What's a good tube amp for a rhythm guitarists? I enjoy playing rock, pop, metal, basically all styles.

How about tube type in general, EL 34, 6l6?

My Guitar: Stratocaster with a Dimarzio Fast Track 1 in the bridge. Budget, $2000.
"teh most gains"
Last edited by mountain2012 at Jun 9, 2010,
uhhh a vintage marshall slp full stack. lol we need more info. like guitar, budget etc
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
Any Marshall with a tube head would sound good in any of those genres, but an Orange amp (it's REALLY PRICEY!) sounds amazing and may do the trick. Peaveys are okay, but have less quality than the other two, BUT are much cheaper.
My Band:
http://khamsin.bandcamp.com/

My Rig:

Fender Jaguar HH Special ->
Boss TU-2
SP Compressor
Ernie Ball VP Jr.
MXR Carbon Copy
Boss DD-20
Boss RV-5
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
Fulltone OCD
Vox AC15CC1
Hmm, Line 6 Vetta would be worth a look. EVH 5150III is fairly versital, as is the Mesa Roadster/Roadking.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
rock, pop and metal? with a budget of $2000, might i suggest you experiment with a few amps?

because honestly, if you have $2000, you shouldn't be coming on the forums asking us what amp to get, you should know this on your own. You know what i mean?

If you don't know what you want, then i'd suggest you do not spend all $2000 first. Take $500 of the budget, buy a used classic 50 or something.

experiment from there, then move up the gear ladder. don't blow all $2000 on something if you're not actually sure what you want, you will regret it.
Last edited by sharp__edge at Jun 9, 2010,
i say orange ad30.
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

Quote by Skagasm
i say orange ad30.

AD30 isn't really suited for Metal.

Depending on how varied your tone gets in regards to effects and such a Vetta or Axe-Fx might be the way to go. I'd also look into a DSL and a Peavey 3120 (might not be able to pull off classic rock).
Quote by Shabadoo
AD30 isn't really suited for Metal.

Depending on how varied your tone gets in regards to effects and such a Vetta or Axe-Fx might be the way to go. I'd also look into a DSL and a Peavey 3120 (might not be able to pull off classic rock).

are you serious cause this sounds pretty saturated to me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8OA41yJKW0
roland AC90

Quote by sharp__edge
because honestly, if you have $2000, you shouldn't be coming on the forums asking us what amp to get, you should know this on your own. You know what i mean?
Jesus Christ, this. In my opinion, if you have to ask, you shouldn't be spending more than a couple hundred.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by Skagasm
are you serious cause this sounds pretty saturated to me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8OA41yJKW0

Umm maybe someone should tell you that tube saturation =/= metal tone...

Also, to all of those people saying that if you have to ask then you shouldn't spend that much money:

Not everyone is educated on all of the amps that are out there. They may not have shops like GC or Sam Ash near them that carry lots of amps, therefore they need to rely on other people to help them make a good decision. Just because you don't know anything about amps doesn't mean you shouldn't be allowed to have good tone.
what are your favourite bands, guitar-wise? Who are your guitar idols?

That can say a lot about the sort of tone you would like.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Umm maybe someone should tell you that tube saturation =/= metal tone...

Also, to all of those people saying that if you have to ask then you shouldn't spend that much money:

Not everyone is educated on all of the amps that are out there. They may not have shops like GC or Sam Ash near them that carry lots of amps, therefore they need to rely on other people to help them make a good decision. Just because you don't know anything about amps doesn't mean you shouldn't be allowed to have good tone.

lol i know i was telling another guy that an ad30 can get very saturated. when i saw maylene and the sons of disaster they had one and it was pretty saturated. your yelling at me for something we agree on...
roland AC90

Quote by i_am_metalhead

Yes but that doesn't change the fact that if he has to ask, he clearly doesn't have much experience with gear isn't it?

Good tone is not only about a good amp and a nice guitar. It's also about knowing how to use it, and knowing how to enjoy it. And that's why i suggested he spend only $500 out of the $2000 budget FIRST.

It's much safer that way. He'll learn much more about tone that way. And likelihood is that 2 years down the road, he's going to thank the heavens we told him not to blow all $2000 at one go.
^ I agree with Sharp_Edge

it might not even be about not knowing about gear, it's just that tastes can change fast, and if he blows $2000 fast on an amp when he doesn't know the specifics of what he wants, well in a year he might be playing completely different music.

With a cheaper amp you can build an experiment.

building up gear is like drawing up a blueprint for the rig you one day aspire to own.
Quote by Tedward
^ I agree with Sharp_Edge

it might not even be about not knowing about gear, it's just that tastes can change fast, and if he blows $2000 fast on an amp when he doesn't know the specifics of what he wants, well in a year he might be playing completely different music.

With a cheaper amp you can build an experiment.

building up gear is like drawing up a blueprint for the rig you one day aspire to own.

Just because you don't know anything about gear doesn't mean that you're tastes are going to change. You can still know what tone you want without knowing what amps/pedals/guitars you need to get that tone.
alright alright.

TS, do whatever you feel is right. I mean of course best thing to do is to head down somewhere and play the amps for yourself. Well since you can't do that, then just let nature take its course i guess.

You've been playing guitar for 15 years, you know that i know that you know what good tone is. And i do know that you know that i know that you know, so just experiment.

On reading my own sig, i realised that one shouldn't try to control and dictate another's style too much. Just do what you feel is right. Anyway its not like the $2000 will be gone forever and can't be earned again.
Last edited by sharp__edge at Jun 9, 2010,
JCM800 and a boost pedal

/thread

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire