Squier Strat to be exact, and I just changed the strings to 12-56's cuz he wants it set up for Drop B. Anyways; question being, when I tuned it; I noticed the trem was sitting WAYYYY high; so I loosened all the strings off to relieve the tension; and now I'm wondering if I would have to add springs, or remove one to compensate for the heavier gauge of strings.

Thanks!
My Gear:
Fender Squier VM Jazz Bass
ESP LTD B-5E
ESP LTD EC-330FM
Ibanez RGD7421
Jackson DXMG
Line 6 Pod X3
had the same problem on a yamaha guitar. one extra spring seemed to do the trick
ESP f-400FM with EMG Actives
Ibanez GIO
Epiphone V with Seymour Duncan Invader
Epiphone Explorer with Dragonfire Actives

Line 6 Spider 3 120 watt with Line 6 Pod and Digitech Whammy Pedal
For .12s, even in Drop B, I would have at least four springs in the back and I would tighten them until the back of the bridge is set against the top of the guitar, then give it another half a turn on each side so the bridge won't lift up during manual bends.

Though given how tough it will be to really make much use of the vibrato like that and given how much it will struggle to stay in tune, I would just add a fifth spring, tighten them all the way and forget the vibrato, just block and lock it like a fixed bridge.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Would I be able to block it without adding the extra springs? There's 3 in there right now; and I was thinking of just getting a piece of wood cut to fit the gap. Just based on the fact that there's no where within 2 hours that I know of that sells Trem springs
My Gear:
ESP LTD B-5E
ESP LTD EC-330FM
Ibanez RGD7421
Jackson DXMG
Line 6 Pod X3
^Just block it dude
I had the same problem lulz. I put 10-52's on my Squier :/ Bridge came up a heckload, couldn't find wood so i used lego blocks Worked a charm
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
You can block it without adding the extra springs, but it's wise to do both. On my Strat I've stuck wood in on both sides of the sustain block, between the guitar and the springs and added all five springs and tightened them a lot. The more you block it, the more tone and sustain you win back.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Awesome, thanks guys. Ill have to settle for just wood until I can get my hands on some more springs though.
My Gear:
ESP LTD B-5E
ESP LTD EC-330FM
Ibanez RGD7421
Jackson DXMG
Line 6 Pod X3
If the bridge is sitting high your supposed to TIGHTEN the springs. Not loosen them.

Try doing it right, lol, and tighten the springs to lower the bridge.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Adjust the claw on the back. Turn the screws in to add tension.As previously stated, you may also have to add more springs or heavier springs.
dngrsdave

Heavy Metal Thunder